Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard...Weather or not
Hey thanks for passing those plastics on to a good home thats what its all about having fun and helping others out to catch fish and do some field testing to.

I have been enjoying Utah lake and this spring is the first year I have fished it and have had some great success so far. The summer is young so Look out Im coming back. I wish the lake was closer as its a 162miles from my house to the lake and then that long drive back home.

I left my house last sat at 8am and got home sunday morning at 12:30am. my wife said I must be [crazy] Crazy but glad I had a great time. I cant wait to get my wife and kids back down there fishing with me very soon. thanks again for all your info. write ups, pictures and other info and to all the other anglers that helped me out to get down to Utah lake for some great fishing.

Hopefully we can get out sometime and hook some fish together [cool]
[signature]
You wouldn't have any pics left of your old leigh would you? Last year I rigged up my old leigh and got it out on the water with a minn kota 34. Custom made motor mount/rod rack. Gotta love PVC![:p]
[signature]
[quote FishKillr][#0000ff]Murphy was a fisherman......."IS" a fisherman.[/#0000ff][/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]But that is just one man's opinion. Maybe one boy's too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just raggin' on ya Shawn. Of course I consider you to be a fine angler...and getting better all the time. Your unquenchable thirst for new information and your willingness to keep trying new things will take you a lot farther a lot faster than the good ol' boys who go to the same place and use the same stuff all the time. More fun too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ok Pat - I'm thoroughly convinced [shocked] You ARE that 10% I hear about (as they say 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish). I keep demonstrating my strong hold on the OTHER portion of that category.

Thanks for sharing your fish-tales, and snapping all your nifty photos. I like your photo-measuring tray. I'm painting a ruler, or slapping down a sticker on our middle seat before our next trip out.

Good thing you only found one walleye that big! What did you tempt him with? Your crappie jigs?
And do you snaggle your kitties whilst on the move? I see beads above a hook, what goes on the hook? Chunk o'Carp?

Can you take your tube into the inlet? We started into there one evening after somebody jumping - but my son was astute enough to read the buoy sign, and correct me that boats weren't allowed in there. Maybe floats don't count? So are the walleys still spawning up there? Or maybe just coming to feast on some crappie?

NICE big crappie dude! I wanna find me some a'doze! Gotta convince my son there's more to panfish than just BGs. Maybe we'll try walking the inlet next time. Thinking I want to work the south end - then north along the west wall. Maybe that'll treat us better than the north end did last outing.
Plus I'd like to switch tactics, and try joining you early birds - hopefully skip the afternoon ski-choppers.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]You wouldn't have any pics left of your old leigh would you? Last year I rigged up my old leigh and got it out on the water with a minn kota 34. Custom made motor mount/rod rack. Gotta love PVC![:p][/quote]

Hey albinotrout I dont have a picture handy but could probably scan an old one of it when I get back from vacation. The kickboat I had was called a Green River and was 8' made by Leigh and had the green and black pontoons with the rino hide skins on it I think thats what its called. They were really heavy duty made like the white water rafts are now.

I made my motor mount and battery mount out of some 3/4" SQUARE metal tube the thin wall but it was still heavier than pvc for sure. I always had a 27 series deep cycle battery on it so I went with steel and it worked great.

I loved the kickboat but had one of the rubber air bladders start leaking and talked to Venture Outdoors that sells a pontoon like the leigh and said they could retrofit my pontoons to fit their new air bladders but would be $450 to $500 so I decided to sell it and stick to my 14' aluminum boat. I aired it up and showed the guy that bought it what was wrong and where to get it fixed but he said he had a place to get a replacement air bladder for it. I bought it for $800 new when kickboats where kind of just coming out and then sold it for $150 with the motor mount, oars and locks and stiripping apron since it had a bad air bladder that needed replaced.

I loved it and really didnt have a complaints other than the problem with the air bladders in the pontoons.
[signature]
I bought mine in 1995. It is a striker. In 2000 one of the rubber bladders failed and I was lucky to find that sportsmans was selling replacement bladders that they had made by bucks bags. So I picked up two of them. They are eurethane and I have not had any problems with them at all. I used 1" PVC and an outcast motor mount to make my mount. I strap it on with cam straps. The rack is strong enough to hold the battery and motor on it. I have also added several other items to make it fisherman friendly. There are not many left out there so it is nice to find someone who has one still or owned one.
[inline "DSCN0687 - 400.jpg"]
[signature]
Thats a nice ride albinotrout. I bought mine back in 1993 and I really loved it all but the rubber air bladders are what I had problems with and couldnt find a replacement so that why I sold it for what I could get out of it.

I have a 14' alum boat and really like it but I could stay out in alot bigger water for alot longer with my kickboat than I can with the alumboat.

Sometimes I really miss that kickboat. Never know I might buy me another one someday.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks fer the kindly comments. I hope you realize that I only post the one out of ten trips that I catch fish. Gotta maintain my rep.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That tray is my "sushi board"...a rigid plastic replacement for the wimpy mesh aprons that come with the tube. I make them from either the lids or cut out bottoms of plastic storage containers. They still work for fly line platforms...if you fish flies...or as combination tackle benches, fish control tables or bait cutting boards. I attach a metal ruler (cut down yardstick) both to help me stay legal where there are slots or size limits and to record accurate lengths. You can also carry a retractable tape or go to the sewing notions section of Wally World and get a cloth tape.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Why is it a "good thing" to only catch one walleye that big? The regs say you can only keep one OVER 24", but a total of ten. And, my fish basket will easily hold a limit of legal sized ones.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the attached closeup you can better see the small jig I caught the walleye on. Same one I was using for crappies. Over the years I have caught grundles of walleyes up to ten pounds out of Willard on those small morsels...especially late in the fall. When they are not very active they hit small stuff better.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am also attaching another picture that I did not include with the first batch...of a kitty with a remnant minnow hanging out of its mouth. I use minnows for all species and catch walleyes and wipers on them too. The minnows usually come off once the fish is hooked and starts thrashing around. The two chartreuse beads are a little sumpin' sumpin' I add for extra color and attraction? Sometimes I catch almost all my fish on the rod with "bling" and very little on the other rod fished with the same hook and bait but without the jewelry. Works on trout, perch and walleye too...with your choice of baits.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Backing up a bit, carp DOES work very well in Willard. The kitties love it. But the minnows are more appealing to the wipers and walleyes so I go with the "equal opportunity" bait...minnows...or sometimes whole crawlers. Sometimes one of each on two different rods. Bait buffet.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I fish the bait on the bottom, but without weight. Just a swivel about two feet up from the hook with a leader slightly heavier than my 8# line. More abrasion resistance and the swivel helps reduce twists in the line if the bait spins a bit...or if fish twist and turn while you fight them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The NO BOATS buoys are intended to keep the power squadron out of the narrow inlet. I verified that it is okay to take tubes up the channel. Sometimes I can do very well in the channel and not get bit elsewhere. My crappies and walleye yesterday came from an area I discovered years ago. The channel is dredged and in a couple of places there are humps or holes that create a fish attraction for some species some of the time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That channel is tough to fish from shore. When the water level was down there was a lot of brush that grew up on the shallow shelf that was exposed by the low water. It is all flooded now and almost impossible to get a lure or fish through it back to the bank. One of the wipers I hooked yesterday made a run for that brush like he had been there before and knew how to "post bail" for a quick release.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]However, where the inlet comes in over the baffles there is a big deep scour hole. It can often be great fishing for all species. But, you gotta be friendly and enjoy company because when the fish are in the happy harvesters will be there too. However, if you bring your own rock to stand on you can sometimes have good fun...but not on a weekend or in the evening.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Once the crappies actually finish spawning you can sometimes do well on them fishing right inside the channel to the west of the marker buoy (no boats). They sometimes cruise in small schools around the open water area, looking for baby shad or the fry of other species that are their primary prey. Small jigs below a bobber or retrieved slowly at mid depth will get some bigguns. If you have a small boat try anchoring in the channel and using a crappie light over the side at night. They used to have a light out at the entrance to the channel. I would kick out there at night in my tube and fish the edge of the light pattern on the water. Got grundles of BIG crappies that came in for the fry that came to the top for the bugs attracted by the light.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yes, I usually hit the water early. Hey, I'm an old guy. Crash early and get up early. Or as I often say..."I get up at 4 and wake up at noon." Seriously, if I have walleyes in mind I like to work the earliest I can. I used to be on the water before daybreak before they began closing the gates at night...back in the OLDEN DAYS. But, in truth, I probably catch as many walleyes during the day as early or late. Heck, the one I caught yesterday was eating brunch...at noon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Last issue...the walleyes are definitely through spawning and are in their annual active post spawn feeding binge. June is the magic month for walleyes on Willard. They will be cruising all over the lake, feeding up to replace fat lost during the winter or during the spawning activities. Once the water temp passes the 60 to 65 degree mark they are at their peak of metabolic activity and feed constantly...and constantly look for food. If you can find them you can usually get them to munch...even if you are a 90 percenter.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of my favorite recollections from years past happened about mid June one year. There were a couple of goobers in a very small tin boat with a noisy motor cruising up and down the dike to the south of the south marina entrance. They had one rod between them and took turns fishing. Since they had done a good job of demolishing the cooler full of beer they started with they were somewhat "casual" about their fishing. They were dragging around a big chrome spoon...about the size I used to use for salt water. Not much attention to how far back it was or how fast they were going. And, with little control there was a "snake in the wake"...with the boat making big S turns...not by design.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What chapped my hide was that I was working my best lures with my best walleye rods and finessing the heck out of the fish...and I had caught only a couple of "average" 23 inchers. These guys were hooking and reeling in HUGE spawned out mama walleyes that were probably all well over 25 inches. They weren't keeping them...just cranking them in and tossing them back and then handing the rod off to the other guy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Obviously those fish were on a post spawn feeding binge and the happy boaters were working over a feeding area. At least that is what I kept telling myself through clenched teeth. If nothing else it reinforced what I keep saying..."More walleyes are caught by accident than by design."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Okay...you just got a whole bunch of info from one posted questionnaire. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here's some pics.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks TD for the 10 minute lesson on years of learning about Willard. Most of the fish I have caught out of there have been somewhat accidental since I don't fish it that much. It is nice to have someone like you to glean the well earned knowledge from.[cool] Now I can probably go up and catch something rather than come back smelling like skunk more times than none.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You are welcome, but words is just words. The classroom part is easy. It is all the hours of "lab" that take time and serious attention. Also the most fun...especially when the fish give you high marks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I think you would enjoy fishing several of my favorite spots on that pond. A couple of places would be good to take the family. We should plan a trip and give you and your clan a proper introduction.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I think that would be a very good idea. Now to find the time![Wink]
[signature]
I would drive to willard, and fish in the wind if it meant I would be guaranteed a 21" walleye! Looks like you easily made the right choice sneaking in-between storms I love the crappie "rubber band" hit. You keep making upgrades to your tube, pretty soon, you'll be on plane chasing wiper boils!
[signature]
Again - very informative, and kind of you to share your experience.
Love the "picture" of your Walleye competition. So I'll bet they were using Banjo Minnows, and trading off the rod for plucking a banjo. And their "spoon" was from the silverware drawer...

Now, I didn't see the "kitty zone" marked on your map. I'd guess it's your "other" map that marks off your "past proven spots". A guy's entitled to hold onto some of his secrets! [Wink] I'd love to join your classroom session if I could coordinate it (and get up early enuf!), and if you could stand a small "boat", as I'm not part of the tubing floatilla. I'll have to ask the ranger - I wonder if a small boat like mine under electric motor would be tolerable up there in the channel. Sounds like I'd want the FF to help ID the drop spots.

No - not "good" that you only found 1 walleye - just good that you didn't find many over the 24inch size, and have to leave them back. Plus good that there's some left for ME to find (hopefully). [crazy] From what you say they should be getting pretty active. And by other reports - it does seem there are a lot out there still to be found.
I have yet to taste walleye - but I've heard such great descriptions, I'm anxious to. Hmm, small jigs eh? So maybe smaller is better for once?
Do you ever use jigs with a spinner blade/flasher on them? I've had good attention from trout with them (see pic)

Now those aren't "gulp" minnows - that looks like the real deal. May I ask - where/how do you getyer "live" minnows? We've got a minnow cage, but haven't used it. My son is really interested in catching some. I also informed him that's the only kind of fish he's allowed to "net". I saw schools in the shallows at Porky once.
Someone at Benson told me they just get feeder goldfish from the petstore, but what I've read says you can only use fish for bait from the water you're fishing on. And then only some waters allow them to be whole, or alive.

It always seems that fish feed best on whatever they normally find (the age old "match the hatch" philosophy). Fish prefer a treat to a trick I guess.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Actually, it's harder to find an area WITHOUT catfish than a spot you can catch them. But, over time, I have had more consistent success in a few defined "zones". I am attaching one of my "other" maps that show in red Xs the best areas on the south end of the lake. The ones in front of the feed lot/hog farm show where I probably catch over 50 % of the kitties I take from Willard every year. You just have to use the sonar and some prospecting to find what depth they prefer for that day and then harvest. It can be a good area for wipers too. And if you fish next to the rocks there are usually some nice bluegills available.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]The comment about the "too many over 24" on the walleyes brings some bittersweet memories. Back in the early 80's...before wipers and smallies...the walleyes grew big and fat...fast...on a diet of the abundant crappies. The limit on walleye then was 6, with two over 20 inches in the mix. The downside was that it was rare to catch walleyes UNDER 20 inches from Willard. Average was much larger and I usually brought home a limit of 2 about 24 or 25 inches...releasing as many as a couple of dozen on some trips that went upwards of 10 pounds.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't stock your tackle box with bitty bites for wallies. Good to have some for times when they are finicky. But, during the post spawn period they are usually very active and aggressive and will slam the big stuff most of the time. Lots of walleyes caught this time of year by wiper trollers hauling big cranks at mach 5 at mid depth. No absolutes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Walleye ARE some of the most toothsome fish around...both in terms of their teeth and how they taste on the plate. Very nice firm white flaky flesh. Good almost any way you want to cook them. Once you catch one...and think you've got them figured out...you will waste much time and expense in further pursuit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I make most of my own lures...jigs, spinners, cranks, etc. I play with wire a lot and make some dandy mini spinnerbaits that are deadly for many species. I catch quite a few walleyes on them. Also on several different colors of roadrunner jigs...with the little spinner blades. (see pics).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The minnow hanging from the jaws of that kitty was a chub minnow. I do catch and process my own. I am attaching a PDF writeup on the subject. By the way, Utah allows the use of nonprotected whole baitfish like chubs or redside shiners as long as they are dead. No restrictions on being from the same water. But in many waters the predators feed heavily on carp minnows and chubs are closely related enough that they give off a similar scent. I like chubs better than redsides because they seem to remain more firm after freezing. Even if you salt redsides they often turn to mush after being frozen.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are chub minnows in many Utah Waters. The Bear River Refuge has them. Ditto for Farmington Bay. There are also harvestable numbers in Settlement Canyon near Tooele and in the ponds at Deer Valley. Lots of chubs in Scofield. Too many. Plenty of other places but most serious "minnow men" have some small honey holes that they prefer to not broadcast.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a couple of the wire minnow baskets and I do catch minnows with them. But my bread and butter minnow harvesting is done with a high quality 1/4" mesh cast net. Most guys use a cheaper 3/8" mesh net and they lose a lot of the prime size minnows because they swim out of the holes. The nice 3" ones I like best stay nicely in my net.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some guys fish with the prepared blood baits, shrimp, chicken livers and other "traditional" catfish baits. I have better luck/success when I use either minnows or fresh carp, white bass or perch meat...where legal.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote waljustia]I would drive to willard, and fish in the wind if it meant I would be guaranteed a 21" walleye! Looks like you easily made the right choice sneaking in-between storms I love the crappie "rubber band" hit. You keep making upgrades to your tube, pretty soon, you'll be on plane chasing wiper boils![/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Hey, you gots ta get your H3 rigged up for power. You already got the motor and battery.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I doubt I will be powering off to hit a wiper boil though. Might make some of those boaters mad if I beat them to the boil...or run right into it and put the fish down. Heck, they have never done that to me.[/#0000ff]
[signature]