Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Over-inflation issues
Being a newbie - Evidently, there is a negative reaction to overinflation and being out in high temperatures. It stands to reason that as temperatures rise, the air within the chambers will expand to a certain point.
Are there any guidelines to follow in high temperature situations in regards to inflation?
Thanks,
Boz
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is an issue that all newbie tubers have to learn for themselves...hopefully, not the hard way. Here are some basic guidelines.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. Not a good idea to take your craft to the water inside your vehicle while fully inflated...especially if you have the heater on and you filled your tube in cooler temperatures.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. Ditto for going home at the end of the day when the sun is beating down on your vehicle after you filled your tube early in the morning when it was cooler.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. One of the first things you should do when coming ashore is check the firmness of your tube cover. If it is pretty firm, bleed off some air. The hot sun beating down on a tube that is partially or fully out of the cooling water can expand the air to hazardous stage.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4. If you launch early morning, when it is cool and the water is cool, go ahead and top off your tube to firmness before launching. But, once the sun gets a bit higher and radiant heat warms the surface of your tube it will swell up and the cover can get super firm. Again, a good idea is to just tap the release valve a couple of times to drop a bit of air. Not enough to let your tube fold up around you, but enough to take it from rock hard to pushy firm.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]5. You will notice the reverse aspect of this when launching in late afternoon heat and fishing into the cooler evening. Your tube will shrink a bit and you should have a pump handy to top it off. Ditto for taking your tube out of a warm vehicle and plopping it in cold water...or letting it set in cold morning air. Might have to add a few strokes on the pump to make sure you have a firm stable ride on the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Use common sense and the laws of physics to guide you.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I am a firm believer in an Air pressure gauge. Specially if there are two bladders.

I also feel the upper end Material of the bladder makes all the difference.
I filled my Urethane Toons/Tubes when I got to a destination and never had to worry about them the rest of the time I was there.
If I was at a higher, cooler altitude, I didn't worry about it going home either.
Just my experiences.
[signature]
I inflated my toon in the valley and drove to Scofield with it attached to my roof. Well it expolded. Think the sound of a bomb. Luckily I was not on it but I was in the Durango and it was still on the top when it EXPOLDED!

Did I mention it exploded? OMG that was scarry. Needless to say I never inflate until at the waters edge.
[signature]
yeah man, watch out for that.When I go fishing the Sierras
Im going from about 1000 feet to about 11000 feet.
Huge difference in pressure..............

Peter
[signature]
Absolutely...fill at the destination/water. In fact, a good idea to inflate at the lake, put the tube/toon IN the water then get ready (waders, shoes flippers poles/rods) Then check the boat after it has sat in the water for awhile.

On pontoons, it is hard to JUDGE equal air in both, that is why I recommend a gauge. Like a car with one low tire. it will still move, but not at it's best.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]Is there a small hand pump available, that will fit in the storage pockets, that can be taken out with you? I’ve looked around and everything I’ve found is BIG, or bigger than I’d like/[/font]
[signature]
I have a K-Pump 100 with me although I have never needed it on the water.
It fits in my bag, but small enough diameter to could strap it to the side of the tube, plus it is a HAND pump, you don't need to stand on it.

They are pricie though.
[signature]
[quote WeeFolk][font "Times New Roman"]Is there a small hand pump available, that will fit in the storage pockets, that can be taken out with you? I’ve looked around and everything I’ve found is BIG, or bigger than I’d like/[/font][/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]I used to carry a small red pump I got at Wally World for about $7. It was not good enough to use for full inflation on all trips but it was a good size to stuff behind the seat. Just be sure to keep it in a waterproof bag because otherwise it will get water inside. Of course the K pumps are so much better...but pricier too.[/#0000ff]
[inline "AIR PUMPS.JPG"]
[signature]
Good info, TD. I also use the smaller pump in your picture which is black when purchased at Big Lots.

I am still looking for something that can be easily used on the fly and can be done with only one hand. So I am looking into adapting a large bulb similar to those used for blood pressure cuffs. The volume output would be low but so is the squeezing effort. So it could only be used for topping off. Inflatable seats maybe could be quickly adjusted while on the water. Anyway, just an idea. Let you know if it works out.

Pon

[quote TubeDude][quote WeeFolk][font "Times New Roman"]Is there a small hand pump available, that will fit in the storage pockets, that can be taken out with you? I’ve looked around and everything I’ve found is BIG, or bigger than I’d like/[/font][/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]I used to carry a small red pump I got at Wally World for about $7. It was not good enough to use for full inflation on all trips but it was a good size to stuff behind the seat. Just be sure to keep it in a waterproof bag because otherwise it will get water inside. Of course the K pumps are so much better...but pricier too.[/#0000ff]
[/quote]
[signature]
Someday, when the K-Pump quits working, going to have to take it apart and look inside, cause the outside is just plain ol' PVC in different sizes.
What I like, is you just hold it over the valve. No special tubes or adaptors, plus no hose to kink.
[signature]
I use the red ones like in the picture. I get them for 1.00 at the local second hand store. I have one in the truck to inflate with. I keep one in a storage box for a back up. and another is on the toon or tube for an adjustment if I stay out late in the evening. The one I use all the time has filled my toon and tube hundereds of times without a hitch. Ron
[signature]
Definitely. Those are killer pumps. I still have three of them (they come with my NFO boats)
But they are very difficult to use from a seated position, and you need the little tube or the adaptor.
K-pump could be used out ON the water.
[signature]
That gal sure likes her K pump. I have one too and would not go back.
[signature]
I have a black one like the red one in TD's pic. I got it at cabelas in their bairgain cave last year. Fits in a pocket and works great.
[signature]
Found one, made by Intex, for $5.00..
[Image: 941891.jpg][/url]
Going to get short piece of tubing instead of the furnised one. It's about the same size as my theros.. Got it at Fred Meyers, so if it don't work I can take it back..
[signature]
I have never understood this overinflation issue .I leave one of mine inflated the entire season.If it seems soft I add a bit if it seems tight on the water I bleed off a tiny ammount.
I am leaving for south Iowa in the AM with my Fish Cat #4 inflated in the back of the van.
I doubt there will be any problems even in the high country and it is as much as a couple hundred feet higher than here. lol [Image: bobwink.gif][sly][Image: bobwink.gif][sly]
Seriously, I hope you get the pressure down pat. Illinoiisgiller
[signature]
Yep, that is what I have![cool] Great to carry out on the water for a quick top off.
[signature]
On my FC9 I would have to get to land to inflate. The velves are back far enough I could not reach them to pump them up. The ODC boats I can inflate from the seat. My FC4 would not be easy from the seat. I guess I am saying I don't mine getting out of the seat. I would also take care of other things at the same time[Image: happy.gif].
Ron
[signature]
With all due respect, Illinois is not known for it's mountains.[cool]
Here I live at about 4,200 ft. To the top of the summit (20 minutes away) 7,000 + feet. To the Uinta's, 11,000.
We DO have to worry about over inflating before hand.
We have Lakes that are over 200 ft deep[laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]