Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixed bag in the rain
[cool][#0000ff]I fished Willard Bay Reservoir yesterday, in spite of the "iffy" weather forecast. The actual weather turned out to be worse. Imagine that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was calm but overcast when I launched. I wanted to try out using my larger battery...along with the added floatation of the double boat bumpers I had installed up under the rear compartment on my tube. I figured I should be able to get in SOME fishing, even if the weather turned bad...and it did.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had fished a long ways out of the marina...mostly just kicking around and dragging bait with one rod while casting lures with the other. I just started catching a few cats on the bait rod when the wind came up. The waves built quickly and then the rain started falling...big wet drops. I was soaked in minutes. I had only worn a couple of layers, since the air temp was 65 at launch and supposed to get warmer later. But, I have a high metabolism and I was still warm enough to survive.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I figured this would be a good test of my motorized setup...with the larger battery. I cranked it up to 5 and headed for the marina. What normally takes me about an hour of kicking...in good weather...only took about 20 minutes with the motor. And, when I got back inside I did not feel like I had been whupped with a baseball bat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was pretty calm inside the protection of the high dikes around the marina so I decided to fish for a while longer. Glad I did. I ended up catching a few nice crappie and one bonus 21" walleye. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did not really use the larger battery enough to get a feel for how long or how much I could use it before it would die on me. Besides the speed run back to the marina in the storm I did use it for some short moves and for slow bottom bouncing lures for a while. It was still over 90% when I got home.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was happy to see how well the extra floatation of the two bumpers held even the heavier battery (55#) easily level in the water (see pic). With both the motor on the front and the battery behind the seat my tube tilted only slightly forward before I sat down in the seat. The tube floated high in the water, even with all the extra weight, and I had no problems kicking around without the motor. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There will still be a lot of trips on which I do not take the motor with me. Some places just don't need it. But there are a few that are going to be fished a lot more aggressively now...with some new tactics and techniques that I have not been able to use until now. And, I anticipate that I will be feeling a lot better at the end of the day on trips that formerly required long kicks to and from the better fishing areas.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Looks like the weather there is still being as cooperative as it has been all spring!. Glad the motor is getting you back in quicker when conditions deteriorate. I am still curious on the small 33 battery. How long was it lasting? Or do you have an estimate of how long you could use it?

Looks like the bumpers are adding the extra flotation you need for a larger battery anyway. Still the larger battery may be difficult for some to lift and carry.

Frame braces look good.

I am jealous that your marinas provide you with that much wind protection. It is almost calm in there. In our waters it just blows -- ALL the time! Not much getting away from it.
Good catches for a "trial run".
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Howdy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My opinion at this point is that the 33 will be plenty for most tubing under most conditions. When used strictly as an auxiliary power source it should easily hold up for a full day of short moves and a final run back to the vehicle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Using the specs provided with my 30# Endura motor and basic physics calculations, I am supposed to be able to get over 1 hour of running full power on the 33. Breaking it down, it will provide up to 4 hours of running on 2 or 3 power. That is a lot of moving around or repositioning in the breeze. I have had it out 3 times and have used it for just that...for quite a few minor moves...and then powered back in to the car. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So far I have not taken the 33 below the 80% mark for a long morning of fishing. I will be making trips this month that will put it to the test. I only hope I don't leave myself stranded with a dead battery while still a long ways from the launch site. But, that is why I will continue to carry a small 8 AH backup until I have a better feel for the capacity of the 33.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you point out, a heavy battery is not an option for someone with limited strength. The 33 weighs only 24 pounds and should be manageable for almost anybody. One idea for someone who wants more power but can't handle a big battery would be to get two of the smaller ones and rig them in [#ff0000]parallel[/#ff0000] to double the total capacity. Or, set them up with easy-to-access quick-connects so that you could switch batteries in your tube without having to make a run to shore. That's how I have my backup battery system...with a length of both black and red wiring and quick-connects. If the main battery conks out I can just reach down and connect the motor to the smaller backup battery. You can see the wiring setup in the attached pic.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am not sure the braces are necessary. But, since I feel a definite pull or surge when the motor kicks in I thought it might be good added insurance. Over time that could loosen things up or cause the PVC to crack. I have learned the hard way that even my beloved white construction material is not indestructible and does not last forever. (sniff, sniff) And, since adding the braces the flex and surge do not seem to be very noticeable. I think it helps.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not all of our marinas are thus protected. Willard Bay Reservoir is a manmade freshwater impoundment created by diking off a portion of the Salt Lake marshes and letting the Weber and Ogden rivers fill it with fresh water. It was built by the feds and they did a good job overall, with high dikes all around the lake...and the south marina. The north marina is not so protected. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is always good to have a "Plan B" on any given trip. Too often the weather changes and wipes out our original fishing plans. Nice if you have a "go to" backup plan, but too many times we either sit on shore watching the waves or just head for the barn.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck with YOUR weather. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for a magic fix...or an "anti-wind dance". Just gotta take advantage of it when we get a break and cry a lot when we can't get out. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Don't know why this came out blank so I will rewrite this.

It was probably just a slip of the Tongue TD, but for others that read this later I will correct the battery connection:

To increase capacity the batteries must be connected in PARALLEL NOT IN SERIES.

A series connection will increase the voltage to 24 volts and won't increase the capacity. It WILL burn your motor out.

A parallel connection will increase the capacity or reserve and not the voltage. It is neg to neg, and pos to pos.

Who ever does this make sure you know what you are doing or have someone help you if you aren't sure.
[signature]
Great catch on the hook ups. That could really be a bummer.
I do know someone that did the series and motor is history.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Right you are. My bad. I have not done anything like that since the OLDEN DAYS when I rigged my first old Humminbird flasher up to two 6 volt lantern batteries. That was a series hookup so I could get 12 volts. Wasn't thinking.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Obviously, anybody considering fancy wiring jobs should know what they are doing or consult an expert before hooking it up to their motor. Having and using a voltage tester is another bit of insurance to make sure you have it right.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will edit my previous post.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks for catching that.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That is true with the electrical thing. I had to buy a new motor after my first one fried due to some overheating. I am now working on making sure I have an inline fuse especially since I have more than just the motor hooked up to the battery now.
[signature]
As always, nice work Pat! [Smile] I really like the addition of the bumpers. I am in desperate need to do something like that on my setup.

Do you think the additional flotation helps with the efficiency and performance of the motor? And by how much? I ask because the way I have it now with my 75ah battery and Endura 45 in the front and my skinny little self to balance it all, I feel like I am going through the water and not on top of the water. If I had the extra flotation and riding higher, I would guess that I would go faster on a lower setting, thus prolonging battery life.

Also, what are the dimensions (diameter and length) of your bumpers?

Thanks.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There's no doubt about it. The extra floatation really raises the stern up a lot. That would translate to a better ride both kicking and under power. I hardly notice any difference on mine.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you go to Sportsmans, they have about three sizes of the bumpers in their boat accessories department. I think mine are about 16 to 18" long. They are the ones about in the middle for size. Measure the length between the D rings and the front loop on your tube and get the ones that fit best. Only about $11.99 each. I have mine permanently roped and tied into place and they do not really affect the bulk or packup volume much either. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck. We gotta hit the Knolls soon for the big kitties. About time.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'll have to go and take a look at what Sportsman's has. I saw some on Cabela's website for about the same price, but they offer it in black, white, and navy. I heard from a friend of a friend that black bumpers not only look better on the underside of a Fat Cat, but they float better and go faster. [Wink]

But we will have to hit the Knolls soon. I was going to go two days ago with the intent of chasing only cats, but chickened out because of car issues. Instead, I hit Lindon and had lots of fun with the channels on the ultralight. I am thinking the end of next week looks like a possibility.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I am still waiting for Mama Nature to go back on her meds...for a couple of days in a row. I am looking eastward and I hear the call of the wallies at Starvation. Maybe Thursday.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So...the black floats higher and provides better speed, etc. Sounds like a racist thing to me.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Wallies at the Starve sounds fun. I haven't caught many 'eyes in my fishing life, mostly when I'm fishing for something else of course. Let me know if you and Mama Nature do get your schedules coordinated for next week.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Check in Tuesday evening or Wednesday for a more definitive game plan.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I think you will like that place.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice to have power and nice to have windbreaks. It's just been blowin to much!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You got that right.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hey, now that I got you on the line...so to speak...has there been any action on Salmon Falls recently? I am guessing that the water level is up good after the winter we had.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I haven't been down there for a long time cause the trot a magic have been eating fles too good to ignore but I did see apicture tonight of two 6lb and a couple of smaller Wallyes a guy caught last weekend.
[signature]
I haven't made it yet either the wind has just been uncooperative. I have been fishing at Carey lake for perch as of late but I want to try Salmon but the wind has to go away.
[signature]
Looks like another good setup, TD.

Agree with you on the wiring jobs, but burning your motor or finder is not the worst that can happen. A short circuit on board due to incorrect wiring or something metallic crossing the posts could be quite nasty. Fire on board in confined quarters or branding from red hot wiring can happen in a few seconds. The lead battery will head for the bottom if enough floatation is lost due to melting/fire puncture and it may take what/who is left with it in a matter of seconds.

Does your storage area where you have placed batteries stay dry? Is there any model of "V" tube where water doesn't sit in the bottom of the storage area? Maybe your bumpers are keeping water out, or at least reducing the amount of water in the storage area....

I don't much like having a wet storage behind me. Wonder if anyone has rigged a meshed platform, or figured something to keep your snacks dry....

Thanks,

Pon

[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]Right you are. My bad. I have not done anything like that since the OLDEN DAYS when I rigged my first old Humminbird flasher up to two 6 volt lantern batteries. That was a series hookup so I could get 12 volts. Wasn't thinking.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Obviously, anybody considering fancy wiring jobs should know what they are doing or consult an expert before hooking it up to their motor. Having and using a voltage tester is another bit of insurance to make sure you have it right.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will edit my previous post.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks for catching that.[/#0000ff][/quote]
[signature]
[quote pontoonman]Looks like another good setup, TD.

Does your storage area where you have placed batteries stay dry? Is there any model of "V" tube where water doesn't sit in the bottom of the storage area? Maybe your bumpers are keeping water out, or at least reducing the amount of water in the storage area....

I don't much like having a wet storage behind me. Wonder if anyone has rigged a meshed platform, or figured something to keep your snacks dry....

Thanks, Pon [/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Those small storage areas are definitely not "dry storage". If you want to keep something dry back there you have to use a dry storage bag or a deep plastic storage container. Quite a few tubers do that...even using small coolers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have my battery inside a high-sided special battery box. Virtually zero chance of the terminals getting soaked...unless I flip my tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I usually do not a lot of munchables out with me. But if I do I usually take a sandwich or energy bar in my little chest pack I wear. If that gets wet I got more problems than soggy eats.[/#0000ff]
[signature]