Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snake River Smallies - 8/6/03
Hi folks,

Recognizing that this is a Utah forum, I thought I would go ahead and post any way with the hope that some of you folks might enjoy.

Left for the Snake Sunday, fished Monday, Tuesday and 1/2 day Wednesday. Took a friend and my grandson, with our dogs. The area is on the Snake below Boise. We walked in for about 3-4 miles. Of course this time of year it's hot. Fishing was excellent! The limit is 6 over 12 inches and we never had a problem catching our limit and more, practicing catch and release of course! Had fish every night. Each of us probably caught more than 2 dozen every day under 12 in. A few were in the 14 in. category but we lost a few monsters either by coming out of the water and throwing our jig back in our face, or badly tied knots[mad]. Some flat broke the line with a lung around a rock etc [shocked]. We used 6 lb test line!

Saw one rattler, cayote, quail, water fowl, lizards and one bull snake. Stayed clear of the rattler. Dogs got a lot of swimming in along with staying cool, so did we. The area we were in, we saw no one else. Temps were in the low to mid 90's in Boise but hotter where we were once away from the river because of the rock canyon walls on either side. Water flow was on the low side but not real low.

[Smile]I love river smallies!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was very rewarding for my grandson and fishing buddy. It was their first time there.

[crazy][Smile]Leaky
Thanks for the report Leaky. I'll be passing through Boise somewhere around midnight tonight. I'm on my way to Portland for a Saturday wedding, so I'm taking my gear for the Columbia while I'm there. I won't have much time, since I'm heading back Sunday morning, but I'll wet a line anywhere I can.
[signature]
A most excellent report Leaky. Thank you for sharing. Always love a good bass report. I have always wanted to chase those smallies on the Snake. You sure get to fish a lot my friend, I'm jealous. Damn job LMAO.

Good Bass Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Kayote,

Heh,Heh. Ok, I'll go ahead and show my age/ignorance!!!!!! I'm not proud! What does LAMAO stand for???? I'm still trying to catch up to you gys. I know, no hope!

[crazy]Leaky
Leaky, you found the smallie Mecha of the western United States. I've to both CJ Strike and Milner in july. I can't wait to try the Snake in the fall and spring.

LMAO-laugh my a$$ off.

Sorry, I haven't got back to you about Jordanelle. Because of the over abundance of baitfish, Jordanelle is fishing poorly this summer. I'm hoping it will get hot in sept-oct.
[signature]