Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishfinder Question
I have a new fishfinder and am looking to fine tune it. I was just wondering which beam most of you use at a lake such as strawberry. Do you use the 200khz or the 83khz. I know the difference between the two beams but is there one that you've had better success with in pinpointing the fish. Any info or tips would be appreciated, thanks!
[signature]
I've found the 200KHZ ducer is best for most inland fishing. The lower Frequency 83 KHZ is for deep offshore, tracking downrigger weights deeps, or for very deep depths. generally, you'll get better fish finding resolution for most of our waters with the 200 KHZ. The other consideration to consider is the beam angle/ width of the transducer.

Most 200 KHZ ducers offer a 18- 20 degree beam width. In 40' of water, the area you would be looking at the lake bottom would be approx a 10'-14' diameter circle on the finder.

Most low frequency ducers have wider cone angles so they do best for large structures and deep waters.
[signature]
The wide beam is better when searching shallow areas and the narrow beam gives stronger readings for fish that are deep.
[signature]