Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing at Willard 06/ 19/10
Got out on Willard yesterday with Wiperslayer, for the first time in almost two months. With the warm weather I sure expected the catching to be better[unimpressed]. Launched from the South marina around 6:30 am and noticed a boat, I think it was a Bayliner with a cutty cab, moored about 10 to 20 yards from the docks. It had BFT stickers and a flag out the back. At first I thought it had drifted away from the dock, until I noticed it was anchored. I'm guessing who ever it belonged to was sleeping[:/] but I thought about stopping by and saying hi.
Well on to the story, got out onto the bay and started trolling East of the Feedlot, it was calm with a few fish jumping or splashing here or there. We trolled toward Freeway bay with not a strike until we changed direction and one of the side planner went down. Great I thought, looks like a good start until I started reeling in and could feel no head shaking. My pole was doubled over and line was being pulled out at a steady pace. I finally started gaining some ground and after ten minutes or so brought in a fine brown fish. Too bad it was a foul hooked carp[frown]. We decided to change locations and headed toward the light pole, on the way he noticed Reelfast was there and decide to pull along side him and see how he was doing. He had one walleye and had lost another but fishing was slow for him as well. We continued West and started trolling between the light pole and the SW corner. Not long after we started, we finally caught our first wiper, not big but at least it wasn't a carp. We continued to troll to the SW corner then East toward the South marina. Saw a few more boats that looked liked Petty4life and another that looked like Rileyfish but we did not
talk. No more fish were caught until we could see the entrance to the marina, then another side planner went down. This happen one more time before we decided to call it quits a little before 1pm. Lots of boaters out there making the water choppy, water temp was 65* when we launch and was up to 68 or 69* when we left. Anyone else make it out there yesterday?
WH2
[signature]
The kids & I went out on Friday evening for a while. We started out fairly slow by the light pole area, but things picked up when we ran to the north east and found shallower (warmer) water. We ended up with six wipers, all going between 19"-22" and about 3-4 lbs.

We worked plastics mostly, but did catch one on a lipless crank.

It's fish taco's for father day dinner for us!!
[signature]
We fished Willard as well yesterday! 5 fish in the boat with a couple decent ones[Smile]!! We left shortly after the power squadrin showed up!! Nice to see a few faces!
[signature]
My buddy and I were up there saturday and found it warm and flat and beautiful. And dead. We trolled from the south marina into freeway bay with cranks and curly tails to no avail so we just let it drift and cast drop shot plastics and nothing. Got the planer boards going again and headed back towards the marina. My girlfriend text me and asked how the fishing was and I had bad written and was moving my thumb towards send when my buddies board went under. Landed our first wiper this year and our first on a board ever. It's amazing how four pounds of fish flesh can take the fishing from bad to alright. still, after three skunk trips up there that's one expensive fish, think he needs some buddies to split the money I spend to catch them [Smile] When are fish going to start really biting up there??
[signature]
Curt are you going to join us at the Meet, Greet, & Eat at the Gorge on the 10th of July? We didn't make it last year but are planning on attending this year, should be fun.[fishin]
[signature]
Oh yea, one more guy I forgot about seeing yesterday, thanks for cheering me on while I was catching that big brown fish[Wink]. I bet I could remember a few more folks I saw there yesterday, if I think real hard. From the sounds of it you must have done better than anyone else.
[signature]
you went buy me a couple times curt. but fishing was very slow for us
[signature]
my brother and i trolled from the south dike to the light pole and back, then across the lake to free way bay, all i caught was a nice buzz
[signature]
my fishing partner caught one of those to[:p]
[signature]
Bait_Caster and I were also out there Saturday. Man, it was wierd!! I was REALLY stumped as to why wiper fishing was so slow. I have never seen it go from so good (12 big wipers in the pouring rain all day a week ago) to just one small wiper after two days of hig pressure ... go figure????

I too seen that Bayliner anchord up in the marina. I found out who it was! As I was driving home Saturday afternoon, I came up on it going down the freeway with the BFT flag just a flyin. I recognized the driver as SpiderWelder ... one of my good fishing buddies. He said that he had fished Willard all knight the night before and caught a few nice ones in the night. Then decided to sleep a while in the cutty.
[signature]
That is what Jamie was saying yesterday, he remembered talking to SpiderWelder last year about him buying a new boat, so now we know the rest of the story[Wink].
[signature]
I still have not caught a wiper this year. We didnt get skunked but the pickins were thin with only a small walleye to show for ourselves. There were a couple guys that got this nice one though.
[signature]

AFDan52 and son were fishing on Saturday Morning with that crazy bunch of BFT folks. we fished from the South Marina to Freeway Bay for a couple of laps. Then we headed out for some deeper water and my Fishfinder decided to crap out on me, nospeed , no depth, no nothing. thought it might be a blown fuse , the fuse was blown but not the only problem.
Oh well fish on .We stayed mostly on the South end of Willard bay and my son caught the Wiper in our boat , just a dink but at least the skunk was off. We were very pleased with the performance of our new Yamaha 9.9 hp kicker motor we got last year, runs like a dream.
Looking forward to next year Curt , Thanks again and great job as usual.
[signature]
I fished from 1pm until 7:30pm on thursday and couldnt find anything in my usual spots. I did end up finding the walleye after all day of searching and by then my trolling battery was dead and I was almost out of gas(isnt that luck) I landed one fat 20" walleye.
I agree that this is a weird season. When I fillet the eye I checked to see what it was eating and the stomach was completly empty. I also couldnt find the shad. So my theory is if you find them "they" will come.
[signature]
Dan,

I think that guy on the right in your picture picked up a very nice wiper last year too!
[signature]
Yea I was also out there Saturday Morning. Put a few in the cooler for some great tasting Fish tacos Later!!!

I thought that was you and Ira in his boat. Seen Petty and Coot and Muskyhunter. Looks like we hit it hard but the fish schooled us!
[signature]
Hey Dan, nice running into you and your wife. It was the only fish to the boat, Had another fish on that looked to be fighting like a walleye but never got to see it. I fished from one side of the lake to the other, I didn't hit the feed lot or freeway bay but from a report I got I should have tried it. Any way really slow for use. Looks like it might be a repeat from last year? That walleye had an empty stomach to. maybe he was looking for breakfast when my lure came swimming buy[Wink]

Looks like there was quite a few BFTers on the lake.

fnf
[signature]
After a few years off the water, I have a new boat in the garage, installed a new lowrance elite 5 in it today, picked up a new rod/reel, some new lures, dusted off the old ones, I am excited to get back fishing! I just got back from a 2 week trip fishing for kings and halibut in AK, I guess that's what really got the itch going again, I hope to see some of you guys on the water, keep on eye out 18ft four wins with a blue bimini top, I think I still have some BFT stickers somewhere....
[signature]