Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WLG, Watts Bar tailrace, Striper, Bream,Shellcrackers,Bass,Crappie, 5/16/10, Troy
Wel I finally done went and caught myself one of those durn stripers everyone talks about. Pulled up to the dam this morning just before daylight and started throwing the cast net...could find no threadfins..no gizzard shad...but we did find a few small drum. Well guess what....they make very good striper bait!! So there we wuz!!!! Just threw my three way rig into one of the boils and had just settled in when my front rod's clicker started humming a very high pitched song!! It was quite the fight for about 2 minutes in the swift water but with my heavy big cat tackle I whopped him pretty bad!! emoCool This is the VERY first one of these I have EVER in my life caught!! It was only 7 lbs according to my scale...DANG lyin Scales!!! emoBang I woulda sworn it was at least 10 lbs...but o well what a great way to start the morning. We hung out for awhile longer at the dam then moved down river in search of some bluegill or shellcrackers. I did find a few very small shellcrackers and some small bluegills but not what I was looking for. Caught a few bass as well and then went back to the dam ans watched as troy hung into something that whopped him pretty bad. Never turned its head with his big cat tackle.....he kept screaming something about lets cut the rope and go chase it down...and i WAS looking for the knife...but then it spooled him and snap!!!!..Then the cryin started emoBawl emoBawl ..Yep he was pretty tore up!!! Maybe next time!! It was a fun day. No shad to be found in the tailrace at the bar....water temps were 66 to 75 depending on where you were. Here a pic of the little feller I caught today!