Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stupid fish
Wow what a rough day on the water.
Ever have one of those days where nothing seems to go quite right? [mad]

I had fish this evening practically daring my to catch them and yet my net stayed dry. I had one even (at least it looked this way to me) come fully air born in an attempt to catch my offering mid-flight as a made some low side are false casts under a branch.

Missed at least 3 rise’s and at least 4 actual hook sets ( made contact but the fish won .. think my hooks may be dull) 2 of the missed hook sets were when the fly was just dragging, half submerged, as I panned the water to prepare for my next cast

Perfect dead drift on a known feeding fish nada ……. Sloppy drag at the end of the drift where you did not think a fish would even hold …. Hay what the AHHHH a fish

Just one of those mixed up days where good = bad and bad = good

Huh oh well just had to vent
until tomorrow
peace
jim[fishin]
[signature]
Been there oh sooooo many times.
I was feeling every word.
[signature]
Ha ha ha ha thats funny. Been there many times as well.
And thats why they call it fishing and not catching. Im
sure that you will have a much better luck next time.[Wink]

Peter
[signature]
we have all been there at one time of the other... its part of the sport.. but one question.. beyond the frustration of not getting any fish.. did you learn anything on this outing??? I know for me every time I go out I learn at least one thing.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Well I think I noticed quite a bit and learned at least a little. The “what fly to use and when” for me is still more mystic then science but the two are slowly closing in. I was on a good run. I guess if nothing else I learned “be ready to set the hook at all times no matter what you are fishing or how”

peace
jim
[signature]
thats the whole point.. you learned something.. and thats what its all about.. entomology is a mystery to me as well..

as for setting the hook.. always keep an eye on the line.. you never know when a fish is gonna want a taste of your fly.. I was tossing a renegade near a reed bed a few weekends ago and giving the line a little tug to make it drift toward me.. it surprised me when it I saw my line reverse direction and head toward the reeds.. I tightened my line and lifted the rod and ended up with a nice size bluegill on the hook.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]