Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Wipers
We have been catching a couple wipers each trip trolling deep diving rapala plugs, but it has not been fast like this time last year...So what do you think is the bay a bit behind this year or will the catching just be be slower???
[signature]
I would say that it is behind, we need the sun to shine for more than a couple days in a row.
[signature]
Generally, the month of June is great for wipers out on willard. But this year, it is way behind. Also, generally, when it gets hot (in the hundreds) the bite starts to slow down drastically. I think that the normal June fishing will be shortened way down to a one or two week window this year just before the weather gets real hot.
[signature]
[quote fishin__fool]We have been catching a couple wipers each trip trolling deep diving rapala plugs, but it has not been fast like this time last year...So what do you think is the bay a bit behind this year or will the catching just be be slower???[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Based upon something I observed yesterday I would say that the topsy turvy weather pattern has affected all species on all waters. I brought home 4 crappies from Willard yesterday. All were females still full of ripe eggs. They should have been completly through spawning before the end of May.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The same thing has slowed the spawn for crappies in Pineview and white bass at Utah Lake. Completely off their normal schedules.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm also going to go out on a limb and predict slower wiper fishing overall again this year. Going back to the years when our current crop of wipers were first planted the water levels were very low...with the drawdown to fix the dike. Wipers are planted as "sack fry"...barely an inch or so long. That makes them easy prey for all other species in the lake...and every other species in the lake will eagerly slurp them up. In "normal" water years there is some weed growth, some shoreline brush and of course the rock dikes in which the little wiperettes can find some measure of escape. But, even though the same number were planted in the low water years there were not as many that survived predation...resulting in fewer adults for anglers to catch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Last year we started to see the results. The shad had a monster spawn and higher survival rate with fewer wipers eating them. And the remaining wipers did not have to forage as aggressively for food. They just followed around the massive schools of baby shad and "yawned" whenever they got hungry. True, there were some "boils" last year. Wipers are wipers. But they were not nearly as common or as long lasting as most seasoned wiper fans remember from years past. A few anglers still got into some great fishing...on some trips...but most reported only mediocre catching on most trips and even got skunked a few trips right in the middle of prime time fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is no doubt that the long cold springtime has resulted in a poor early showing of wipers. But many folks believe as I do that the overall population is down. True, they swarmed into the north marina for awhile and have provided their usual "false spawn" action close to the dikes around the lake. Also, there were good numbers in the DWR nets placed during that period. But I suggest that their findings might be slanted because of the seasonal concentration of fish in one area. It would be difficult to get the same results anywhere else on the lake...then or now.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I hate to say it but I think this year is going to be worse than last year...with fewer wipers and with them being difficult to attract to trolled lures when they have plenty of natural food...too much in fact.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The upside is that there are a couple of new year classes of wipers coming along from plantings after the water came back up. Folks are reporting catching 6 inchers and 12 to 14 inchers. Those will both grow a lot over a food rich summer. And, the scarcer year class of larger fish is not as plentiful...but there are some really big fish available in the lake for somebody who is looking to break the state record. Could happen this year. If not, there are more fish over 20 inches and 4 pounds than in some past years. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I hope I am wrong. Somebody go out and knock 'em dead and prove me wrong. I am sure that the action will pick up for everybody as soon as the water temps hit 70 degrees. That always seems to be a magic number to get the wipers at their peak of activity. That lasts until hot summer water temps bounce off the 80 degree mark, but picks up again in the fall when water temps hit 70 on the way back down.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I think willard will be a bit slower for wipers myself, more easy food so the fish are less willing to chase a crankbait. I think the numbers of wipers are there though. last year i had days i fished boils that went on for hours, more fish than i could imagine out there. The fish weren't too cooperative but they were there.
I have already boated more wipers this year than last on jigs and such over pulling cranks the entire last season. Of course you find em hungry and there will be some good days but overall i predict slower. . In my book Willard is a superb fishery although challenging at times. Even if the wiper fishing is slower the ones caught will be worth it.
Willard is changing in a good way. slab crappie, lunker wipers, nice walleye, good numbers of cats, and the smallies are reproducing like rabbits. Where else is there with that selection...............I predict 40 or more days on the water there for me this year. And thats coming out of a trout lovers mouth.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]I live in cache so I hate to spend an afternoon up at Willard and not have a bite. I will fish for the wipers but I need 3 days of sun to warm it up first![Wink][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
“Governor Gary R. Herbert is no friend of outdoorsman and so even as a Republican my vote will go to someone else!”
Thegreat!
[signature]
The two years before the water was drained to work on the dike, I would go out in the evenings three to four nights a week. There were very few trips that me and my fishing buddy didn't catch at least 10 and very often 20 wipers a night! Since then, it has been very inconsistent for me! I have had some 20 to 30 fish days but very few and far between. I have been very frustrated with Willard fishing the past couple years and keep hoping that the good ole days will come back! I find it less frustrating to read the blogs and realize it's not just me that forgot how to catch wipers at Willard! [:|]
[signature]
I to have lost my touch,I catcha few and some times more but you hit the nail on the head it's been frustrating at times. to the point I didn't think I knew what I was doing.I learned a few things last year I can't wait to try so will see if the catching get better this year.

One thing that everyone that reads this needs to listen to what TrophyBoat just told you. here are plenty of wipers in there,but a slower presentation is needed to catch them and when you find the fish stay on them, where there is one wiper there is always more close by.Most of my fish when I have a good day are within a very small area. when you catch one stay in the area mark the fish when you catch one and work all around it until you hit the X.

But there is always the boils in July and Aug. [Wink]

Thanks for the info TrophyBoat
[signature]