Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snake River Smallmouth - Report
Went smallmouth fishing below American Falls Res. on Friday. It was a beautiful day to be out with sunshining and very little wind. I went with Steelfisher and another neighbor who says he is looking for a BFT name. I suggested he should go by FRONTOFBOATMAN for reasons which I will not disclose. [cool] I am just jealous because he managed to pull in 7 smallmouth. Most of them out of one hole. I ended up catching 5 and Steelfisher caught 2.

The conditions were very tough as far as the water temp is concerned. We checked the thermometor regularly hoping for an upswing in temp, but it remained between 44-48 all day. The name of the game was fishing as slow as you can stand and then go slower. I only "felt" one fish bite the other ones I caught by watching my line and when the line seemed to not be following the natural flow of the seem line between fast and slow water I set the hook. Steelfisher said "I was either sensing them sniff or fart" on the jig. I don't know about that, but I admit that it did take a sixth sense to know when to set the hook today.

Thanks Steelfisher for another great trip. I am lucky to have a neighbor who is willing to stare at the water for ten hours.

Windriver
[signature]
It was a tough day especially for me. Here are a couple of pictures.
[signature]
That's pretty awesome. Do you need a motor on your boat to fish below the reservoir? Or were you floating the river in your drift boat?
[signature]
Well you got me beat. I went looking for smallies last week on The Bear, and I just kept catching trout. They were pretty greedy buggers though. Nice job though, those are some beautiful bass.
[signature]
We use my drift boat but a power boat would be nice. We put in and float 7 miles of river.

With a power boat you could put in and go upstream or downstream and when you are done motor back to the boat ramp and take out.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, that is one of my favorite spring spots, hope work slows down a bit so I can pay it a visit.
[signature]
Well a slow day just means that there are many more good fishing days ahead for you. Besides your name is Steelfisher not smallmouth expert.[Smile] The fact of it is the water temps were just too cold for consistent action.

Thanks for taking the pictures. That one is bigger than I remember. I just wish my hat was on straight so I didn't look like such a dork. karma tells me that you have a 20 incher in your future.[cool]

Windriver
[signature]
We were using a very similiar jig. That is amazing that the browns wanted it.

Windriver
[signature]
I had a bunch of trout hammering x-raps too. They must be hungry up there. Those spider jigs are definitely a favorite for smallmouth, and the largemouth love them too.
[signature]
Shhhhhh........DONT NAME THEM!!! [laugh]

Windriver
[signature]
From now on they shall only be known as those funny jigs with all the stuff on them [Wink]
[signature]
looks like a great day. I would be glad to become "backof theboatman' or "lovetooarboy" on one of those trips in the future.[Wink] great pictures as well.
Paul was injured with back problems so Steelfisher gave him the front of the boat with the best chair. We were teasing him because he had access to the front of all the holes which really did seem to matter in some cases.

I think next time Steelfisher will be more inclined to move the injured guy.[Wink]

Hope we can get out together soon.

Windriver
[signature]
We will have to plan a trip soon with you and Windriver. If we float for say 8 hours and you and Windriver each row 3 1/2 hours I might........ be able to catch as many fish as you guys. But the more I think about it....... probably not.
[signature]
I would be lucky to catch 1. you know I have never really done a lot of bass fishing but the few I have caught sure fight a lot harder than a trout does.