Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry/Deer creek report 08/01/03 & 08/02/03
Went to Strawberry on Friday with Fishcrazy, fished Jakes bay(chicken creek east) we only caught three but they were some nice cutthrouts, 14 to 17 inches. We were using white tube jigs tipped with a night crawler. When we launched and recovered his boat there were what seemed like millions of minnows at the boats docks of Strawberry bay. Hey Kent, where is your casting net?

Saturday WalleyeBob and I fished at Deer creek and caught 12 walleye, 5 smallmouth and one perch. Most of the walleye were 10 to 14 inches but we did catch one that was 19 inches, the perch was 12 inches. We were using jigs tipped with a night crawler. We did see this guy that caught a nice walleye, 8 lbs. Thanks for a couple of great days on the lakes Fishcrazy & WalleyeBob. WH2
[signature]
How deep of water did you catch the cutts in. 37' has been a good depth from some of the reports that I have heard.
[signature]
In order to catch minnows on Saturday I had to get on the bow of my boat and net them next to the rental docks at Soldier Creek. There were hardly any at the boat ramp, and the free dock nearby. The few that were there were so deep that they would get away by the time the net would reach them.
[signature]
MGB, That might have been the problem, we were in 27 to 30 ft of water. We did try water that was deeper after 12:00 but we saw few fish on the finder.

Kent, when we were there in the morning the minnows were close to the surface but a foot deeper when we retured. I don't know how fast those fish can move but I would think you could have netted close a hundred per cast, they were really thick in between the docks. WH2
[signature]
Hey WH2, we fished some different spots Sunday. Caught more Walleye, but still only got 3 17" fish. No real big ones.I caught a 17" fish with a big gash across its head and a blind eye. Park ranger Travis says he probably got nailed by the Osprey, I think a boat prop got him.
We tried lots of different stuff. I even caught two on a Banjo minnow.
To whom it may concern,,, the ranger thinks the main boat ramp will be closed in two weeks. Water is dropping about a foot a day.

walleyebob
[signature]
Thanks for the report WalleyeBob, it won't be long now and the water toys will be thinning out. Hey Bob, how about that report on Starvation, it sounds like a trip to the Basin is due soon, I know I'm going to make at least one trip over there this month. WH2
[signature]
So would you recommend Trolling for the Walleye or Jiggin for em. I'd like to go up Saturday if possible but since I don't have a boat it's always up to my neighbor. I think I can convince him though if he thinks we may be able to eat something. Looks like this will be the last chance of the year at Deer Creek and I haven't ever fished it so any hints would be appreciated.
[signature]
Hey mcfly, I did real good with a 3 oz. bouncer and worm harness with red floats and beads. The wind blew hard all afternoon and made jigs hard to use. While it was calm and raining in the morning we threw jigs and crawlers and caught fish. Whatever the conditions call for.
Fish are scattered. Steep banks with big rocks had fish from 10' out to 30'.
Oh, if you jig, use bright orange with a 2/0 hook. 3/8 oz. worked best to keep it down deep while moving. If you anchor, try 1/4 oz.

walleyebob
[signature]
Thanks I'll give it a try.
[signature]