Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what are the must haves?
This is going to sound a little funny, but I am outfitting my new tackle box and am wondering from all you fishing experts what are some of your best must haves as far as lures go. I do a lot of fishing at utah lake and other waters around the area and I am getting into walleye, cat, perch, bass etct, but have mostly fished for trout and don't know what works the best for other types of fish. any help in this area woule be greatly appreciated. Thanks[Wink]

Jed Burton
[signature]
I always carry a chrome kastmaster, silver and brass jakes lures. So far I have found that these will pretty much catch anything... So far...
[signature]
JIGS , JIGS , JIGS , and if you have more room more jigs . LOL I like rapalas , panther martins , mepps . the list is so long . and jigs if you didn't realize it .
[signature]
If Large Mouth bass at Utah lake is your target get some spinners with 2 blades and white or dark colored skirts. Don't forget the plastics like 4" or 5" worms in white or dark colors and Senkos and I have been having luck with 3" tubes. 1/0 & 2/0 worm hooks and weights as well as a couple of lipless cranks like rattle traps or producers. Get some 2" and 3 or 4" white curly tail grubs and don't forget the jig heads. That should be enough to get you started in catching some fish.

Good Luck,

Al
[signature]
Mets and I usually only use them on trout as well but I have caught perch, SMB and all types of trout on them, I have heard of some people at the docks at willard catching walleye and wipers on them as well.
[signature]
I swear I think I got 256 colors of them . but in the plastics I like white , chartreuse , browns and smoke and get some with pepper or some sparkle in them . Try to match the food for the fish you are after . Senkos are great too . Just started fishing them this year and bass love them . Buzzbaits are good to have a few of them for bass . It all makes a difference on where you are and what you are trying to get but jigs have caught a lot of different fish for me . 2" to 3" grubs or tubes is a good size to get started with . Trout will eat marabou jigs good but also plastics too . I find jigs to be much cheaper than rapalas and other lures . I don't get to upset when I snag and break off . Lots of different brands of jigs out there and can be overwhelming to a beginner . Go to Hooked Tackle or somewhere and get someone to help you pick out some jigs for your fishing trip . Thats how it all started with me , I picked up 2 colors and some jigheads and was off to catch a fish .
[signature]
If I could only have two lures (can't limit to one( can barely do two)) I would have a black jig in 1/8 oz. and a jointed crayfish Shad Rap. I lied, that's not enough. A Jake's Spin-a-Lure, Panther Martins, tube jigs in many sizes, Senkos, 6 inch grape rubber worms, and buzzbaits, and jig and pigs and........ heck I guess there's a reason I have all this stuff. LMAO

Good Shopping, Kayote
[signature]
Im with H69. I find jigs my favorite bait. Go to Hooked and get green (I never use the word chartruse) and white What-A-Crickets. 3/8 oz. white and florensent orange heads. 1/32 oz orange jig head, tipped with freah shrimp for Strawberry. Just ask James to give you stuff IFG uses. With the exception of Wipers and Muskie, I've caught everyting that swims in Utah with What-A-Crickets. Learn how to use a jig and will swear off stick baits forever. I still use stick baits now and then but jigs are more versitle. Plus, you can buy a billion jigs for the price of a couple of Rapalas. Hey, I might not be easy, but I'm cheap.
[signature]