Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sturgeon line
i have a reel that needs some new line and i was wondering what everyone out there is using and why
[signature]
I've always used 50 pound berkley big game monofilament for sturgeon. All I've ever used and have no reason to try anything else. Never broke my line fighting a fish. Broken my knots before because I tied them bad but thats it. On my smaller poles I usually just buy the spools and do it myself but with the sturgeon reel (use a penn 330) I just go to sportsmans and they'll line it in just a couple minutes for about 6 bucks
[signature]
i have used many different lines for them. i would definately shy away from using any type of braided line. they can cut sturgeon with their thin diameter and low stretch, plus once it touches a rock it usually almost breaks. so monofilament is the way to go. berkley big game is a great line for its price. i use a minimum of 50lb test. it depends where you fish what pound test you should use. if you are willing to spend a little extra money- sportsmans warehouse carries a spool of P-line 50lb test back in the back, you can get your reel spooled up there. it works great around rocks and it casts really well and is very manageable. i also have heard some great reviews on Ande saltwater line. i haven't tried it but i am planning on it when i need to spool up again.
[signature]
Most guys on the Colombia that fish for over sized run 100 lb. braid such as Tuff Line XP or Power Pro. If you are dealing with rocks off the bank you can run a 25 to 50' top shot of mono for banking it. The pros run Dacron 135 for leaders to prevent cutting the fish as braid is prone to do. A pretty simple set up. Scent for Sturgies is a great bet! Best baits this year have been Squid, frozen Shad, and Sand Shrimp / Night Crawler Combos. For the Snake, Morts are still the class of the field but some success has been coming on shrimp / crawler combos. When fishing morts in heavily fished areas you may want to wrap them in roe netting to prevent the Sturgies from sucking the guts out of the mort without actually taking the bait into their mouths. They have gotten smarter over the years. [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
I have been using 40 lb for the last 4 years. This year I am going to 50 lb Big game. Never had a fish break it in the ocean. It is tough.I lost a big one last year after an hour and it shreaded 30 yards of my 40 lb line line. I am wondering how the heavy Ugly Stick tiger stick rods work for sturgeon if any of you have them ?
[signature]
The ugly stik tiger sticks are the #1 boat rod used in the Sacramento Delta. They have been for years. I carry two on the boat for guests to use.
[signature]
the reel already has the tuf-line on it and I've been fairly happy with it but i had a boat run across my line last weekend and his pump somehow sucked my line up and i darn near lost the pole (have fun getting that out of the pump) glad i was cutting some bait and had a knife in my hand so i could cut the line
[signature]
ohhh im in trouble now jsut won an auction on ebay for a penn 330 for $45 didn't think id win crud now my wife is going to kill me any suggestions on what flowers to buy her?
[signature]
I fish 80 pound dacron from my boat on The Snake River. I recently purchased some black dacron off of eBay that was not nearly as soft as the green and white line has been, so I now use a length of leader out of the green and white.
[signature]
yah those tiger rods work great! i love mine.
[signature]
I'm pretty frugal when it comes to fishin for sturgeon. I use the inexpensive 50lb mono from wallyworld. 7/0 hooks snelled w/ 100lb dacron. I use shakespeare tidewater 30L reels. Last year in the snake I nailed a big one over 10'. My boat is 52" across the aft and that fish was pulling me backwards up stream. I am confident enough in that line that I can't see spending premium dollars for line. As far as bait goes, if you crappie fish keep some of the heads. Think about, yeah they'll eat anything but the smell of familiar fish parts that you had fun catching and eating brings 'em in as well or better than something you're going to pay for and have to store in the frig. Fish On!!! Hogger.
[signature]
Witch ugly stick tiger sticks would be the best to use here when tossing 8-10 oz. ? We used a similar but lighter rod at the Mothball fleet that had a nice soft tip but a good med to fast taper. Left it at my moms to use in the ocean when I visit.
[signature]
That sucks having a boater grab you line. I love that Tuff Line XP but breaking it can be a real pain! I carry a stick with tape wrapped around it for winding the line around to break off snags. I'd hate to have to fight a jet boat for my rod! [Image: surprised.gif] [img]../../../images/gforum/scaredworried.gif[/img] [img]../../../images/gforum/happy.gif[/img]
[signature]
well i picked up 300 yrds of some tuf-line xp off of ebay for way cheep so i'll use that. as for bait i always use crappie heads, morts, sucker meat, and heariing in wine sauce from winco or fredys that i tie onto the hoock with string. In fact the biggest fish i casught last year 8ft 6 in came off of the hearring
[signature]