Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypothetical Cat
Hypothetical situation: Say I went out to replenish my supply of catfish bait this afternoon. I'm using my bow in a small feeder stream in Goshen Bay. The small stream is a hog wallow of carp. I spot a big "carp" plunk him with a nice broadside shot. When I rertieve him I discover that the "carp" is a 28 inch 11 pound channel cat. Am I afoul of the law??
Again, just a hypothetical situation.[:/]
[signature]
Although not intentional I still believe the answer would be -- yes.
[signature]
Hypothetically... Woohoo!!! Way to go!
[signature]
So....what would be the ethical response to such a situation?

1- Contact the nearest DWR officer and plead for mercy?
2- Go on my way and sin no more?
3- Keep my mouth shut?
4- Learn from the honest mistake and be aware that channel cats are to be found in shallow carp wallows?
5- Hide the "evidence" in the reeds and sneak home on the back roads?
6- Know my target?

Any other possibilities for an individual who has the highest regard for game laws and has not had a citation in over 50 years afield?
[signature]
I consider it bycatch just like the company that is removing those heathens from the lake. You win some you lose some.
[signature]
7- don't post your stupidy on a public forum......[crazy]
[signature]
#8 Relax, it was a mistake. I'd say go out fishing this weekend and forget about it. They aren't going to put anyone on a most wanted poster for this hypothetical situation.[fishon]
[signature]
I agree, were talkin about the fish and game here. There the ones who wait until guys kill 19 or 20 trophy bucks before they decide to make their case. I think youll be fine. But I would suggest next time you take a second and look past the tip of your arrrow [Wink].
[signature]
My vote would be with Kent and Fuzzy both. I would probably remove my hypothetical question too. My save you a hypothetical visit.
[signature]