Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Springtime Cat Catchin'
[#0000ff][cool]Had plans to hit Powell for a few days. Weather forecast for wind and thunderstorms changed that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Headed for a rare solo trip to the Knolls this morning. Launched at 7 AM. Air temp 45. Lake like glass. Water temp 54...rising to 60 by noon. Looked good. Was good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Started by pitching plastics. Got a thump, a hookset a few headshakes. Walleye? Nope. First of many cookie cutter kitties for the day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Worked several sizes and colors of plastics from shallow to about 7 feet deep. Nothin' but cookies and whities. Whities are gathering. Spawn will be starting in a couple of weeks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Finally put out a minnow on one rod and some carp meat on the other. Kept busy until I ran out of both kinds of bait. The kitties were on the prowl. Most were 16" to 18" cookies but I also got a couple of 2 footers and some 20 inchers. Got a couple of doubles. Much fun. Probably caught over 20. Kept a few for the grill and the smoker. Caught one small mudder early in the morning.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Quite a few white bass, but nothing over about 12 inches. No pokes that felt enough like walleyes to lead me to speculate. Can't prove it unless you net 'em and shoot 'em. Not on this board.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Had one gorilla kitty hooked for quite a while. It had mega shoulders and just swam around...pulling me and my tube behind. It finally remembered a brush pile near shore and powered its way into the structure. Professional long line release. I would have released it anyway but I would have liked to get it to pose for a picture first.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Surprisingly clean at the Knolls after a sunny weekend with lots of activity. Not THAT clean, but better than I expected. The trash bushes were still blooming and I collected a bag full of blossoms. On the way home I decided I didn't want them and put them in a dumpster.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Quite a few bank tanglers gathered along the shallow beach at the end of the access road on the lake. Nice day for fishing but none of them seemed to be doing much as I cruised slowly by an my way out. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glass all across the lake as I made the turn north at Pelican Point. Glass and grass. Spring has sprung. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
You are "catmando" I am "catmandidn't" My son and I have this game. The guy that does the best is named catmando for the trip. The guys that didn't do so well are catmandidn't.
I didn't go for cats this week just Crappie. Looks like you had a good trip. I hope I get to this weekend. Ron
[signature]
Looks like a great trip. My fishing curtailed due to weather and work this next week. Now I am jealous.[unimpressed]
[signature]