Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
big cottonwood canyon
we are heading up big cottonwood canyon saturday and i am wondering what is working in the stream. where are the good holes? and how is silver lake fishing? what is working there?
any info would be appreciatted.
[signature]
leaky:
Flyfishingmoose and I fished Big Cottonwood recently and used flyrods in the areas where the creek meanders through a flat meadow. Sorry, I don't know the area well enough to be more specific. Many pools can be found there. Small nymphs were working in lighter colors, but the fish were small and eager, maybe six or seven inches.
Silver Lake appears to be higher than last year. The trout were hitting bright red Power Bait that I saw another angler using. I caught one on a Panther Martin - gray, silver blade tipped with a curly tail in "glass ghost" color. This combination seems to work for me on trout at almost any location with ultralight spinning gear and 2# line.
Regards,
uncleray
[signature]
I don't know much about the stream but if you hike up to lake catherine you can find some great fly action for brookies. Anything small enough to fit in their mouths will probably work. That's been my experience. Also you'll probably see a moose or two.
[signature]
Okay Junksiege,

This is getting kind of scary. We must have been twins in a former life. Lake Catherine is my favorite local high mountain lake. I bet you make it to upper Red Pine once in a while too, don't you? Twin Lakes at Brighton? Lake Mary? Lake Blanche possibly?

m
[signature]
leakyboat,

The stream at Big Cottonwood is consistent. It is fast for planters if they're in there. That aspect of the stream is put and take. Use the standards baits like salmon egg and lures. The browns are harder to catch but there are quite a few if you know what you are doing. This time of year dry flies work pretty good. I don't think the fish are too picky most of the time so standard fly patterns work well. If you want to fish bait use small worms, the kind you get when you dig, not night crawlers. Use a small hook with the worms. I use #12 fly hook with the barb bent slightly out. Be prepared for a lot of snags. Be sneaky. Fish areas of the stream where it is harder to get to, like away from established parking areas and picnic grounds. Expect relatively small fish. If you get one that is 12 inches you have a monster. I let the browns go(please). I don't care if you keep the planters because if you don't someone else will. Don't be surprised if you get brookies around the Spruces Campground and above, but they are small. Wear a long sleeve shirt to keep the flies off of you. They can drive you nuts. Most of all, have fun.

m
[signature]