Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
motor problems
Well took the nice morning and headed to Utah lake. Started out from the State park in Provo. Got out in the bay and the motor went caput.[mad] Had to pull the oars out and row back in. Didn't catch anything either. Nice day other than that.

Anyone else have problems with their minn kota not wanting to run? I took it in to Swede R's to see what they can do with it. I am glad it is still under warranty.[:/] Hope they get it done fast so I can get back out on the water. Until then I am under manual power.[pirate]
[signature]
There are allot of Minn Kota's...what one do you have?
[signature]
I have the 34.
[signature]
That's right. I had the older 34 (white) that just died, but it was about four years old.
Electronics...what do you do LOL
But you just experienced what I have been trying to tell those that got out with out their oars and no flippers....trusting their motor 100%.[crazy]
[signature]
I always take the oars and flippers with me. Several reasons, one the boating laws always say you need a paddle and the flippers are to steer with and do a little moving around without the motor. The motor is still under warranty so I hope that it can be repaired.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]
Electronics...what do you do LOL
.[crazy][/quote]

Well got the diagnosis and prognosis for my motor. Prognosis not good.[:/] Somehow I got someones old fishing line behind the prop which caused major overheating which fried the electronics.[frown] I am now in the market for a new motor. Swede R said not worth to fix it.
[signature]
Bummer! That is too bad.

Will you go to a larger motor or stay about the same?
[signature]
Time for a motor with a digital maximizer for longer battery life and speed control.
[signature]
I am thinking of staying with the 34 for but am open for ideas. Especially if I can find the right price.[cool] Right now cabelas has their 34 on sale for 119.
[signature]
Looking at Minn Kota site, they are no longer making the 34. Might be why Cabela's has it on sale.
I bought the Maxxum 40 at Cabela's and found out it was discontinued because of speed control problems. Basically I too am out of luck if my breaks, but it was well over $200.
So far, still working on year 2.
[signature]
That is interesting news. If I am unable to get the 34 may have to upgrade to a 40. I need the 35" shaft to keep motor in water on my toon.
[signature]
I too need the 36", that was why I up graded.
[signature]
Don't forget to sneak a peek at your local Craigslist. I bought my 40 on there, new in the box, for a hundred and a month ago bought a 50 (new in box) on CL for $125..just saving it for when mine wears out. I see them on there all the time here at rippin deals.
Good luck
PS Love my 40..
[signature]
Can anyone tell me about the Endura 50? I have a chance to get one gently used. I see that it has a 45" shaft instead of the 36". How is it for running and for use on a toon?
[signature]
I would think it would be just fine. Why wouldn't it?
The long shaft could be a problem at times.
[signature]
The used motor I am looking at is a 36" shaft 50 endura. Not sure how old it is or how many times used. If I purchase I would be third owner. So still thinking. But good price at just under $100.
[signature]
To me, a bit high on the price if you are third person on it.
[signature]
He wants $90 for it. So still thinking.
[signature]
Well some good news. Swede R called me today. He was able to repair my motor. Now to pick it up and try it out again. Hopefully it will last longer this time.
[signature]
Do you have a circuit breaker inline on your motor? I'm under the impression that it's purpose is to avoid the overheating issue when you wrap something around the prop? At least that's why I bought mine.

However, the Minn-Kota one costs a lot more than it seems like it should.

Jim
[signature]