Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1983 sears 9.9 2 stroke
[mad]okay, so i got this motor running last year then put it away for winter. I got it started ONCE this spring and thought i was good to go. new spark plugs, cleaned out carb, adjusted magneto and cleaned contacts. it wont start at all, the plugs get wet, I tried a little WD-40/Seafoam spray/ Ether (start fluid) into the carb all at different times, no go. going over it all seems to be in order, it DID run for a whole afternoon and i thought I got winter Burned out of it...

ANY IDEAS??? ANYONE???? I have put new plugs in again, and adjusted the magneto again, but the way it is you cant adjust it far enough to NOT get the spark through... it seems like that is what is missing is fire. could i have bad gas?? I used the gas all winter in my snowblower and i only use TCW 3 oil for all my 2 stroke stuff soi dont end up with a bunch of cans all over for boat and weed whacker and such.

I am going to try fresh gas...from the pump mixed again, could it be this ethanol crap we are starting to see in Utah? or at least i have noticed the stickers in the last month... up to 10% Ethnol. from a chemistry standpoint, Ethanol is NOT impressive. its dirty. costs more energy to make than it produces, and its production is driving up meat prices as the farmers are paying more for feed corn to get it because the growers can make more selling it to the damn refiners for making half-fast gas. [Image: angry.gif]
[signature]
Agreed, it seems as if you are getting no fire to the plugs. I'd go back to the magneto and look for a loose or uninstalled wire. You said there are contacts, are those ignition points? Have they closed up in spite of you looking at them? Does it have a coil? Is there spark coming from there? Go back to the ignition system for the problem.
[signature]
I say sell it to me for $100 bucks and I will have the headache of trying to get it to run... lol
[signature]
Tempting BigBass but I figured it out tonight.

Turns out that when you clean a contact or ignition point ou should not give it a light coating of WD-40 to keep the rust off. it turns out it may or may not stall the spark out causing an intermitten ignition issue.

so wipe those points clean of all dust and lube, then your engine will start 30 times in 2 hours and run continuously for 3.5 hours. yee haaa... maybe i will have to take it to deer creek this weekend just to make sure my boat can handle it.

thanks for the input all. I went back through the ignition and sure enough after i just wiped it all down and found no odd things of interest it started on one half pull with my beer hand. LOL
[signature]