Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canning Fish (Trout)
Canning fish: (Trout)

Wash fish to be canned to remove all slime. Brookies & Cuts are a little slimier than Rainbows & Browns.

Remove scales, most people don't think trout have scales but the do.

Remove fins, head & tail. Don't need to take the skin off

Cut the fish into equal lengths about the size of a pint jar (4 inches)

Put one tablespoon salt into a HOT jar. The jar has to be very warm to prevent breaking when placed into the boiling water of the pressure cooker, I usually run a load of jars through the dishwasher just before I get ready to can salsa of fish and keep them hot and ready to use, this also gives you a clean jar. Its a good idea to heat your seals at this time also.

Place fish into jar skin side facing out.

Place sealed jars (don't really crank down on the seals, just make them tight) into the hot watrer of the pressure cooker make sure water covers the top of the jars by a couple inches. Put the lid on the pressure cooker pressurize the cooker and time for 1 hour @ 15 lbs pressure. When cooking time is completed bleed off pressure and remove the lid. Place jars on counter until cooled. You will know if the jars sealed by pushing on the top of the jar if it doesn't pop you've got a good seal, sometimes during cooling you will hear the jars seal when you hear it pop on its own.

Be careful we don't want anyone burned if you're not famaliar working with a pressure cooker and still want to can your fish get with someone who know how to use one.

I'm still looking for flavored recipes for canning fish, tomatoe, mustard flavorings...

enjoy
[signature]
Great post FFM, thanks. I once made pickled fish that came out pretty good also. You can also use that canning method on game meat. Your posts always drive me to go get lunch. LMAO. Later.

Good Eating, Kayote
[signature]
I'll be posting salsa recipes soon.
[signature]
If you don't want to scale your fish and clean the slime off try this. Cut the fins off and then pull back the head to break the spine. If your pressure cooking it it doesn't matter if you clip them close to the skin. Once you've got that far start pulling the head back and the skin will come with it. The first part of skinning the meat will want to stay with the skin so run your finger in between the meat and skin and keep on pulling. It's best to do this when they are fresh but you still can do it by keeping them cold. From their do what you know what to do.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Do you fill the rest of the bottle with water after you put the trout in? Also how do you prepare canned trout? Do you make sandwiches out of it or eat it plain. I would like to try preserving some fish for my food storage but I don't know what to do with it when it comes time to eat it. Also do you know how long it wil stay good?

Thanks Cableguy
[signature]
another way to enjoy canned trout is to attend the trout and berry days in paradise. Whites trout farm cans trout into tuna sized cans that is very good.

they have different flavors and spices that they add to it as well.

they also have a trout scramble thats a hoot for the kids, they let loose a ton of trout into a small pool and let the kids dive in and catch them by hand.

I believe it falls on the last weekend of august but I'm not sure I'll find out and be there. DZ
[signature]
Yopu can use it just like tuna. I was amazed that it tasted a lot like tuna. I canned mine last year and opened up one the other day it tastes great. As long as it stays sealed it should be good.

As far as water in the cans/jars well when you pressure cook it the water in the pressure cooker gets into the jars. When I get a chance to post a picture of some of my canned fish I'll do it.

The last jar I opened up I ate it right out of the jar, but my daughter had me make hers up into a troutwich er sandwich and she enjoyed it that way.

Toasted bread with melted cheese yum, make it just like a grilled cheese sandwich.
[signature]
Whens lunch?
[signature]
There is always one in the crowd thinking with his stomach
[signature]
Thanks for the reply Flyfishingmoose. I am excited to give it a try. I will have to go to the lower weber tonight and get some planter trout to try it with. I think canned trout would be a good addition to my food storage, kind of get bored with the same old canned stuff and wheat and so on.

Cableguy
[signature]
Make sure you know how to use the pressure cooker, don't do what I did. The first time I ever used on I almost blew up the kitchen, over pressurized it and blew out the safety plug, ruined a real nice unit. My wife had to teach me how to use it and I had a very ugly mess to clean up, let alone buying a new cooker. There are many method/recipes online to use I got mine online, just typed in "canned fish" and picked the easiest the modified it for the size jars and type of fish being canned. Most important don't under cook you invite botulism (is that spelled right?)

Have fun and good eating
[signature]
Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure and take a lesson from the wife before I try it. It sounds pretty dangerous!

Cableguy
[signature]