Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dry fork trail and lakes ( report )
hi all myself and tincanfish took a hike up dry fork trail north slope of the uintas i do not recomend this hike if you are carrying a extra 40 pounds around your waist like i am and have a broken toe to boot its close to a nine mile round trip up some rocky fairly steep hills to fish lake the farest lake we fished speaking of fish went up to catch some artic grayling we first stopped at round lake where i caught one 10' brookie we then moved up to sand lake where i got my first grayling only about 6" but beautiful got three more and let tincanfish use my panther martin seemed the only thing they would hit and he got five since all the one we were catching were on the small side we hiked it up to fish lake and started catching fish right away final count when we left i had 24 grayling my biggest a solid 14" and the one brook tincanfish had 12 grayling it was all about lure color # 4 panther martin black body brass blade caught over 20 of the grayling while i would not recomend the hike if you want to catch a grayling i highly reccomend the fishing well thats enough rambling ( to much sun ) i'm am now going to crawl to the bathroom since i can not walk at this time ( to much uphill hiking ) and soak in a hot bath

chris
[signature]
what a cool adventure! any pics?

sm
[signature]
Great report auquaman and tincanfish. I am jealous of the day trip. You guys working Friday? I have the day off and would like to get a small lake/float tube trip in, maybe mantua or the likes.
[signature]
Great report Chris. Glad you and Tincan got into some grayling. I would have loved to join you guys, but then again 9 miles is also a long ways to carry my extra spare up the mountain.
[signature]
well bummer oej i do work friday or i would gladly go along maybe another time we took some pictures with tcf"s camera maytbe he has a way to post some i'm not sure

chris
[signature]
Great report, thank you for sharing. Old Tincan is pretty tough. He used to be a pro bike racer. I'll bet the hike didn't even phase him, eh?.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Curious what time you started hiking, and what time you returned to your vehicle?
[signature]
Hey Aqua,

I've caught lots of grayling when I took a trip to the Windrivers last summer. It was a hell of a hike in, but beautiful lakes, much like the Uintahs, The area we went to had been burned in a forest fire a few years ago, so some areas were a bit ugly. The grayling, it seemed, would almost never take a fly. We caught nearly all of them on spinners. The color that was just dynamite was anything orange. Like an orange panther martin. Other colors weren't as productive, but they still caught fish. For some reason I can't remember the name of the lakes we went to...if anyone wants to know, I'll try to remember or ask my dad, he has a better memory than me!
[signature]
i have to tell you kayote your buddy tincan is 1/2.....no.....3/4 mountion goat at least he waited at the top of each hill as i sloooowly clawed my way to the top but really he's a cool dude to take a day off of work at take me in never would have done it myself first hill second for sure i would have turned around the total time in if i rember right we started at 535 AM and was just under four hours in to round lake and we left fish lake about 210 PM and took almost three and a half hours getting to the car about 530 PM tincan probuly could have shaved a hour off each way with out me to drag along

chris
[signature]
Hey Aquaman, thanks for the kind word's. You forgot the moose that we spooked. I did take some pics but it might be a while before I can get them on here. I thought that I was a hardcore fisherman/outdoorsman but aquaman put me too shame, 9 mile's with a broken toe. Dude your tough.
If any one want's to hike in to fish lake just let me know.
I was thinking maybe next time I go I might bring my float tube.
[Wink]Tincanfsh.
[signature]
dont let tincan fool you all i literally clawed and scratchrd my way up each hill i would have rolled down each one on the way back but i did'nt want to break my pole LOL if anyone wants to go catch a grayling and tincan will take you in my suggestion GO he's a cool dude you'll have a blast with

chris
[signature]