Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard, wet & windy (6/12)
[font "Courier New"][#004080][size 3]I knew the Fishing Pox was going to attack, so I went to bed at 6 P.M. Friday night. Slept about an hour, then was awake until after 2 A.M.! I still got to Willard on time at 6 A.M. The wind was lighter than it was at my house, so my hopes got up. I met Cliff and we loaded the boat and got checked in.

I figured since it was overcast, I would try my glow-in-the-dark jig. After an hour of that not working, I figured I'd try my jig that has a sparkly purple head and chartreuse tail. Later in the day I tried silver sparkle head and hot pink tail. All tried with Garlic gel scent stuff (now my tackle box smells like bread sticks!). I also tried a couple crank baits...a short/fat silver and yellow-brown, a short/fat silver and black, and a long/thin silver and blue. I didn't put gel scent on the cranks, though.

Cliff caught a Wiper in the first couple of hours (I didn't write down the exact time, but I think it was before 10 A.M.), in the South marina. He also caught a small mouth bass on our second round in the South marina. We also trolled around in random spots out in the main lake.

Rain was mostly a drizzle, but got pretty steady at other times. Same with the wind...light breeze or minor gusts. The waves weren't too bad, a few white caps ever so often. The marinas were the calmest areas, probably since they're more sheltered.

When we got finished, my wimpy self went and sat in the car with the heater on, while I made poor Cliff stand out in the wind (which really got bad, just as we got back) to do the weigh-in. Only 3.8 pounds, so not a winner.

Even though we didn't place, I still had a good time. Could'a been a little better with better weather, but at least I got to spend time with a nice guy and doing my favorite hobby.

It seems that everybody has a lucky charm. I have yet to find mine. Apparently putting the symbol of the fish on my purty nails did not placate the fish gods...then again, they couldn't see my dedication, as I wore my wool gloves all day! LOL

[inline fishnails.JPG]

In the late morning, the storm was purty, too!

[inline mist61210.JPG]
[inline mist361210.JPG]
[inline mist461210.JPG]
[/size][/#004080][/font]
[signature]
Great Post!!! The fish will eventually bow before you!!! Nice nails, maybe the fish saw the reflection? JK. Its cool that you had fun tho, Wish I was there!!!

See you around....maybe bountiful when it warms up to your zone again.....we have to find someway to make you cold blooded..lol,

Happy fishing,

Shawn
[signature]