Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any hints for a Utah Lake Newb?
I have never fished Utah lake before, but I have catfished other places and loved it. I'm gonna take my wife this weekend (Friday and/or Saturday). I live in provo, so I would only want to go as far north as AF harbor or as far south as Lincoln Beach. Any ideas on where to go this early in the year?

Also, It still is gonna be pretty cold in the morning, should I wait till it warms up a bit? Are there any fish that I can go for that will be biting when it is still cooler?

Any help/ hints are appreciate!

I also PROMISE to post any picture of any fish I catch.

Thanks
[signature]
I have just a little experience with that lake I am sure tubedude will give you a hint or two..
If not look up some prior post about utah lake.
I have never shore fished it So i would be of no help there.
But I have fished it in my boat. I have caught them in the marina and all around the marina and out towards bird island, and the inlets. I prefer to fish the inlets and drift fish threw them. Ive caught the white bass and walleye and catfish doing that. Just drifting a worm with light weight.
Dont forget jigs the lake should be turning on. *whitebass*
Its been cold and windy the last week so with the better weather this week and a few warm days it should be great for some white bass action.
good luck and welcome to BFT
[signature]
Welcome aboard C86! Lots of really good caters on this forum and most of them more in the know than myself. You can find a grundle of info in the archives section of the forum that will give you some good ideas on where, what, and when. You didn't say if you were in a boat on shore fishing.

Lincoln Beach is my favorite area just because it is so close to home. Many nice cats are caught from shore along the boat channel at LB. Several good shore spots around to the west of LB too. I like to fish near the rushes with carp meat, shrimp, or minnows. If you have a boat Bird Island can be good too. It is notorious for eating props (voice of experience) so I usually get within a hundred yards or so and drop an electric to work in closer to shore.

I believe the best catfishin' is yet to come. Mid-May and into June is my favorite time. Most guys can catch them all year round so go get 'em. If all else fails you can call it quality time with the wife.

Good luck and best to ya.
[signature]
I think I'm gonna head to Lincoln beach on friday morning/afternoon and AF marina saturday morning/ afternoon.

I will be shore fishing. I'm gonna be using worms or maybe shrimp. If the catfishing doesnt go too good, I bought some jigs to use for white bass. I've got high hopes!
[signature]
+1 to whats been said....PM tubedude with a quick introduction and what you are looking to target and he'll lead you in the right direction. The lake has been hit and miss thus far due to the weather....but I think after this week and a little into next with warm weather it will go off like a cannon....boom!!! White bass and channel cats with a walleye here n there. Mud cats to come shortly after. Should be a fun year and right now is the perfect time to be looking for info as it is going to happen soon. Post when you want to go a few days ahead of time and usually someone will be happy to join in and meet you somewhere and show you a few pointers. See you on the water,

Shawn Murphy

PS: We went to Lincon Beach and managed some mud cats and a channel. Whities are still thinking about it, but maybe you will get lucky. North side....haven't heard a whole lot yet, but a little warmer and it will be great. Baits: Worm and bobber, plastic curly tail jigs in chartruce tipped with worm ....slow reel should catch about any fish in that lake that will bite. Cats: any of the usual baits will owk if they are turned on.
[signature]