Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bait casting combos
Maybe this is a dumb question, but i don't know so I will ask.
When and why would one want to use a bait casting setup instead of a spinning setup?
Thanks!!
[signature]
I use the bait casting set up with bass. I use heavy baits on it with 12 lb test. The lighter baits work better with the spinning rod. The baits I use on it are the spinner baits and crank style baits. The smaller cranks will go on the spinning rod.
[signature]
I'm assuming you've never taken the time to learn how to use a bait caster set up? They definitely have their place and a decent set up is effective with as little as 1/8 oz. Personally, the only time I use a spinning reel is ice fishing and that only because I find them less susceptible to freezing up.

Seems like there's an evolution that people go through with bait casters. Someone will want to try one so they go out and buy a cheap one to see if they can use it. Ask anyone who's decent with a bait caster and they'll tell you that's the WORST thing you can do. Unless you have a bunch of weight on a cheap bait caster, they're not worth a crap.

At that point most people who are toying with them decide they are junk and go back to spinning outfits. I had a friend who wanted to learn to use a bait caster. I told him don't by junk! We went down and bought him a nice little Shimano Curado with a so-so 7' medium rod on the way to Powell.

When we jumped in the boat that next morning, only rod he took was the Curado to fish for stripers and bass. For the first half of the day, he had a fit and wished he'd of brought the spinning outfit but by the end of the day and a few little adjustments to the reel, he found he was getting along with it with 1/4 oz. Not great but good enough. After 3 days of fishing with nothing but the Curado, you quit hearing the sputtering and cussing on the other end of the boat. Now when we head anywhere we're going to do a lot of casting, he brings the bait caster and uses the spinning outfit as a back up.

I also think a bait caster is the best set up for vertical jigging. The control and adjustment speed are hard to beat with a spinning set up but that's just me.

Anyway, you ask and I answered. take it for what it's worth but don't knock it if you've never tried it and put some effort in to really make yourself learn to use one.
[signature]
Using heavier lines is the biggest reason I use baitcasters. A twenty pound line will fit on a average sized baitcaster but would require a huge spinning reel that wouldn't match most of the rods that I fish with.

They DO require practice to get to the point you can use them. Buying a quality baitcasting reel is key most cheap models do not have magnets or a centrifical brake to slow the reel when casting helping to prevent backlashes. With these features you can set them high when you are learning and adjust them down as you get better. These features are nice when you are fishing in the dark or casting into stiff winds.
[signature]
Great thanks.
I definitely wasn't knocking the bait casters just didn't honestly didn't know how, when and why they are better. So You really wouldn't use one on the small ponds in the uintas but they are good for Bass or jigging at places like Strawberry? I love to vertical jig at strawberry, so i could probably use one. So the next question what is a decent inexpensive reel? Thanks again to you all!
[signature]
I would look for close-outs and/or discontinued models. When I was in the south they had right hand retrieve BC reels. Me being right handed and from the west and having used spinning reels most of my life opted for the left hand retrieve BC. I like that I do not have to switch hands when casting then switch back to reel the lure in, just me and I might be mocked by the baitcasting purests.
[signature]
Most reels under $100 aren't very good. But, if you do your research. You can find a good reel thats expensive for alot less ie eBay, Craiglist, KSL... You know the drill. Three brands(Shimano, Abu Garica, and Quantum), one style(low profile vs high profile), and which hand you are going to retrieve with(some people switch hands). Also, considerhow heavy to go on the line(10,12,14...). Then, practice-practice-practice.

[signature]
When looking for a bait caster look at all metal frame one piece.

How to learn to cast???

This is about the easiest way...

After you get your reel get some CHEAP line in 30 lb and some weights in 3/4oz and 1/2 oz and 3/8 oz...

Find some room to cast a lawn with room, place a target for easy casting, then hold your rod (fishing rod) at about 10' o clock with the 3/4 weight on and adjust the reel so as when you push the button the weight will fall slowly to the ground and the reel spool stops when the weight dose...

Now try to cast past your target but with your thumb stop the spool so the weight falls on the target...(do not try to let the weight hit the target before you stop the weight in the air)
When you can hit your target five times in a roll with out a back lass do the same with the 1/2 oz and so on ...
When you can do the casting with all three weights the change lines to 15lb or 14lb and do the above steps again, then put on what line and lure weight you want to use and make a few more cast (don't forget to adjust the reel for each weight) ....

Now go fishing, and good luck...
[signature]
You do not need to spend hundreds of dollars on a reel. I have been using Ambassedur' 4600 C3's for decades, retail for $65.00. There are lots of bells and whistles that you can get, but you need basics; ball bearings, instant anti reverse, braking system, spool tension adjustment, ect. Then learn to use it, practice, practice, practice. One little trick to keep from getting huge bird'snests while learning. Strip off about 75 ft. of line. Put a piece of electricians tape over the line on the spool, then wind the line back on. Now, if you get a backlash, it will stop at the tape so if you have to cut it out, you won't go past the tape.

Another tip on removing a backlash. Don't touch it, tighten the drag down as tight as you can, then put your thumbnail on the backlash and turn the handle several turns with your nail tightly against the spool. then freespool the reel, pull the line out till it stops, repeat the process till it is clear. Since the drag does not affect casting, tighten it up when practicing so you can get your backlash's out easier. Always remember to take the tension off the drag before you put it away.

With a bit of practice you will be able to learn pretty quickly.

Good Luck !!!
like stated above accuracy distance line versatility lure choices. Rods of better quality.
If your looking for one the cabelas prodigy is a good one its fair priced.
You will experience backlash when casting.
1. read instructions too your reel, set your brakes too 70% throw 3/8 or so ounce weight on it next push the button keep your thumb on the line and let your weight fall too the ground adjust your reel too just let a wrap or two come off your reel. you know its not set right if the weight falls to fast or does not fall fast enough.
2. Get some tape DO NOT FORGET THE TAPE
3. Cast the Bad boy... and keep your thumb on the line and use pressure to slow it down. and guess what your going too lash now. Pull the lash out If it did not lash pull of 5 or 6 wraps off of the reel and grab the tape now take a strip of tape and tape it across your reel spool NOW cast away and now your protected. When you back lash it will stop at the tape... Thats the best advise I can give you. Itll save you time and money good luck.
[signature]
" DO NOT FORGET THE TAPE"
[signature]