Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Option III _Consider it...
When the strawberry post came out a few days ago I remembered something I saw as a small kid growing up in South Dakota and so I shot off this e-mail to the South Dakota Fish & Game:[size 2]

Dear South Dakota Fish & Game Dept.

I grew up in South Dakota and remember in the winter (approx. 1965) on Lake Kampeska (near Watertown) seining for carp through the ice. Do you still practice this form of non-game fish control? We have a non-game fish issue here in Utah and I'm trying to bring to light any possible solutions to the problem. How successful was the seining effort? Where were the fish taken too? Sorry to dust off the old record books but we need to consider all options at this point. Also, if you could direct me to any internet sites about this form of non-game fish control that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Well I got this response for the F&G Dept. in South Dakota:[size 2]

Greetings from South Dakota to an ex South Dakotan. Yes, our South Dakota Game Fish and Parks does continue to remove rough fish, primarily carp, big-mouth buffalo,fresh-water drum, white suckers,and black bullheads from eastern South Dakota lakes. These activities are done in both open water and through the ice primarily utilizing seines that can be 4000 to 5000 feet long. Hoop nets and bullhead pocket nets are also used. Annually our commercial fishing contractors remove and average of one to two million pounds of rough fish. When rough fish numbers become so problematic in a lake we have also resorted to the use of a piscicide called Rotenone. Unfortunately this can be very costly and there is always the chance of reinfestation. The majority of the buffalo and carp get sold to Stoller Fisheries in Spirit Lake, Iowa. They claim to be the largest processor in the United States, annually processing 6-8 million pounds of rough fish a year. The majority of their product is sold to specialty markets on the east coast,namely Jewish food brokers. Also fish are trucked live to the east coast to be stocked in urban ponds for a put and take fishery. The contractor that does the most work for our state is David Raw, Lake Norden South Dakota (605-785-3470). The state of Minnesota also does a lot of rough fish removal and the contact person would be Ray Johannes (651-296-2308). His e-mail address is Ray.Johannes@state.mn.us Hope I have been of some help to you. Not knowing that much about Utah, I was curious as to what kind of problems your Department is encountering.

Ron Meester

Regional Program Manager-Fisheries

Webster, South Dakota

345-3381

As usual I'm sure that this will get filed into the back closet somewhere - but this option could be the answer to alot of non-game fish issues. They have have doing this for 30 YEARS and I can remember them loading truck loads of non-game fish.[/size][/size]
[signature]
Great post. Thanks for taking the time to gather this interseting info.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
I'm sending this back too the top - that's see a few comments from the peanut gallery about what other states do to control the non-game fish.
[signature]
I think we need to give the DWR's plan some time to work.
i have been to alot of other states fishing and the states that have the best fishing are the one's that let predator fish take care the the non game fish.. the DWR IS NEVER NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER!!!!! GOING TO GET CHUB OUT OF STEAWBERRY!!!!!! the only way is to get them slime rockits out of there and put some thing that will take care of the problem like PIKE,MUSKY,WALLEYE..then you might get a world class fishrey!!! but not with the slime rockit's...

from the fuzzyfisher---------------------------------fish on dudes
[signature]
I tend to disagree. The Gorge does not have Pike, Musky, or Walleye and it has it's chubs almost completely desimated.
[signature]
yeah well the gorge has lake trout that would not do well in strwberry so you have to go with what would do well in there.. RIGHT??

fish on dudes -------------------
[signature]
Fuzzy, you're in the minority if you want to trade Utah's cherished family trout fishery for another walleye/SMB water. And while we're on the subject, our walleye waters have problems remaining in balance too.
well you see i dont care one way or another... but the qustion was how to get the chub out of strawberry was it not? and the DWR has tryed for how long??? 40 or 50 years now? NOT DOING A VARY GOOD JOB ARE THEY???? BUT A PREDATOR LIKE CHANE PICKREL,PIKE,OR MUSKY.. MAY BE A BETTER BET..but as for strawberry i dont fish there any way so dont mean alot to one way or the other....

fish on dudes ------------------------------------------
[signature]
[#ff0000]Don't know much about Strawberry either but if the slot limit is to help control chubs, and if the big, fat, thick bodied, Cutt's we picked up this weekend got that way munching on chubs, more power to 'em! I'd say lets support the DWR another few years on this one and see just how dang fat they can get! [/#ff0000]
[signature]
Well if you plant walleye, pike or musky then you change everything about the lake. It managed for trout and kokes if you put any of these fish into it to control the chubs you'll end up with a bigger problem like were did the trout go. I like fishing for something besides trout but in southern utah we don't have anything like that.

I think let the slot limit do what it's suppose to and that's control the chubs not eliminate them. I know the slot works great down south so give it a chance and if all things go as planed you'll end up with tons of huge cuts.
[signature]