Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winder & Foster
Does anyone know if Winder and Foster were drawn all of the way down last year? Or if any other of the reservoirs in southeast Idaho were.
Thanks
[signature]
I know Foster was and heard that F&G isnt going to stock it again since it was the 2nd year in a row it got drawn down. As for others I dont know.
[signature]
Winder was not drawn down last year. Foster was to a point to do some work on the dam. Both have been stocked.
[signature]
You are right F&G is not excited about wasting fish. But I know that Foster got some fry -- 1 to 3 inchers last year. I was curious if anyone knew if they survived.
[signature]
Foster also got some 6"+ a week ago.
[signature]
Good maybe they got some assurance on the water level from the Canal Co. I hope so. I used to like Foster before they started draining it. It is nice to have a few reservoirs where you don't get run over by a ski boat.
[signature]
Exactly. Now if they would replant some LMB,BG,TigerMuskie,Crappie and Perch I would be very happy. Actually Crappie would be real nice since there are not many around in the Preston area and where Crappie are at you have the Wake Boarders you have to deal with.

Come to think about it, it would be nice to have some Crappie around the Poky/IF area.
[signature]
the canal company is just finishing there work on the canal. they actualy piped the whole think and are making it pressurized, so they should have no need to drain it next year. i have caught crappie out of foster. i dont know if they plant them or if they come down the line from glendale but in years past they have been in there. im hoping with this pressurized water system the water lvl in foster will stay a bit more consistant and cover can grow for the pan fish.
[signature]
That's really good news. As was said by many, they just need to get some warmwater fish back in there to start doing their thing now. I only fished Winder for about an hour from shore before I moved up here, and I loved it. I was way excited to get my tube out in it someday, and then as soon as we'd decided to ditch Salt Lake they went and drained the stinking thing. It's tough to find places to fish from a tube without fearing for your life. I really hope this all works out.
[signature]
My understanding from talking to a few folks who are users on the canal they say that the crappie in the past were all fry coming out of glenndale and got to the great slab size that they got before the last draw down. Now if some will come out it will be probably 5-6 years before they get to good slab size and in enough of a population to really do much. I agee that I dont know why more crappie arent put in more resevoirs as they really do do well around here for the few that have been put in lakes by F&G but its a myth to me that trout are the number one fish people go for. From what Ive seen, once people find crappie and eat them, omg, they become a top feeder to most all. In checking the F&G website, no stocking of crappie has been done there but doesnt say that Foster being so close to Glenndale some one hasnt put some nice stockers in on their own either.
[signature]
foster was a mud puddle last year...
I went and payed my last respects a 3 or 4 years ago when they drained winder off... Some of the bass there were huge... I was deeply Saddened Wish we could of netted them and took them to condie or glendale.
[signature]
Trout are a put and take and very easily controlled.
Crappie and perch on the other had are not.
Boom or bust- most of the time and I say most of the time there is never a consistency and causes problems with the bio mass of that water. I like catching both and like eating both but fishing quit being a food source for me a long time ago. On put and take fisheries ( most of the small lakes) it's a money return game and it's just easier and more cost effcient to have trout in most of them. You can say "well crappies and perch are self sustaining" but unless everything is right - including the prey predator relationship along with droughts/irrigation taking- it just won't stay good.
[signature]