Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Slow Day at Saleratus Wash
A friend of mine who had never caught a walleye at Starvation, and I decided to try our luck fishing there. We arrived at the State Park later than I usually do at Starvation because Theo didn't want to get up as early as I generally do . There were lots of boat trailers in the boat launch parking area, but hardly any boats on the water. We boated to Knight Hollow and Saleratus Wash. We saw only about two or three boats while we fished in the area. No one seemed to be catching anything. We talked to one fisherman there and he reported that he had caught two walleye earlier in the morning on crankbaits. However, there didn't seem to be any perch caught by anyone.

We bottom-bounced crawler rigs, and I threw some jigs. Eventually I caught one walleye on a crawler rig and another one on a jig. As we traveled back to the boat ramp I picked up a fat trout on a jig I was using to catch perch or walleye. Right after that I caught another trout just like the first one on a bottom bouncer. I put on a small perch-colored Rapala and caught another trout of similar size. Theo's luck was bad. He had some bites, but was unable to hook anything.

When we got back to the fishing cleaning station we saw three fisherman with "grundles" of perch that they had caught at Rabbit Gulch. We had wished that we had gone there. While I was cleaning some fish one of these fishermen dropped his filet knife into the fish disposal area while it was running. Metal flew everywhere and the disposal machine was "toast."

The weather was beautiful all while we were there. A nice overcast, breezy day!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Lloyd, I sure hope you didn't try to release that walleye after holding it in the gills. (Ha!)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2 walleyes are better than skunk. Too bad your fishing buddy couldn't score his first wallies. They don't always treat people very nicely.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Lloyd,
I was one of the three guys at the cleaning station when you came over. It was my brother who dropped my 20 year old Rapala fillet knife into the grinder. It happened when he got stuck by a dorsal fin and cut himself. The park personnel said the cleaning station would be back online Wednesday morning when the maintenance crew came back to work. We did get a nice bunch of perch at Bunny Gulch, but we couldn't connect with the walleye. We did talk to a guy who had 7 or 8 walleye he got on jigs in the vicinity of the dam in about 25-27 feet of water. I might give that area a try on my next visit. It was good to meet you. That rainbow you got was sure a fatty and had very red flesh. I'll bet it would have been a great fish to smoke.
Mike
[signature]
I am glad to hear that the cleaning station will be okay, but I am sorry about your knife.

I saw some fishermen by the dam. Evidently, they were having great success.

It was good to meet you and hear about your great success with the perch. I notice on your BFT page that your favorite place to fish is Lake Powell. It is my favorite as well.

Thanks for the information about the walleye fishing near the dam.
[signature]