Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ODC 616 PVC Mods
[cool][#0000ff]I know there are several BFT tooners who either have the Creek Company toons or have been asking about them. AnglerDan has the ODC616 and we just finished "blinging" it with all new PVC mods to create the "fishing machine" for which he has been lusting.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Attached are some pics that show the craft after installs. A few words of explanation:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. Dan does not use the oars, so placement of the various components is not affected by potential interference by rowing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. Rather than go to the extra time and expense of mounting clamps on the steel frame, Dan elected to just screw down the cut-down 1/2" PVC Ts that are used to quick-attach all of the modular items. If someone is concerned about the potential for rust they can seal all of the holes with silicone gel as the pieces are screwed onto the frame.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. With this system you can add almost as many rod tubes or utility holders as you wish, along the horizontal frame...using the PVC Ts and either 1/2" or 3/4" size 8 machine screws. Just drill pilot holes in both the PVC and the frame before power screwing them together. You might need to back off the screw a bit if it pulls the PVC too tight and deforms the 1/2" opening.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4. One of the BIGGIES for Dan was being able to install a rigid apron (sushi board). He does not need an apron for stripping fly line but absolutely wanted it for helping to control flopping fish, cut bait and to work with tackle[/#0000ff][#0000ff] items with less potential for loss into the drink. We used the top of a common sized plastic container and drilled holes on either side through which we strung stretch cord to support the apron between the risers. The risers are 10" of 1/2" PVC with PVC Ts on the end to use as handles when inserting or removing the risers from the bases screwed into the frame.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]5. There is also an extension of the rear deck which Dan will be using to carry a dry box or other light load. This extension can handle some weight without adversely affecting the balance of the ride.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Very nice. Glad he has found a way to optimize his space.[cool]
[signature]
Nice work guys. I am glad I was able to see it in action yesterday. [Smile]

[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]4. One of the BIGGIES for Dan was being able to install a rigid apron (sushi board). [/#0000ff][/quote]

I heard Dan rave about it several times and I can see why. I too can't say enough about having a rigid apron. Aside from all the obvious benefits and uses, I no longer have to put jigs and flies in my mouth when I need to make a change. [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Bad idea to keep your bait in your mouth too. But then again...a sushi board is for cutting sushi (bait). Right?[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Here's an easy upgrade to the very flimsy pontoons on the ODC 616. They fit perfectly and can be quickly attached/removed by using 4 ratchet straps. I used the 6' model pair which is a good buy at $100. Very heavy duty construction slides and bounces off of sharp rocks rather than hanging up like nylon fabric. I have used them to go down class 2 rapids without damage.

http://www.mertechengineering.com/store.htm

Pon

[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]I know there are several BFT tooners who either have the Creek Company toons or have been asking about them. AnglerDan has the ODC616 and we just finished "blinging" it with all new PVC mods to create the "fishing machine" for which he has been lusting.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Attached are some pics that show the craft after installs. A few words of explanation:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. Dan does not use the oars, so placement of the various components is not affected by potential interference by rowing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. Rather than go to the extra time and expense of mounting clamps on the steel frame, Dan elected to just screw down the cut-down 1/2" PVC Ts that are used to quick-attach all of the modular items. If someone is concerned about the potential for rust they can seal all of the holes with silicone gel as the pieces are screwed onto the frame.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. With this system you can add almost as many rod tubes or utility holders as you wish, along the horizontal frame...using the PVC Ts and either 1/2" or 3/4" size 8 machine screws. Just drill pilot holes in both the PVC and the frame before power screwing them together. You might need to back off the screw a bit if it pulls the PVC too tight and deforms the 1/2" opening.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4. One of the BIGGIES for Dan was being able to install a rigid apron (sushi board). He does not need an apron for stripping fly line but absolutely wanted it for helping to control flopping fish, cut bait and to work with tackle[/#0000ff][#0000ff] items with less potential for loss into the drink. We used the top of a common sized plastic container and drilled holes on either side through which we strung stretch cord to support the apron between the risers. The risers are 10" of 1/2" PVC with PVC Ts on the end to use as handles when inserting or removing the risers from the bases screwed into the frame.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]5. There is also an extension of the rear deck which Dan will be using to carry a dry box or other light load. This extension can handle some weight without adversely affecting the balance of the ride.[/#0000ff][/quote]
[signature]
Dan was also saying how nice it was to have a work surface to rest his arms on. I'm sure he needed to rest after pulling in that first catfish. That sucker worked him over! Looks good. I need to rig a sushi board soon!
[signature]
I will start by saying that we all are aware that the use of a tube/toon, spare tire, etc... to float the variety of waters adds a great deal of versitaliy and increases the areas that one can fish. I have been tubing/tooning now for 8 years and still remember the feeling of freedom I enjoyed in my first U tube when I was able to get to spots on the shore line that where otherwise unaccessible.

After several upgrades in product I finally thought I had it all with my new kick boat, a store bought strap on rod holder and a rack to hold my tackle boxes. But alas I ran into Tubedude and his tricked out tube and the envy began all over again. His PVCness took mercy on me and was nice enough to invite me over to his magic imaginatorium and the wish list began. It was fun to see his face as I listed off all the items I wanted to create and he soon replied with "Oh so you want a fishing machine". I grinned and the work began.

After 4 hours of blood, sweat and a lot of PVC dust the final product was brought out for its close up opportunity. All I can say is I could not be more pleased with the results. As my fishing partners of Monday have mentioned, I found it hard not to express my new found pleasure multiple times and in a not so quiet tone...lol.

The holders, racks, and especially the hard apron made a huge difference in the perfomance and functionality of the toon. No more fumbling with big fish in my lap as I watch my rod, pliers, etc... to make sure they are not going in the drink while trying to wrestle with 11 pounds of pure muscle. Lure changing and tying was as easy as doing it at home on a table. Couldn't be happier...for now. (Always something around the corner. Mabye a toon tug??)

Anyways, I have enjoyed the feedback from all of you on the tubing page and like seeing the new creations from all of you. Here's wishing all some great spring and summer floats.

As always a huge thanks to TubeDude for lending his labor and his mad tube scientist mind to build yet another great fishing monster. It's alive!!! And I love it.

Dan
[signature]