Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Crappie, Wipers and Catfish!
Hey I went to Willard three times over the past month in search of crappie in the north marina.

The first time I went I got skunked but noticed two guys on the bank catching multiple crappies, one after the other. I tried to see what they were using and it looked like small green or white jigs. I noticed one guy putting what looked like bait on his hook. I asked him about it and he said he was just using jigs and nothing else. I counted 23 people lining the north marina and only two guys were catching them, and they were catching them frequently. Some of you may have been there and seen this.

The second time I went I bought some berkely crappie nibbles, 1" gulp jigs (the ones in the powerbait sized bottles soaking in the juices), and some anchovy and baitfish scened smelly jellly. I knew the guy was using a scent but wasn't telling me. We ended up catching seven between the two of us. It was alot better than the previous trip but not as good as I hoped. It seemed that small one inch marabou jigs dipped in either smelly jelly scent, or the gulp grubs worked best I believe there was a few dozen people fishing there again although I didn't count. The fish were biting very light sometimes only pulling my tiny bobber only half way down.

The third time was one of the best trips I have ever made to Willard Bay ever! I couldn't get the thought of the guy catching fish after fish out of my head so I had to go back! I ended up buying smaller and lighter bobbers so the fish couldn't detect them as well because the previous trip We again went to the north marina and there were tons of fisherman. I used the same technique as before and caught a couple crappie with my partner within an hour or so. I then thought that maybe the 6# test line was a little thick. I fly fish half the time so I know sometimes the trout are finicky and sensitive with high fishing pressure. I tied on about three feet of 2# test with a blood knot and casted out. Almost immediately I caught a crappie. About three fish later my partner asked me to attach some thinner leader to hers as well. We both averaged probably about one fish every 5-10 minutes. We ended up catching over 20 combined and after about 10 fish started releasing them. I also landed two Wipers that were alot smaller than my crappie. Released them too. It was fun to watch the crowds of asians try to cast out and over us to get to the fish but to no avail. I am asian as well so I find this especially funny. We were out on our float tubes and pontoon but were easily within casting distance. When we got to shore I gave a dollop of the smelly jelly to a lady because she was curious about our technique. I saw her catch a crappie as I was deflating our tubes to put them back into my small civic so it put a Smile on my face. I need to mention I only saw two other fish caught that day. One by a guy and one by the lady i gave smelly jelly to.

When fishing pressure is high you need to adapt and offer a more finesse approach I guess? Well that's what I learned at least. But our trip did not stop there. We were pretty excited to have caught so many fish and with us both being off the next day we were up to fishing longer. We headed to the north dikes and saw a few guys with one of them having one walleye and one wiper. I tried to find out what he was using but really couldn't speak english so I just carried on. It was about a half an hour into sunset and my awesome fishing partner saw tons of fish jumping (carp) in the flooded grass. She casted out a worm under bobber and caught a carp pretty quick. It really made her excited. I decided to use it as bait because I only had a few worms that seemed mushy and dead. We both have a second pole permit so as soon as it was too dark to use bobbers, jigs and lures we casted out and bait fished for catfish. It was phenomenal! I never caught a cat over eight pounds out of the lake. They generally average a pound or two for me at the most. We caught multiple cats over ten pounds along the north dike. I even caught one that I believe to be the state record catch and release fish. We fished along the bottom and used lighted bobbers to suspend baits near submerged brush and weeds. We caught six or seven big cats and like ten small ones. We released all cats.

I now love Willard and think I will go there more often. I just bought a state parks pass so I don't have to pay ten bucks every time. If you see an asian guy and white girl in university of utah sweaters please say hi Smile That is our fishing attire when chilly out. Any BfTers that want more info or have questions, please feel free to PM me. I posted some pics but not all. The pic of my record cat is not posted yet. Waiting to hear back from the UDWR. Thanks k2muskie for the info on the catch and release form. We are headed back up to the north marina this sunday. Look for a green or red dave scadden pontoon, or a browning float tube with fish finder and accessories attached. i will be willing to share fishing techniques as long as you reciprocate.
You are the man!! and Lady!! lol, those are the biggest cats I've seen out of willard! Good job on the crappie also and thanks for the report. I don't fish Willard much but I'm glad you are, awesome pics.
[signature]
Yeah I really had no idea that cats that big lived there. The first big cat i caught was on six pound test and I thought it was a carp so i tightened my drag and decided to drag it in quick or snap my line, wasn't worth the time and fight. Once I saw it's round dorsal fin I loosened my drag really fast and my heart started pounding. Their bellies were huge! May have been pre spawn females? Here's a pic of one of the bellies although it still doesn't do it justice.
WOW, that's a fatty for sure...It looks like momma is going to be fishing on Sunday. (If it's ok with her, lol)
[signature]
Holy cow... excellent catfish dude. Seems like most folks just catch the little cookie cutter catfish outta there so you've definitely beat the house on that deal. Nice work... and good job getting the lady out there with you.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice work. Thanks for releasing the big cats. There are not many large ones in Willard any more and this time of year (spawning) is about the only time they show up for anglers. Torques me when I see folks killing the big ones. The little ones are better eating and they do not contribute much to the gene pool. The big ones need to stay there as spawners.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the "olden days" it was common to catch lots of cats over 5 pounds...and some up to 20 or more. I don't mind catching the small ones, if I plan to keep a few, but the bigguns are fun to play with.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
"Look for a green or red dave scadden pontoon, or a browning float tube with fish finder and accessories attached. i will be willing to share fishing techniques as long as you reciprocate. "
[font "Verdana"][#ff0000]I thought the last of your post was quite funny. I'm the student here; the best thing I could reciprocate back is the best place to get a burger on the way home! Loved your post, best on here in a long, long time. Thank you for sharing.[/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Verdana"][#ff0000]I'm in a burgundy/silver Tracker Targa if you want to say hello and school me some more![/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
[cool]Awesome post and pictures! I am glad you went back and got into the crappies and catfish. I am heading up there this weekend for my first ever fishing trip to Willard. Sent you a PM for some help.
[signature]
Great fish man. Those slabs make my mouth water! The cats are impressive to nice job - I have not seen many cats that size come out of willard.
-----
Tubedude might be able to help me out here - When I was younger my dad took us to this bird refuge. There was a long canal type looking thing and the water was coming down through some kind of gate. This was near or right next to willard.

Anyhow a guy was fishing there for channel cats and he landed a hog. 20+lber. I was pretty impressed.

I believe this place was closed shortly after this due to vandalism or something?

-----
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I think you are referring to the inlet canal that brings in water from the Weber and Ogden Rivers. It is regulated upstream and they can increase or decrease the flow as needed to maintain the desired level in Willard. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are two sets of "baffles"...one to the east of the road and one right at the beginning of the inlet channel of the lake. In spite of heavy flow and difficult navigation around the baffles there are a lot of fish that fight their way up into the area between the two obstructions. Cats are especially good at negotiating fast flows and they probably do some spawning up in there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is not currently posted but is subject to the walleye closure during March and April. Otherwise you can fish in it and there are plenty of fish to be caught.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Attaching a picture of the inlet baffles. Look familiar?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
congrats on the big cats and thanks for the post. Had no idea there where cats of that size anymore. thanks man
[signature]
Man Bearnk82, that report is one of the best I have read in a long time. It was so good in so many ways ... helping others when others wouldn't help you ... sharing great tips ... demonstrating perserverance ... catching several species ... and the big cats ... oh my my my!

I nomonate you for the "best post of the month" (if there ever was such a thing).

My new moto: When bearnk82 posts, I read!

Good job man.
[signature]
Great story and Pics. Tremedous cats!! I have put alot of hours on that lake fishing for something bigger than 6 pounds and those are some dandies. I second the appreciation from TubeDude on putting back the spawners. Willard is always good for a cat or two if nothing else. Great job!! I will make sure and say hi if we run into each other.
[signature]
I now feel inspired to give Willard a second chance. Nice post and better fishing.
[signature]
Very nice, I've only been out there twice and struck out both times. I was planning on going out early this Saturday if anyones intrested. I'll definatly try out your tips and thanks. I'll be in a blue four door colorado, or pm me.
[signature]
+1 to what coot said. This is a good detailed post. YOu showed us the process that brought you to fish....not instant gratification, but it payed off big in the end. Also, thanks for the C and R as those cats are good for breedin, not too good for eatin. Hope they are baking us up some more cookies [Smile].

Thanks for the great post man!!

Shawn
[signature]
Thanks for sharing the information about catching crappie. Your report is extremely helpful and your pictures are very impressive. What time of day were you fishing? Some of your pictures look like you were fishing in the dark.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, maybe I can get there Monday
[signature]
Fished in the night for catfish and caught the crappies a little earlier. Got there around two o'clock and fished for crappie until about seven before moving over to the dike for cats.
Killer report and pictures. It has been a number of years since we have had any reports of cats that big and boy are they good looking fish for being that large. Way to go and thanks for sharing.
WH2
[signature]