Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reaction TO Posting Our Catches
In reaction to those who say they don't post anymore because they feel they are harassed for not practicing C&R or for any other reasons:

I am going to start posting my catches- especially the ones I keep and especially the few bass I keep this summer.

[#ff4040]Don't stop posting- please.[/#ff4040] And to those who have stopped, start posting again!!!! Come on back. Lets get this forum back to the way it was years ago!

Ignore those who harass or give un-asked-for advice and sonner or later they will give up. If they don't, then let's just keep on ignoring them. It's a crime to let a few people ruin a good thing.

Come on everyone, lets have a peaceful, enjoyable and enriching exchange of or angling adventures. [cool]

And to those who harass or give un-asked-for advice:

[#ff4040]STOP! [/#ff4040]
I agree. I have let it slide way too long. I will always stand up and advocate for those who wish to keep fish.

It gets a little old when the same arguments and debates keep coming up. If you are a catch and release only fisherman then good for you, nobody that I know of is demanding that you keep some fish (even when you don't want to). I don't see why you demand people let them go. Just do what you want and let others do the same.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good thoughts.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I know I don't post much but I will try to kick it up a notch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]BAM![/#0000ff]
[signature]
The catch and release attitude came into being when nothing was being done to protect some of the fisheries here in the state. Today a better focus would be to practice "slective harvest". Keeping a 3-5lb bass means that you are taking her out of production, removing her genes from the gene pool. Keeping a limit of 10-12 inch bass removes excess biomass from the resource and permits the growth and replacement of those that remain. Bigger fish are usually female, smaller usually male, hence you preseve and repenish the resource when you release the bigger fish and open up space when you keep the smaller males. There is a point where that big fish is no longer putting more back into the resource than it removes, so it also can be safely taken, hence when your 10 year old catches a 5lb bass, you are not going to really hurt the resource by keeping it. Now if you keep a limit of 3-5 lber's, then you are taking too much out.

Slective Harvest and enjoy !!!
Good Points and Ideas, I like everything that has been posted so far on here.
[signature]
I agree with Therapist. My gripes have always been against uneducated harvesting of fish. With some people, there seems to be an attitude that you must keep a big fish because that is what must be done.

I watched Scofield nearly get destroyed due to the 8 fish limit and an uneducated harvest. The attitude that I try to preach is keep average to medium large sized fish to eat (up to 16-18 inch trout where applicable and even 22-24" cutts at the berry) and only keep enough that you are positive that you are going to eat (and not waste with freezer burn) and keep the species that won;t suffer much by removing it from the lake (rainbow trout, etc).

Let larger fish go unless you plan to put it on the wall. Larger fish in general don't taste as good and can become huge fish if you let them live. If all fishermen practised this, there would be plenty of fish to eat yet plenty of lakes would hold lots of big fish. I watched the averag size of tiger trout in Scofield dramatically increase this fall after just 8 months with the slot.

I have no problem with keeping fish but there are ways to make both the meat eater and the trophy hunter at the same time. You don't have to keep everything just because a fish is big!

Regardless, at least post your pictures so the fish doesn't go completely to waste![Wink][:p]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]I don’t keep what I catch but its because I don’t like the taste of trout[cool]. I do love wipers and bass and will keep some to eat. I never ever post a big fish I catch and keep anymore because I get ripped a new one every time I do. It’s good to hear others have the same problem. Ill start posting again and see how it goes but I don’t need to be drug thru the dirt by jealous buttheads anymore![/font]
[signature]
I agree with some of the things that have been said. I agree that bigger fish generally do not taste as good as smaller fish. With that said though, you have every right to keep a fish as long as it is within the legal size and quantity for the body of water you are fishing. Big or small. Many or few.

Everyone has an opinion on what is best for their favorite species or body of water. I understand that. But eventually I think certain bass people in particular need to realize that the bass were not just stocked for their sole enjoyment. They were not stocked just for catch and release - if that were the case the law would reflect it.

But to question and chastise another law abiding citizen, a fellow angler, for exercising his or her rights in a legal manner seems over the top to me.

------------------------

P.S. Look at how many people were avoiding posting because of the guilt trip they get when doing so. Stand up folks, if you enjoy keeping fish and sharing do it. I for one enjoy seeing pictures of fish and I'm glad others enjoy to eat them as much as I do. Sometimes you have to stand up to the bully.
[signature]
I made a BFT new years resolution today

I'm going to mind my own business...
I'm already biting Tongue but my lips can still move a little bit.
Soap box talk suks,,,,,
If you like soap box preaching there is a great place to do it the F&G have meetings and emails and a phone number you can call to voice all of your concerns and your knowledge to them.
Please do us all a favor and help out our F&G make better choices for us all.
Because we are nothing but simple fisherman with a Utah fish and game proclamation to tell us what we can and can not do....
Soap Box Talk Suks.
[signature]
i haven't been a follower of this site for long, however it seems to me that more "preaching" occurs when someone posts pictures of fish that he/she abuses and then releases... which seems to be a legitimate place for criticism and concern. more power to the people who are keeping and possessing fish when abiding by the laws.
[signature]
I agree with about everything posted on here but I want to add that some of us need to grow thicker skin. Getting easily offended when no offense was intended is almost as bad as the person who intentinally offends others. I see no problem with someone correcting another on the proper methods of catch and release (avoiding gills) or their opinions as to what is best for that fishery (in a polite manner). I have sure learned a lot and my fishing practices have changed as a result of the info that I have gleened from this site. I can't believe how easily offended some are on this site at times!
[signature]
"I can't believe how easily offended some are on this site at times!"

[cool][#0000ff]HEY! Are you tryin' to start sumpin'?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Grow some thicker skin Pat. I don't like tubers![:p]
[signature]
I know Ive been apart of this talk too.
But when its the same people over and over and over again that post the same thing over and over again on any post it starts to suk. But that's the beauty of computer its easy to call the shots on a photo. Its easy to troll or flame someone.
for anything they do.
I am just stating that BFT is not what it was a couple of years ago... Due to the soap box talk.
Almost every post done by anyone in the Utah side they are attacked by trolls and we all know who they are.
[signature]
were all getting along..... at least for now[:p]. harvesting fish was part of the tradition of any outing for me growing up. As a youngin waiting to find out what what the bass were muching on ,to try to imitate it the next day. very exciting stuff for a 10 yr old[Wink]. Not to mention fresh fish taken from the day before is possibly my favorite food, yummy[Smile]. i guess its kinda carried over to my adult years. i used to catch a little grief from the guys i go with now, but it was more teasing than anything. After a couple of perch and smallie fish fries, there changing there tune. i personally dont keep trout. dont like the taste, why harvest? All that said i do practice "select harvest" if a fish is leaking eggs out her belly back she goes. Or its obivious shes a lunker and good for the gene pool, i take a pic and let her go!

Ive been to lakes on the UP of michigan, most beautiful lakes ive ever seen. have to drive 30 miles on dirt "roads" just to get there. So excited to catch monsters, only to catch 3 to 4 inch perch every cast cause no one ever fished it so the population was stunted. At least thats what the mich. DNR officer told us. We should never have that problem around here though[Wink] So post all your catch harvest or not. I dont catch any fish[frown] but if i did i would post it! lol

happy Hunting!
[signature]
Sorry I wasn't trying to get preachy. I was actually trying to discourage it. Live and let live. That is all it comes down to.
[signature]
CAN'T WE ALL JUST CATCH A FISH!!! hahahaha[:p]
[quote Jacksonman]I agree with Therapist. My gripes have always been against uneducated harvesting of fish. With some people, there seems to be an attitude that you must keep a big fish because that is what must be done.

I watched Scofield nearly get destroyed due to the 8 fish limit and an uneducated harvest. The attitude that I try to preach is keep average to medium large sized fish to eat (up to 16-18 inch trout where applicable and even 22-24" cutts at the berry) and only keep enough that you are positive that you are going to eat (and not waste with freezer burn) and keep the species that won;t suffer much by removing it from the lake (rainbow trout, etc).

Let larger fish go unless you plan to put it on the wall. Larger fish in general don't taste as good and can become huge fish if you let them live. If all fishermen practised this, there would be plenty of fish to eat yet plenty of lakes would hold lots of big fish. I watched the averag size of tiger trout in Scofield dramatically increase this fall after just 8 months with the slot.

I have no problem with keeping fish but there are ways to make both the meat eater and the trophy hunter at the same time. You don't have to keep everything just because a fish is big!

Regardless, at least post your pictures so the fish doesn't go completely to waste![Wink][:p][/quote]

A perfect example of a unrequested lecture based on faulty information.
[signature]
I apologize for the lecture which I will openly admit is just my opinion. But where is the faulty information? Seriously, help me see where I am mistaken. Tell me, what is the point of keeping 2 30lb macks from the gorge or 8 large trout from Scofield? Why are slots even placed on lakes in the first place.

Just because something is legal does not mean that it is in the best interest of the fishery. I have let my fair of very nice fish go and I have kept my share of fish. But I do want to learn what I can do to improve the fisheries that I visit so help me see the error of my ways.

What was the point of your comment anyways?

Thanks for your help with the ice fishing tournaments by the way.
[signature]
Or it could be someone simply stating their opinion, faulty or otherwise. It depends on how you wish to view it.
[signature]