Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bottom bouncers
anyone have any tips on using bottom bouncers how deep of water are you running them in or does it even matter? how do you know when you are working the bottom right
[signature]
At least 75 % of all fishermen fish bouncers wrong. If you are expecting to drop it down and stick the rod in a holder, you will be fishing it wrong. And most folks run them way too far back. Bottom bouncers are meant to be lift drop lift drop lift drop. Just touching bottom for a few seconds and then a slight lift and drop.I run 3 ounce bouncers as deep as thirty feet and as shallow as five feet. We drift them from out deep to as shallow as we dare run the boat. And in big waves, I have caught big Walleye in to five feet or less.
If the bottom stays the same depth for a long way, you could let it out and not lift drop so much, but, then you really dont need a bottom bouncer.
Bottom bouncers are a real good and effective tool if used properly, but most times, there is another option that works as well.
[signature]
thanks so you pretty much use a bottom bouncer for drift fishin rather than trolling?
[signature]
I don't go as heavy as Walleyebob, but use pretty much the same method he does, lift /drop. You can feel the bottom with the wire. Speed is critical, so to maintain contact at higher speed, you need more weight, deeper water, more weight. By adjusting the position of the weight on the wire, you get different effects also. I make my own bouncers by using .041 Stainless wire, about 18-24 inches long, with bullet weights held on by running a rubber band through the whole, then sliding the weight onto the wire. You can put a bend in the wire, but I have been using a straight wire now for several years and find them just fine, just form a loop on one end. The bullet weights allow you to adjust the weight by having a variety of weights on board. 2-1oz weights = 2oz bouncer, etc.

You can also get the same effect using a 3way rig and bass casting sinkers or walking sinkers.
[indent]One thing I like to do with my bouncers is not actually drag the bottom. I will send it screamin down, let it hit, set the reel, in a few second send it down again, then reel about 4 inches off the bottom. I noticed with the braid that i run I can actualy hear the bouncer whackin rocks and such through the line and rod, which means the fish can hear me to. So I like it just right off the bottom. But that also means constant adjustment and watching your depth like a hawk. I also suggest not using the L shape bouncers. Get straight pencil bouncers and use a sinker slide. That way if you get a real finicky walleye that just wants to tug on the very end of your crawler, you can stop the bait and "feed" the fish without having the added weight of the bouncer. I use wire lengthes of anywhere from 18" to 36" on my bouncers. The real long ones are for a steep shore line in the rocks, keeps from hangin up as much.
[/indent]
[signature]
Now that sounds like one of the old man's little secreats.[Wink]
[signature]
A couple yes a couple no. He used to chew my butt for not keeping contact with the bottom. But, my bouncers are 99% his design with a couple of tweaks for my liking[Smile]. Ya ought to see my double "walking" bouncer for heavy weeds and rocks, that one is all mine[cool].
[signature]