Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Catching minnows
The weather was to rainy last night so I did not have to work today. So I thought I would give it a try to see if I could catch some minnows never done it before. I went to gem lake down by the lower power plant and put out my trap. I walked the bank for a hour or two casting a rapala caught 1- 12" rainbow and no minnows. Any body got any tips on how or where to catch minnows around idaho falls? Any help would be greatly appreciated . Send me a PM If you prefer.

Thanks Jim[fishin]
[signature]
Jim, What did you use for bait? Dry cat and dog food brings them in nicely but most guys catch their minnows at night. Here's the big problem. Minnow traps last about 2 seconds before they are ripped off if you leave then anywhere they can be found! We put out our traps at dusk and pick them back up before work. Can't steal what you can't see! [Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
I used bread. Maybe I will have to go put my traps out later tonight and leave them tell early morning.
[signature]
I'm curious... How do you use minnows, since it's illegal to use them as live bait?
[signature]
[quote StacyR]I'm curious... How do you use minnows, since it's illegal to use them as live bait?[/quote]

Dead.
[signature]
There dead when i use them.
[signature]
Make sure they are not trout. If you have more than the limit of even tiny trout it is still a ticket. Ron
[signature]
Well, I figured dead. What I mean is, how do you use them dead? Tipping jigs? Casting on lures? For what species?
[signature]
I usually use them for trout on the south fork (snake). I drift fish with them. I thread them on a hook and bounce them along the bottom.
[signature]
Thanks for the info.I will make sure to put back any trout minnows i catch.

jim [fishin]
[signature]
There are lots of different ways to rig them. I rig them on a long shank hook by threading the hook through the mouth and gills then sticking the hook through the body down by the tail or anus.

I also thread a line through the body and then tie on a treble that I hook in the butt. I don't do that too much anymore because it is much more difficult and I don't like using trebles much anymore.

Like has been stated you just find the amount of weight necessesary to tap the bottom. Put the weight 18" above the minnow. I usually throw up and across stream letting the minnow bounce down stream.

I like to find undercut banks and big boulders where the browns might be hiding.

Windriver
[signature]
I use 2 prong 2" long shank minnow hooks and rig them much as Windriver has described.
[signature]
Go at night with a really bright flash light and scout some of the areas you want to set your trap in. minnows can be seen with a hand held spot light pretty easy then when you throw your trap out use dry dog food and if you do it at dusk you can use a small waterproof flash light as the minnows are attracted to light you can also use a green chem light , put it in your minnow net as throw it out. Look for small drainage ditches that dump into the river that's where i always find mine
[signature]
Do you freeze them? Any preservatives?
[signature]
i use doritos to catch mine. the monnows are big fans of nacho cheese. also when you freeze them they do get a little softer then when they are fresh but they are still usable.
[signature]
Thanks for the tips I will give them a try.

Jim
[signature]
To freeze them I space them out on a tray, pat them dry with a paper towel, put them in the freezer for an hour, then seal-a-meal them. They'll last for years.
[signature]
Thanks everybody.
[signature]