Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Trip
So my wife just moved to Idaho and have a week before my job starts. To celebrate we have decided to go on a fishing expedition. I have not been fishing since I was in boy scouts, so I am appealing to this forum to help us decide what to do. A few details:

We live in Boise
Our budget is $300 for everything
We would prefer to eat what we catch
renting a cheap boat is a plus

Where should we go and what type of gear should we keep an eye out for?
[signature]
welcome to the forum! im sure some boise guys will chime in and give you some directionj on where to go. as far as equipment $300 is more than enough to get you going i could do it with $100.
[signature]
I am not in Boise, but you might try the community ponds. Some of them are listed here:
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/ffw/de...on_ID_FK=4
[signature]
PM sent
[signature]
You can get your basic gear at Cabelas - the folks there are helpful and will set you up with what you need, plus you can get it all done in one place. They often have good deals back in the Bargain Bin. You can catch trout in the Boise River with bait, lures or flies. Most will be hatchery fish. It's a free country but please consider releasing wild trout - they are the ones whose adipose fins have not been clipped. The river is high right now so your best bet is going to be in stillwater. There are several ponds throughout town along the river that you can access from the greenbelt and are frequently stocked with trout. Trout, bass, bluegill, crappie & catfish can be caught from shore at small ponds all through the valley - places like the Caldwell Ponds in Caldwell, Wilson Springs in Nampa, Sawyers Ponds in Emmett - there are a ton of them. Having a small boat, canoe or float tube helps in the ponds. Fishing the bigger water like the Snake River, CJ Strike, Brownlee Reservoir is much easier if you have a boat. The best thing to do is make friends with somebody who has a boat.

Good luck, have fun and let us know how it goes.
[signature]
There is a temporary store on Milwaukee across from Home Depot, and next to the import store. They have some unbelievable bargains on fishing equip. if they haven't sold out. I bought Eagle Claw downrigger poles that are $39 and more on Ebay, and they are selling them for $10. All their waders, most big name stuff, selling at $18. Great spin combos for next to nothing, and all good brands. This is Black Sheep goods. Better get there quick; it was flying out of there. Mike
[signature]