Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 15 May
We also hit Willard on 14 May...got there about 11. First Willard skunk. The day began looking very ominous…very dark clouds over the mountains and to the SE with lighting way off and then about 3PM Mother Natures big blow started and this time we were over on the North Dike.

Life jackets on and it was a 5-7MPH ride back across the bay to get to the North Marina...them waves were definitely over 4' and we'd dip into a wave and crash over the top with water spray soaking us. It was the Dangerous Catch for sure without the catch'n or retrieving crab pods. [shocked]

But not to be halted...we hit Willard again on Saturday. Got there earlier about 0845. Man was the North Marina packed with tubers.

Water temp was 55* and at the end 59*. Did hit 61* for a short time. Overall 180* opposite of Friday…sunny with only slight breezes most of the day.

Decided to change up our usual K2 routine of trolling and employ some casting. We slowly motored over to North. When I turned around there a small armada of tubers (probably 20 plus) also making their way to the North from the North Marina.

Man those tubes come in all shapes, sizes, colors including amazing what guys put on them. The North end of Willard was nothing but tubers and a few boats working cautiously amongst them.

Anyhoo found a spot in about 10' of feet of water away from everyone a couple of tubers were out in deeper water. We noted all kinds of fish breaking the surface and moving very fast. Yep Wipers chasing fry (but we never saw any fry/minnows/shad). We broke out the super lite rod/reels...kids old Zebco 33s and began casting with a jig down about 3-4’ from the bobber. We we’re definitely being teased by them Wiper…some breaking the surface just a few feet from our boat…and all over the area we we’re at.

Experimenting I removed the bobber casting and letting the jig sink and slowly jigging back to the boat. Whamo Wipers on the cast on light equipment and line. A lot of fun…Nothing huge largest went 18”.

Fish’n partner had two nice Wiper hits but missed the hook set. Ended up boating 3 Wiper and one nice Crappie while missing numerous other hits…rusty at casting.

I’m sure if we would’ve stayed in that area we would’ve limited out on Wiper and Crappie within a very few short hours.

Now still searching for them Walleye we pulled out and began to troll. About an hour into the troll fish’n partner notes her rod having a slight bow…grabs the rod and yep fish’n on and by the lack of aggressive fighting was it a Cat or Walleye???…up to the boat it comes and FINALLY YES...YES…YES first Walleye of the season and to boot it was on one of fish’n partners homemade worm harnesses. Wahooooooooooo…fish bumped out at just over 21”.

Trolled for a little while longer than headed back to the casting area we started out at. And ended up boating two more nice Crappie...missed several others along with some huge 'mystery' fish that gave me a fight for almost 5 minutes before the jig popped free. On the light line I didn't want to muscle it to the boat for fear the line would break...oh well one of these days. We did mark 3 huge fish suspending about a foot off the bottom in 12' of water...was it a Carp of giant Willard Cat [:/] ????

Here's the take for the day...3 Wipers, 3 Crappie, 1 Walleye...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice work. Shows that you have the ability to observe conditions and to find a pattern. That usually takes a few years experience and some creativity. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just as a reinforcement, I always use lighter tackle and about 6 pound line maximum for wipers. Only time they break me off is when I get a tandem hookup. Sometimes I can only fish a single jig. Good problem to have.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad to report that I was not among the pesky horde of tubicators. Uncouth bunch. How dare they mess up all that lake for the serious boaters? A short time ago I was about the only wacko tuber who braved the journey from the marina to the dikes. Now every floatation fanatic hits it. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad I usually plan my excursions for the weekdays. But it looks like I outsmarted myself this week. Nice weather yesterday and today but gonna be windy tomorrow...the day I had planned my next Willard assault. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Maybe Mama Nature doesn't like us tubers no more.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Great report [:p] Sounded like fun! I really enjoy catching wiper on the cast.
Thanks for the report, Maybe we will see each other on the water.
fnf
[signature]
Well TD for once, I hope you are wrong about the weather. I used a personal day to test out my tube at Willard tomorrow because I wanted to avoid the crowd. Bummer.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I am NEVER wrong about the weather. MY forecast is always "FAIR AND SUNNY WITH OCCASIONAL HEAVY STORMS". It is the forecasting services that are usually wrong. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A composite forecast for Monday...from several forecasters...all include wind. Anything more than about 5 mph is enough to make me doublethink my plans. When everybody is forecasting 10 mph winds...well, I just make other plans. Wind and float tubes do not go together well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck. I hope the FORECASTERS got it wrong.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice post, thanks for the info. Fish looked great!
[signature]