Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
white bass 101... 5-22-2010
[fishin][#bf0000] took a trip to utah lake for the first time this year.. we got there around 1 pm and the fishing was hot.. we managed 101 white bass and 3 crappies between the four of us. i had never caught a white bass before and thx to the posts on this website i got alot of info and put it to use. all fish were caught on curly tail grubs, any color really worked.we fished for about 5 hrs. so anyone looking for a good place to take the family or just to go catch a bunch of fish, utah lake is the spot.[/#bf0000]
[signature]
[cool]Nice work! I have never fished AF, but looks like I might have to give it a try. And if the storm hadn't moved in last night and this morning, you probably would have caught 5 times that. Then again, the storm probably kept some of the crowd away, which is almost as nice as catching more fish.
[signature]
hey thanks for the great report and pictures. I havent caught a white bass yet either looks like I need to get down there and give it a try soon. Thanks again congrats on the great fishing
[signature]
Thanks for the pictures. Love days like that when they will hit anything and everything you throw at them.
[signature]
NICE!! Whitey is ON at UL!! Cats can't be far behind!!
Did you use any of them for Catfish bait? That size fish make GREAT cat bait down there. Leave some out in the sun until their scales start "turning up" and then get them back in the water to "save" them so they don't get any stinkyer <---is that a word?....[Image: confused.gif] anyhooo...then fillet them out but leave the skin on...then cut them in strips and soak below a BIG bobber on a shark hook (1/0 to 3/0 size) a foot or so deep, right near shore. This trick may not work yet tho'... them big female cats are not ready to spawn til the water gets to about 70.....but they're gunna be there soon, if not already. By right near shore I'm talking a foot or two at the MOST out in the water. Do this in a rocky/boulder/concrete slab area and keep moving. Only stay in one spot no more than 5 min and then try the next rock. You can do this while casting for bait...lot'sa fun!! One word of caution tho'...the big cats taste like A$$!! Fun to catch...NASTY to eat! Let'em GO!! If ya want that is....not a big proponent of catch and release...just stating a fact. Keep the 3# and smaller for food. Much better table fare. This is and has been the "go to" method for me for almost 20 yrs down there and has NEVER failed me yet...biggest 'ole girl I've gotten was about 15# but got her on ultralight with 4# test line!! WHAT A BLAST that was!! I'm slipping this in under the White Bass post so that not EVERYONE in the whole state gets this info. DO NOT TRY THIS AT SARATOGA BOAT HARBOR...there are no fish there!![Image: bobwink.gif] (and ya need a boat)
[signature]
no i did not know u could use them as bait. ill have to try that next time. thx for the heads up. i love catfishing. caught this monster at willow pond last year..
[signature]
[quote lunkster33]

no i did not know u could use them as bait. ill have to try that next time. thx for the heads up. [/quote]

Be aware that dead white bass can only be used as bait in Utah Lake and the Jordan River.
[signature]
awesome report and congrats on your day!!!! did you put the jigs under a bobber or just jigging?
[signature]
[fishin][#588000]no bobber. just gettin jiggy wit it.. lol. constant retrevial, varying the speed. and thx for the heads up on only being able to use white bass as bait in the jordan and utah lake. this website is awesome![/#588000]
[signature]
waiting for your pictures to load is like watching paint dry,,,,,,,,,,,,RESIZE!!!
[signature]