Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never Tube Fished, but Interested
I grew up fishing off the bank on Lake DeGray in Arkansas. One summer, the hybrid bass would break about the same time every evening, and I could pull 'em in as fast as I could cast my Tiny Torpedo out there. I bought a inflatable boat once, and when I hooked a big one, he pulled me all over that cove!

Anyway...I've never tube fished, but it looks/sounds like fun. I've done a lot of canoeing and tubing down rivers with my sons, but those are just float trips--not fishing. So is tube fishing mainly for rivers or do people use them in lakes, too? Seems like you'd drag bottom in lots of places on the rivers we float. That would not be a problem in the lake, but then you can't move around too much.
[signature]
I think with the exception of Pontoonman, the majority here do fish stillwater. I know I do. I have float and fished the snake from my pontoon, but I prefer walking/wading rivers and floating stillwater.
But the cool thing is, I can do both if I want. A pontoon allows you to float more shallow waters.
[signature]
Try it you'll LIKE it. I fly fish for bass and pan fish and the float tube lets me get up close and personal. I prefer small ponds and lakes where motors are not allowed or has a speed limit. There are 6 lakes within 10 minutes of my house. No waiting to launch a boat, just fish. Sometimes I think it takes me longer to get the waders and fins on.. I should have done tubing a lone time ago.
[signature]
[quote WeeFolk]Try it you'll LIKE it. I fly fish for bass and pan fish and the float tube lets me get up close and personal. I prefer small ponds and lakes where motors are not allowed or has a speed limit. There are 6 lakes within 10 minutes of my house. No waiting to launch a boat, just fish. Sometimes I think it takes me longer to get the waders and fins on.. I should have done tubing a lone time ago.[/quote]
If you have 6 lakes within 10 minutes of your home, I'd be figuring a way to drive in waders and fins.[cool]
[signature]
[quote mojorizing][quote WeeFolk]Try it you'll LIKE it. I fly fish for bass and pan fish and the float tube lets me get up close and personal. I prefer small ponds and lakes where motors are not allowed or has a speed limit. There are 6 lakes within 10 minutes of my house. No waiting to launch a boat, just fish. Sometimes I think it takes me longer to get the waders and fins on.. I should have done tubing a lone time ago.[/quote]
If you have 6 lakes within 10 minutes of your home, I'd be figuring a way to drive in waders and fins.[cool][/quote]

hahahahahaa , me too !
[signature]
Once you start you will never go back to anything else. You will love it.
[signature]
Try it once and you'll be hooked. My brother took me out for the first time over Memorial Day weekend and within 24 hrs. of returning home, I had everything that I needed ordered over the internet. I've fished my whole lifef and never had so much fun! [cool]
[signature]
[quote Bozwell]Try it once and you'll be hooked. My brother took me out for the first time over Memorial Day weekend and within 24 hrs. of returning home, I had everything that I needed ordered over the internet. I've fished my whole lifef and never had so much fun! [cool][/quote]

What tube did you end up with?
God Bless,
Don
[signature]
I've got my eye on one by Outdoor Pride. I met the owner, Bessie Brown, at the Backwoods Hunting & Fishing Show in Oklahoma City earlier this year. She makes them herself and packs a lot of great features into every tube. My birthday's in July (subtle hint to wife). Did you have a suggestion?
[signature]
Well Don, I tried the Togiak and after an extensive back surgery several years ago, it just didn't fit right. Couldn't fish after 2 hrs due to extreme discomfort in the back. I was also able to try the Creek U-Boat and it felt like a dream. 2hrs "behind the wheel" and absolutely no discomfort whatsoever. Not as many amenities as some of the higher end boats but for me it was all about the back. Brand new off of Ebay $46 +shipping. I really liked sitting up higher on the Togiak but until I can "test drive" someones tube to see what the comfort level is like on some of the other models available, I'll use the U-Boat.
The good news is that I've hooked up with 6 different individuals already who fish this way and all have offered up their tubes for trial runs in a couple of weeks when we head for southern Ohio. There is a Fat Cat, Fish Cat, and a 420 in the lineup so my guess is that the U-Boat will become a backup tube in the not to distant future! LOL
I'd like to just thank everyone here for their help and assistance. Just a great group!
[signature]