Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Box
Do any of you use a black box in conjunction with your downriggers? The black box is able to put a desired positive voltage on the downrigger line to attract fish. Go to protroll.com to find out more information if you're interested. Just wanted to know if it was worth the investment.
[signature]
A lot of downriggers include positive ion control, including the Cannons. On slow fishing days I just crank up the positive ion control and start catching fish. NOT! Despite published reports (sponsored mostly by the mfg'ers of these devices) of positive ions attracting fish, I personally feel it's a gimmick. Save your money.
Thanks for the tip I was also wondering about the whole posotive ion thing. Does anyone else have an opinion about this?

Cableguy
[signature]
another post here had this web site on it . In case someone wants to read this too .

[url "http://www.fish307.com/fish/blackbox.htm"]http://www.fish307.com/fish/blackbox.htm[/url]

Never have used it .
[signature]
How did I miss this question? A technical question about gizmos and gadgets! Why was I not informed? Did I miss a meeting? My techno geek superpowers are slipping. 3rd shift must have rotted my brain (or whats left of it). You would be better off buying bait off an info-mertial than buying a black box. If you were I, or I was you, here is what I would do, if you were really me I'd get to a shrink quick. Barring that, buy coated line. Plastic is a non-conductor. Yes it's a larger diameter but you just need bigger balls. Rigger balls. You'll need about 3 more pounds to run the same scope (distance the ball runs under the boat vs behind it) with coated line. Save your money and buy more lures. Lure selection is far more critical than worrying about some stray electrons. If this helped, send the remaining money to:

IFG wants to move to the Azores and catch Tuna and Swordfish until he dies fund. I have jars set up at all your local fishing outfits. Seriously though, if want more info PM me I'd be happy to help talk you out of it. With real physics and stuff.
[signature]
I have neither a black box nor coated line. Am I doomed?
[signature]
Kent,

I hardly think so. Remember, I hate to troll. Why leave fish you've just seen on the fishfinder. When you see them...jig....jig...jig. While I've had moderate sucess(sp) trolling ford fenders and the not so super secret squid rig, I hate to leave them. Now guys this only applies to the gorge, since it's really the only lake I've even half a$$ed figured out. Ask JMIG, I drive him crazy bypassing stuff that lights up the fish finder because I don't think they're big enough. Eric from Colorado was reformed. Dennis knew it all along. Big fish get taken by guys that know how to jig using, time, place and tactics that best simulate the stuff that big fish eat. The fact of the matter is nobody trusts their fishfinder. I've always said "fish are like gold, they are where they are". Sounds stupid simple, because it is. 90% of the surface area of a body of water holds no fish. 90% of the fish caught in a body of water is caught by 10% of the fishermen. Kent, you've got SB figured out, more than most. I've got FG figured more than some. That only means we've spent the time, money and effort to do so. And, you know this is true. One of these days we'll have to try to out fish each other. I would look forward to that, and even take you to my not-so-secret spots. To get back to the original question, Black Boxes are a waste of money. If current induction is a concern, buy a float tube.
[signature]
IFG,
I love that..."fish are like gold, they are where they are." Classic.
Doesn't matter how good your lure/bait is, if a fish never sees it, he'll never eat it. Makes sense to me.

As far as gadgets go. If you know where the fish are, sticks of dynamite can be a sure thing to prevent the dreaded "skunk". Just add two sticks to a body of water and plug ears. A perscription for success.
[signature]
Speaking of explosives, did you know that Teroy controls the 3rd largest stockpile in the world? I've been kissin his ____ lately but he won't give me none. Come on Troy, just a couple of HG FRAGS and a TOW or two. That carp record would fall for sure.
Hey IFG, if you, BLM, TD, MLB, and others will give me a little more skill in my vertical jigging (writeups won't quite cut it -- I need that personal demonstration stuff) I will gladly retire my downrigger for good. I have already retired it when I go to Bear Lake. IFG, I am looking forward to trying to outfish each other; however, for me to have any chance at all I need to be on the same boat with you, so that I can cheat by attempting to duplicate what you are doing. I challenged BLM to a fish off at The Great Salt Lake, for those hard-fighting brine shrimp, but so far he has declined the offer.
[signature]