Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
finally broke down and bought a float tube
I broke down and bought a float tube about an hour ago. I picked up a stearns denali u style tube for 65 bucks. It looked like an awfully good deal so I grabbed it. I picked it up at garts. Is anyone familiar with these tubes and if i could find any better deal. I am looking for one for my wife as well.

jed

p.s. anybody have any suggestions on must haves as far as accessories go. I already have a couple of wet suits and bottoms and fins.
[signature]
off the top of my head your first must have is a fish on the end of your line but really if i had wetsuits and such all ready i'd invest in a fish finder you can get them at sportmens starting at about 60.00 i just got a tube about a month ago if you want to go fishing some time just let me know though i'm kinda tied up the next couple of weeks

chris
[signature]
I will have to take you up on that. Do you know if there is anywhere I could pick up a cheep fishfinder like a used one or such. I had to talk pretty fast to get my wife to let me get the float tube.

jed
[signature]
A net is nice to get the bigger fish . I like the wooden ones because they float but sometimes I end up stepping on it when getting out of water . Need to get a new one because my net is broke bad this time . Fins are a good thing . A fish basket is good if you plan on keeping fish . Check out Float tube forum . There is lots of good info there .

[Image: LOOM5874CustomImage0539062.jpg]
[signature]
the lowest priced fishfinders i have seen have been at sportmans they have a eagle model starting at about 60.00 you could also try galyans in downtown salt lake at the gateway the have a low price guarantee

chris
[signature]
Hey chris,

let me know when your ganna go float if I can I'll come along. It's been a while.
[signature]
Jed... get waders if you don't have them, this way you don't have to worry about the itch and can float in colder water. Don't forget to check out the float tubers forum you can get alot of ideas. PM tubedude and he'll give you info on a ton of accessories available. If you wan't to carry a variety of lures get some of those small plastic lure cases by plano. Thier on sale for 1.88 right now and are small enough to fit in the tubes pockets comfortably, I got 4. A landing net would be a good idea and don't forget a pair of pliers and a sharp knife. It can be tuff getting those hooks out especially on a tube.
[signature]
Hey Jed, Congregations on the purchase of the float tube. I have been float tubeing for about 2 years now and I'm ready for to up grade to a yak. Kayote took me out with his yaks this spring and they are a blast. You can jig from them, troll, cast and get to those places that you couldn't get to with a boat or tube(too far of a trip). I would first get a net, like hellsangler mentioned and then a fish finder.
If you need any more info on tubes get a hold of Tube Dude, because when it comes to tubes and accessories he is the Man.
If you want to go tubeing just let me know.
[Wink]Tincanfsh
[signature]
I'm new to float tubin too, and had thought of something to keep fish better other than a stringer, but I never thought of a fish basket? I was thinking of and this might sound dumb but floating a bicycle tire with a net on it to keep the fish and just dragging it with me. I said it sounded dumb, but whatever...
[signature]
Hey, FFM, the idea with the bicycle tube ain't bad. But, I might suggest using those "noodles" the kids use in swimming pools. They are more rigid and have a lot of flotation. Here's a pic of how I have my fish basket rigged with those things.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2429687.jpg]

The guys who fish the salt, in California, use mesh "ball bags" or laundry bags, and put the rigid foam around the top. A fine mesh works better for them, because they often carry live bait in them.

Whatever floats your fish.
[signature]
I really thought it was a crazy idea, and I thought about one of those noodles, but I had a small bicycle tire and a knit laundry bag and was just waiting for the opportunity to give it a try. I was just hoping I wouldn't get laughed at too much. I like the noodle better. Looks like good setup.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, my float tubing friend. If you are worried about a little laughter, you ain't cut out for float tubin'. We gotta swallow our pride if we wanna be true to our sport.

It all starts with getting launched. The first time most of us try to crawl in our craft it would be the grand prize winner on a funny videos program. Then, we paddle around like a duck stuck in reverse, while being used as racing pylons and slalam courses by the water skiers and PWC. At the end of a fatigueing excursion, we look real spastic as we try to carry everything back to our car on wobbly legs. This is even worse if we have sprung a leak in our waders and one leg is full of water...looking like we have elephantiasis or something.

Just remember, he who laughs last laughs best. (or didn't get the joke). I have silenced a lot of snickers over the years once I got launched and started bringing in fish...while the chuckling boaters and "bank tanglers" kept fishing with a straight stick and slack line.

And, if you have a good sense of humor, why not provide a little laughter for others? And, if you can learn to take a bit of ridicule, it builds character. But then, most of us are big enough characters already. Hey...I resemble that remark.

On the noodle thing...You can either run some rope around through the hole in the center and tie it off to form a ring...or use some old tubing. Rope is lighter, and it don't have to be perfectly round. Remember, we are not concerned about what others think...just that it works.

If you use a mesh bag, you will notice that the fish are restricted in their movements. They can't swim as they can in a rigid basket. A light plastic hoop in the middle or the bottom will open it up and help keep the fish alive better.

Play with that idea and post a pic if you come up with a winner.
[signature]
Hi Jed, For 60 bucks for a new one thats pretty cheap. It wont have all the whistles and bells, but it will mark fish and show structure. The rest is learning how to read the dang thing. then you have have to plunk down another 20 for the battery. I dont use mine all the time now, but I do use it wherre I think it is needed. Some waters I know better than others if that helps out, besides that battery gets heavy packing it around LOL
[signature]
I got one just like TubeDude . I had a old basket laying around and went to walmart and found the foam noodles there . I think you can find them for under 2$ a noodle . Sportsman Whse has one with a built in floating lid and a bigger basket . Mine is kinda small but good for perch .

[Image: LOOM5874CustomImage0563304.jpg]

Also notice I got 2 ABS tubes attached on the side of my tube for holding fishing buddy finder and one for the fish pole . They come in handy .
[signature]
Thanks TD, I'm never too proud to give a good laugh at myself, If somefinds it funny I usually find it even funnier. I've laughed myself to tears many time sometimes when that is nobody around because of some dumb thing I've done. Like the first time UncleRay and I set out in our tubes at Pineview a couple months ago, I sprung a leak in my waders probably from laughing so much, it was that funny.

As soon as I get something worked out for the fish basket I'll post a picture.
[signature]
I would love to go tubing. I need all the hands on I can get. Boy I think my legs are going to get tough. I went out to starvation yesterday and kicked my way all around the lake until my legs were like rubber. I actually went back and bought a float tube for my wife too so I can get her addicted too so she won't object so much to the "extras". well I had better get back to work,

Jed Burton
[signature]