Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smallmouth Report 5-15-10
I brought Steelfisher's brother down and met him below American Falls on Saturday morning. He had been camping and scouting things out for a couple of days with his wife and son. We didn't get on the water until about 11:00, but it didn't seem to matter because the water needed time to warm anyway.

The day started out well as we found a good spot right off the bat where we landed six smallmouth. We fished several of our goto spots picking up a fish or two at each one. Then we hit the jackpot and found a hole where we landed 17 and dished out several LDR's (Long Distance Releases).

Then it got better as the fish turned on and sped up so Steelfisher could catch them on lipless crankbaits instead of the slowly fished crawfish patterns. I went to my tube baits since that is what I am confident in.

As the sun went down we reflected on an awsome day of smallmouth fishing. We also talked about the fact that we hadn't seen a boat in hours. All of those tournament type bass boats must be so good that they got tired of catching fish by 5:00PM.[Wink]

Overall it was our best #s day for big smallmouth ever. We didn't get any over 20"s but Steelfisher did land one that was 19 1/2. My best was about 18". Not one of them was under 12". We landed 41 smallmouth and the five rainbows were a bonus.

We didn't spend any time on the carp, but Steelfisher caught some huge ones the day before.

Thanks for another awesome day.

(Steelfisher will add pics later)

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Planning on heading down monday, hopefully we'll find some good spots. Either way we'll probably do some population control on the carp.
[signature]
You guys are good. I fished that area for 3-4 hours on friday afternoon and the only thing that took my crawfish jig was a 15 lb carp. Good fight on an ultralight with 6 lb line. Could not find the bass though.
Fishing was a lot better on Saturday. Thursday we landed 12 smallmouth and a bunch of carp. Friday we only landed 4 bass and a few carp. Then like Windriver said Saturday we landed 41 smallmouth and 5 rainbows.

We also had the carp eat our crawfish jigs and then pull the drift boat around on tackle too light for that big of fish.

Attached are a few pictures.
[signature]
Great report thanks for sharing. Those are some nice fish sounds like you nailed them. I am jealous.

jim[fishin]
[signature]
That dog in the first picture is very happy about the fish.
[signature]
Great numbers for sure, I just love getting anything over 14". Great report and makes me want to head over there and get some.
[signature]
I wouldn't say we are good. I would say we are obsessed. When we fish we fish very hard meaning that we take a big river and break it down into small parts and then we break the structure of the day down and hit it from every imaginable angle.

From what we could see most people were just fishing it too fast.

Windriver
[signature]
Sounds like I'd better go bass fishing in the morning. It's finally on!
[signature]
Our dog gets so excited that she becomes a nuisance. She climbs all over the boat barking when a fish is on.

On Thursday she got a treble hook stuck into her back leg and I had a tough time keeping her from biting at it which would have been really bad if she had the second treble stuck in her mouth.

Note to self: Don't leave a rod laying in the boat with a Rapala rigged if the dog is with us. Or better yet leave the dog home.
[signature]
Dogs are great entertainment, excitement, and frustration value when the fishing is slow! [laugh]
[signature]
Our dog loves to go with us, but barks if someone wades out in the river. He spends his days chasing butterflies and moths in the yard, so guess what he does when a lure comes whizzing by. We haven't hooked him yet, and haven't cured him of chasing, either. I'm still working up the nerve to put him in the boat.
[signature]
sweet pictures... It looks like the weather was just about perfect as well. Great job!
Do you put in a massacre rock and then where do you take out? How long of a float is it?
[signature]
Yes put in at Massacre Rock float 7 miles and take out at Coldwater.

Good Luck
[signature]