Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wrist watch fish finder?
I was at sportsmans warehouse today and I saw the coolest fish finder. It's made by hummingbird (I can't remember the model) and it's wireless. The display is incorporated into a "wrist watch" style meaning you wear it on your wrist, it's obviously small but It looks like a good item for float tubers.

I can imagine some inherent problems with the item similiar to other wireless devices especially if it's new tech. Wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this model and what you think about it. The price was $109 which is comprable to some "full size" models.

Al
[signature]
[cool]Hey Hustler, we had a discussion on that bad boy a ways back. I think the general consensus of opinion was that it is a nice novelty...but is probably better at catching fishermen than helping fishermen to catch more fish.

First problem is the size of the display. It is better to have a large, easily seen screen than to have to squint to distinguish the small display on a watch-sized unit. Secondly, with a remote transducer, you run the risk of losing or breaking half your system, and making the whole investment a bad deal. Third, most experienced sonar fans are not real high on the Humminbird line. They are okay, but not as good, by comparison, to other models.

I haven't heard any actual reports from any tubers who have used one. I suspect that most of us are a bit more cautious about dumping over a hundred dollars on something so obviously frivolous. You can get a very serviceable sonar system, for float tubing, for about the same money.

On a personal note, I can think of several other places I could put the money before I would invest in one of those toys. Cute, though. Here's a pic of the beast...only $86 at Wally World. It is called the "SmartCast"

[url "javascript:photo_opener('http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/08/23/24/02/0008232402615_500X500.jpg')"][Image: 0008232402615_215X215.jpg][/url]
[signature]
tubedude makes some points and besides last time i was at sportmens they had a full size eagle unit for about 60 bucks almost half the price

chris
[signature]

Hi there TubeDude,

I wonder how long the smartcast transducer would last if you put little froggie legs on it and fished where muskies lurk. Talk about a real fish finder! Wow!

JapanRon
[signature]
Okay, call me gullible or wastefull....but I did buy one of these items. I saw it when it first came out on the back pages of the Cabella's Catalog. I didnt think of it as a serious fish finder but thought that there would be a few times it would come in handy....and it has.

I've used it with my tube several times and from shore with the kids quite a bit. It has helped me identify structure, depth, etc. and I have been able to find fish with it. It is a lot of fun and a nifty little gadget.

I have had only one problem with it.....if you retrieve it too fast or if the water is rough....once the top of the unit is under water in a wake or wave, you will loose the signal. You just have to bring it in slower so that the anteanna stays above the water.

I have not been disapointed with it and have had a lot of fun with it. BUT, like I said, I bought it knowing that it was just a gadget, a toy, something to play around with and I didnt have great expectations for it.

It has been a lot of fun.

Rob
[signature]
[cool]Hey, thanks for the report, Rob. I hope you get your money's worth in amusement value. I have always said that any kind of underwater eyes are better than none. I know I would certainly hate to have to function without sonar any more.

All systems have their strengths and weaknesses. This little item does what is it supposed to do, and will likely be used and appreciated by a lot of "casual" anglers...with more money than discrimination. We tend to buy whatever we want, as long as we want it more than the money it costs.

Most fishermen who spend some time in experimentation and research would dismiss the subject system as being too complex without providing the performance they are looking for. Your assessment of it being a novelty is pretty much on target.

I would be lying if I told you that I have never spent good money on bad gear. Like most of us fishing freaks, I am always looking for the better ways and the shortcuts...or the miracle lures that will clean out the lake, etc. That is the quirk relied upon by a lot of gimmick manufacturers and infomercial marketing firms...to catch fishermen if not fish.

Sure is fun though, ain't it?
[signature]
[cool] That little device looks kinda nice. It even look kinda like my Panther Martin Frogs I use for LMBs. I'd sure hope the fish can tell the difference and not eat the little gizmo by mistake. Good luck with it. By the way, is that little thing weedless?
[signature]
Its totally weedless, no hooks, just real smoothe...nothing to catch on. However the way it was built there is a small hole on the bottom that the instructions indicate you can use to attach bait, etc to. I could see someone hanging a worm under it. But I've never tried that. I just use it to see what is out there when fishing from shore or to see other places I cant really get to with the boat or tube. It's a lot better than nothing.

So far, I've never had a fish "hit" the unit. I think that if one did it would pop out of its mouth real easy though.
[signature]
[cool] Hey rgreenland,

thanks for the feedback and insight. Just like TubeDude said some eyes can be better than no eyes at all. Have a good one.
[signature]
I have used this and it works. it uses the same technology the Navy uses to locate submarines. Planes fly over head and drop these remote sensors that ping sonar until it hit's something and sends it back then it is relayed via satellite.

This technology is set-up to be on your line to see what is directley below your line. It is perfect for tubers and people fishing off the shore or piers.

I actually use two sensors. One on my line and one connected directly below my pontoon. It is not a 100% because the signal is sent our like a radio and is subject to interference but in short distances it works good.

I would try it and make your own determination. I have seen these large fish finders on tubes and they are bulky and a pain, this is not.

I saw a guy over at Anaheim Bay drop his in the water because it was not mounted correctley, he lost $300 that day [Sad]

Joe C
[signature]