Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions?
I have befriended a refugee from Iraq and tomorrow I'm taking him fishing and I'm wondering if people can offer suggestions on the best chance for us. The gentleman is slightly disabled in that he can't walk too far and can't climb up and down hills, so I'm looking for somewhere that you can drive pretty close to. I'd like to be within an hour of where he lives, which is Holladay. I don't think the type of fish matters to him, he just wants to get out. I think he used to fish for carp in Iraq. He said that they came out of nice clean water and that made them very tasty. He'd probably like to catch some fish to eat, but getting out and fishing are the most important things to him. He's been through hell the past few years and can't get out and do much now so I want him to have the best experience possible. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#0000bf][size 3]Most of the community ponds are handicap accessible. Parking is close, and there's sidewalks on flat terrain. I've only been to Willow Park in SLC county. It's very close from parking lot to the shore only a couple yards. There is a fishing pier, which is a bit longer of a walk (100 feet or so?). I haven't been to the other ponds in Salt Lake county, but they're similar...most have fishing piers that accommodate wheelchairs.

If you want to know where the ponds are, and which ones are handicapped accessible, see this link

[url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/cf/cf_book_10.pdf"]http://wildlife.utah.gov/cf/cf_book_10.pdf[/url]

If you want to go to a "real" body of water, Willard can be good. You can park at Pellican beach, and fish right off the edge of the parking lot - opposite the docks, since you're not supposed to fish off the docks. It can be a bit tricky, because you're raised up from the water by a small wall of rocks, but there's more stuff to catch in there besides just trout and catfish.
There's also a "point" you can fish off, on either side - either into the marina or out into the lake. I have walked that far, a couple times, if I take it slow and turn my oxygen tank up a bit.

I hope that helps!

[/size][/#0000bf][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I've thought about one of the community ponds, but had some difficult experiences at one of them. I helped with one of the community fishing clubs for kids this past spring. I didn't personally fish, but the kids had a very tough time catching anything and others around the pond didn't seem to do well either (it was the Sandy pond). But I'm still considering it because it might prove to be the best bet. Maybe a different pond would be better.
[signature]
I'd wait a few weeks for Silver Lake, up Big Cottonwood (Brighton), to get stocked and take him there. It's close enough, should be fast fishing, and it's beautiful.

Boardwalk access, right next to the water.
[signature]