Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tube Taxi and Kitties
[cool][#0000ff]Several of us tubing and tooning types had new PVC mods and other new stuff to try out so we all hit the Knolls this morning for some shaky down cruises. Also caught some fishies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe and I showed up first, about 6:30. Hnaf, Wagdog and DrVeha were soon unloading on the beach too. Then Wildcat94 made it down from Ogden. Only AnglerDan with his new toon mods was not there yet, but he showed as we were all pulling offshore.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I helped TubeBabe get set up and launched before I did...for two reasons. One, I didn't wanna get run over. Two, I had to set up my new Tube Taxi for it's trial run. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Water temp at launch was a chilled down 52. But as the sun hit the water it started to warm up and was almost 60 by the time we left about 1:30. Almost flat calm all day. Made for good fishing even if the catching was a bit slow for some. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe caught the first fish about 8:30...a cookie cutter kitty. I followed with it's twin about 10 minutes later. Then we all had a long spell of no bites or pop and drop. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Finally the water warmed up past about 56 or 57 and the kitties came out to play nice. Lots of hits for almost everybody. But some of the fish were not as experienced and did not know how to hang on. Still, I think everybody got rid of the skunk smell before leaving today. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I guess I was top rod for numbers, with six cats. Three over 20 inches and 3 under. TubeBabe got 3, with one chunky 27 incher that was about 7 pounds.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Big fish honors go to Angler Dan...twice. Two big ol bigguns that were both over 10 pounds...one over 11. Those new PVC blingy thingies on his toon must have helped. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My Tube Taxi was a reincarnation of an old Super Fat Cat float tube that was retired when we got new ones. Still worked fine so I rigged it up with a frame for the motor and battery, added a plastic bin in front to hold the anchor and fish basket, added some ropes and clips and I was set. Took a few minutes up front to get the main connector rope adjusted so I could kick around handsfree when not using the motor. But, once I had it in place I could kick around pretty much without even knowing it was behind me...snugged up tight to the pointed bow of my main ride.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I didn't really need it much for getting anyplace fast or fighting the wind. So once we got down into the kitty zone I unbuckled it and anchored it close to shore while I fished without it. Then, after I had six in the basket and the bite had slowed down, I kicked back over to "Sharkey", hooked up and headed back to the vehicle. Stopped to offer TubeBabe a ride about halfway back. She accepted so I threw her a rope and kicked the motor up to 5. We did not exactly fly across the water but even with both of us towing fish baskets we left a pretty good wake. Also, it was easy to steer just using my fins. No real need for the long extension handle I bought in anticipation. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Great day on the water with some great BFT tubers and tooners. [/#0000ff]

[signature]
Nice work!!! Too bad I don't have the tube for GJT yet.[:/] But soon[Smile]. Good to hear that you got out for some fun. Today for me was a little bank tangling in CO.[cool]
[signature]
Looks like a great day and putting a good tube to good use. Now you can even take more gear.[Wink]
[signature]
Just makes sense! Plus, you can kick the motor up so you can actually launch from shore. Not like the old days with the donut and the float power. Trying to get in a donut with flippers on in a foot of water.
Funny stuff, that right there.[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Okay, so which tube do you license?[crazy]
[signature]
It was fun to float with you and everybody else this morning. It took me a while to launch with the new trolling motor and all. And then I just goofed off for the first little while trying to see how fast I could go with the Endura 45 strapped to my tube. All I can say is that speed 5 is too fast. [cool]

When I finally got around to fishing and to the point area, I washed the skunk off me with an 11" whitie. Used it as cut bait, and then hooked into a 18" channel about an hour later. But that was it for me.

All the PVC mods worked great (of course) when trolling for cats. I still need to get a hard surface apron and I also need to get my bait riggers set up with the clips if I want to go after the kitties again. Last night, I re-enforced the mesh apron with a wood lath and that worked okay. I then used the lid from a bucket as my cutting surface. I think I'll cut the lid from a plastic bin to match the inside of the apron and see how that goes.

Hopefully the whities will be more ready to play the when I go back in about a week or two.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Just makes sense! Plus, you can kick the motor up so you can actually launch from shore. Not like the old days with the donut and the float power. Trying to get in a donut with flippers on in a foot of water.
Funny stuff, that right there.[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Okay, so which tube do you license?[crazy][/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Ah yes, the good ol' donut days. I used to laugh my (posterior) off when I watched people try to climb in a round tube with their fins on. Silly tubers. I learned early to put the fins on the ground with the fronts under the tube and then step into them, pull on the straps, pull the tube up around my waist and back in. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]BUT...that is not possible with the FLOAT POWER, as you pointed out. Since the motor extends down into the water you gotta take it out a ways to get launched. Guess that is ONE of the reasons why I never got one.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been codgertatin' about rigging a V tube (Fat Cat or similar) as a tube tug for some time. As you point out, it is much easier to launch and beach with a craft that unhooks from the main tube and on which the motor can be tilted up. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a few more tweaks on the system to make after the shakedown cruise. Then I will post a complete pictorial on the system...including the simple but effective frame (PVC...what else?) that holds both the motor and battery.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I am sure you already know, I will have to register the tube with the motor attached...and it will be registered within the next few days...before it gets wet again. I can't wait to see the look on the faces of the DMV agent who looks at the picture of the craft I am planning to register. That's why I gave Sharkey a facelift...with new teeth. I hope they don't charge by the tooth.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now I gotta figure out how to set up the wet bar and the barbecue station. Maybe a second deck for the entertainment system and the plasma TV?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you guys were able to join us. Sorry you had to leave early. At least the bad 4 letter word was WORK and not WIND.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also glad that your "power squadron" worked for you. Looked like you were cruising around pretty good. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You will come to enjoy the modular modifications to your tube even more when you get all the refinements worked out. Then you will really have a fishing machine. It is great when everything is right at hand and you have a system worked out that you don't have to worry about when there is fishin' to be done.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We need to hit the lake about two days after the next nice weather settles in. Then you will experience some bodacious whitie whackin' and cat catchin' at those spots I showed you on the map the last time you were here.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude]
[#0000ff]BUT...that is not possible with the FLOAT POWER, as you pointed out. Since the motor extends down into the water you gotta take it out a ways to get launched. Guess that is ONE of the reasons why I never got one.[/#0000ff]
[/quote]

After my first run with the Float Power, I am already wishing I had your setup. I will see if I can return it and look for a used U shape tube. Aside from the motor extending down, it is also a tight fit to put the motor and battery through the small donut hole. Combined that with the weight of the motor and battery, it is a two man job really.

[quote TubeDude]
[#0000ff]I have a few more tweaks on the system to make after the shakedown cruise. Then I will post a complete pictorial on the system...including the simple but effective frame (PVC...what else?) that holds both the motor and battery.[/#0000ff] [/quote]

I can't wait for this. And if I do swap the Float Power for another U shaped tube, I am sure I may need a visit to the tubetorium for some help on putting this together.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You never know unless you try something whether it will work or not. You bought your system in good faith, hoping it would do what you wanted. And, it did. Just not as well as you had hoped. After seeing the V-tube system you now have a basis of comparison and can make a better informed decision.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lots of cheapie Griggs, Caddis and Creek company Uboats and V tubes on the second hand market. As long as the bladders are good that's all you need. Easy to make the frame and tie downs. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I definitely am happy with the simplicity but functionality of my new ride. And with the pockets and extra storage area on the tube I have a lot of options for carrying more gear or even all of the stuff for a float camp trip. I have some dry bags and some bigger plastic bins. I could even mount a large cooler on the front. The key is to do away with the upright backrest and just make a flat platform from front to back. I unbuckled the side straps on my back seat and just laid it back into the hole behind the seat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Once you decide what you are going to do, and find a new "power craft", feel free to bring it by for some assembly assistance. Also, I have a bunch of plastic container lids that you can choose from for a rigid apron (sushi board). That's also something you can find aplenty at Saturday yard sales.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'm a fan of the trolling motor set up. Not that I have one BUT the Doc took pity on me and drug me back in. We got going along at a pretty good clip. Next time I'll bring my water skis.
I also realized something else yesterday. I NEED NEW FINS.
TubeBabe took one look at how I was getting through the water and she said, "You need new fins!"
Wildcat94 showed me what he was using and told me the brand. Just gotta scare some up. It will definitely be nicer for "gettin' around town" and I won't have to wear those heavy wading boots.
I can't wait for some white bassin'.
My wife got a kick out of the pictures. I guess the camera adds 10 pounds. I didn't know you had about 10 cameras pointed at me when you took that picture![:p][:p][:p]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]Once you decide what you are going to do, and find a new "power craft", feel free to bring it by for some assembly assistance.[/#0000ff][/quote]

Can we then have that race? [Wink] We can even setup buoys (or use the other tubers and 'tooners).
[signature]
[#0000ff][#000000]"My wife got a kick out of the pictures. I guess the camera adds 10 pounds. I didn't know you had about 10 cameras pointed at me when you took that picture!" [/#000000]
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][cool]Cameras are diabolical. Worse than truth serum. They tell it WORSE than it is. But then some of us want justice and others want mercy.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
"Can we then have that race? [Wink] We can even setup buoys (or use the other tubers and 'tooners)."

[cool][#0000ff]Wow. One trip with a motorized float tube and you are becoming a boater mentality tuber. You don't understand. Float tubes are for fishing and having a relaxing time on the water...not for pulling a water skier and harassing other tubers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I like your set up with the motor and the way you explained it helps as well. I will show mamatrout and I know she will say make that for me instead.[:p] Can' wait to see you with it out on the water.
[signature]
Well, I know I will be the first one on the water from now on....LOL[Wink]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Well, I know I will be the first one on the water from now on....LOL[Wink][/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Maybe not. Working on a design for a PVC trailer so I can just drive up and launch like you do.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Otherwise, I still ain't worried. You always get there late. You make up for lost time by catching lots of fish, but you are still late.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[Wink]Forget the PVC trailer, just goto harbor freight.[Wink]
[signature]
[quote albinotrout][Wink]Forget the PVC trailer, just goto harbor freight.[Wink][/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, those square PVC tires, with 90 degree elbows on each corner didn't make for a very smooth ride. Not very good mileage either.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I heard the early bird catches the worm, AND I HATE WORMS.....[laugh]
[signature]
WTG TD !!![fishin]

Peter
[signature]