Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what am I doing wrong?
hey I hit lincoln this morning from about 6:30 to 11 and only caught one white bass and tried to use him for bait but lost him on a snag fishing straight off the point. Where is the best place to cast around there for some channell cat action? I have had a lot better luck at lindon. Maybe that is just a better spot to fish or just a bad day eh? The other question I had is on how to jig the best. I have never really done much jigging and am wondering if any of you guys have any advice? Or perhaps know a good websight where I can learn how. Oh I know how to tie a worm harness, but don't know how to fish them. anyone on here familiar with worm harnesses and how to fish them the best.

jed Burton
[signature]
[cool]Don't jump off your tackle box just yet, Jed. Lincoln Beach is one of those places that it takes awhile to learn And, even when you think you know it pretty good, you can still get humbled.

Like all the spots around the lake, there are good times and bad times. If the fish are "IN"...and they are cooperative...they can make you feel like a professional. If they are not there, or in a neutral or inactive mode, you will leave there talking to yourself...or posting HELP on the boards.

This year is not a "typical" year anywhere on Utah Lake. With the water levels so far down, all the things everybody thought they knew doesn't always work so good. So, you have to go back to basics. Try to find as much depth as possible...and some cover if you can...rocks, stickups, pilings, etc. Lincoln Beach has plenty of rocks. They eat tackle. They also have some unseen channels and holes that fish like to hold in, but are hard to find if you are casting from shore.

Even when you fish that area from a boat or float tube, you can count on donating some tackle to the real estate beneath the water. Casting lures from shore is a masochistic pursuit at best. Fishing bait at Lincoln Beach is best accomplished with a float, being careful to keep the bait above the worst of the snags. And, next time you get a white bass for bait, try fishing one fillet at a time...not the whole fish.

If you fish at night down there, the cats will come into very shallow water after dark...especially on clear nights. I don't know what the approaching full moon will do to them, but it's always a good excuse when you don't catch anything.

On the jigging bit, there is no quick answer to "How to Jig". In fact, last year Kent Jasperson asked for some suggestions and it took me about 55 pages of Word Document to address the issue. If you are a real masochist, and are determined to improve your jigging techniques, Kent can get that to you or you can send me an email or PM and I will send it over to you.

Hang in there. If it was always catchin' we'd call it harvesting instead of angling. And, if you ever get a good enough handle on all the spots in that lake to be able to catch what you want whenever you want, you could retire early as a rich guide and consultant.
[signature]
My personal favorite for cats is just a plain nightcrawler 2 feet under a bobber. You will probably end up with a lot of muds but occasionally youll end up with a monster channell cat. I generally always have pretty good action like this. But like TD says it can be hit and miss. GOOD LUCK[Wink]
[signature]
[Smile]Hey Jed, Lincoln beach is a very big place, lots of drops and rocks, jig eating rocks. It's for sure not the place to learn to jig unless you have a ton of jigs. I don't think there is a best way to jig, just let the fish tell you. try first with a fast moving bottom hopping action if nothing then slow down even to a slow crawl. try hopping it along with small to bigger hops. sometimes just let the jig set on the bottom and tighten up your line and shake your pole tip, (oops) one of my walleye secrets.
As for worm harness, I troll them on a 2 oz. bottom bouncer weight at .8 to 1.5 mph. some times heavier or lighter. always keep in touch with the bottom but not dragging.
hope this helps, later chuck
[signature]
I've never been to Lincoln Beach, but would love to go out there and try it sometime. I also like using worms for catfish bait, because I like catching even the bullheads and carp ( I release them all) too. Of course I'd rather catch channels, but at least it keeps me busy if they're not biting (or not around). That's another reason I like to use a T-swivel and put two baits on my pole... one with a worm and the other with carp or white bass meat. Then you can attract big channels, but still enjoy catching a large number of fish.
[signature]