Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wader & tube
Hi All,

Plan on giving up my hip boots for a wader and tube. Was looking at the Simms G3 wader. Wow! Is the price of $425.00 really worh all that extra money?? And where would be the best site to post a question of this nature??

Dryrod[cool]
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Dryrod, good to have you drop in. By the way, how about a bit more info on the type of fishing you will be doing, and in what part of the country. We can make some more specific recommendations if we know what you are up to.

About the Simms waders. They have the reputation of being about the best on the market for durability and non-leakiness. After that, it's a matter of what your budget can stand. As Taipan pointed out, you can buy serviceable waders for a lot less. But if you are going to be using them a lot, you will probably have to repair and replace them enough that you might wish you had spent more to begin with.

For anyone who wants to visit the Simms website,here is a link:

[url "http://www.simmsfishing.com/"]http://www.simmsfishing.com/[/url]

The G3 are their top of the line. The regular guideweight is the one most recommended by those who have used them. However, the regular lightweight waders at $199, are still good value...with Goretex and all that.

The lightweights are best for only having one pair of waders, fishing year round. Neoprenes require more care, but are better for fishing very cold water, in the northern climates.

If you are serious about this stuff, my advice is to settle on what you want and then go shopping on line. It is amazing how often you can find super bargains...not only on sites like ebay...but just through tackle dealers that sell and drop ship via the internet. Don't forget to check some of our sponsors...and some of the banners on BFT.

The one big issue with buying waders on line is that you can't try them on, with all of the clothes and socks you will be wearing on the coldest day of fishing. If you can find an outlet that has what you are looking for, before you buy, take in all of your stuff to put on and then try them on to find the right size. That can help prevent some foot constriction or ripped seams later.

Come on back when you have narrowed your search and we can discuss it again. And, what about fins? There are some good threads on those too, if you will go back through some of the previous pages.
[signature]
[cool][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Hi TubeDude,[/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Thanks for your response. Initially I plan to fish for trout in the Southern CA lakes. Time permitting would like to get up to the Sierras this winter. Also looking at some float tubes. Did try on the G3 at Bob Marriott. Did find good pricing at Riverwire.com located in Oregon. Then don’t charge for shipping or sales tax. A savings of around $33. Have yet to explore the various options re: Fins. What do you suggest? Also not sure as to whether or not if I will add boots to my laundry list. Sure is a lot of items to consider. Thanks for your input. This is a great site for the fisherman.[/font][/size]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Dryrod[/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool]Yo, Dryrod. Riverwire is a good source. That's where I bought my Outcast Super Fat Cat a few months ago. As you noticed, they do not charge for shipping...and I got it within a week or ordering.

I used to live in Orange County and fished Irvine and the Santa Ana River Lakes. That was before Laguna Niguel went in. I hear it is good tubin' water. There are lots of good tubing lakes around San Diego too. And, if you get crazy enough, you can go to the coast and launch in the Salt with some of our members in the Long Beach area.

If you can get away to Crowley or some of the other lakes on the eastern slope of the Sierras, in the fall, you can really get some great fishing, without all the crowds of summer. Be sure to take your thermies though.

If you go a few pages back (numbers at the bottom of the main page), you will find reviews of several different kinds of fins...from Force Fins to the newest pair of Plana Avanti's I recectly bought. Here is a link to that thread.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=48305;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=48305;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread[/url]

As far as boots go, you should have something with a hard sole between the waders and your fins. This is necessary when you are walking around in the parking lot, or when you come in and take off your fins. It is especially needed when you walk any distance at all between your vehicle and where you launch. I use the neoprene "flats boots"...diving booties with a zip up side...large enough to get over my wader feet. You can also use those cheap "reef walkers" or even oversized deck shoes or tennies.

A lot of what you will be doing a year from now will be the result of your own trial and error...and a lot of input from folks on the forum here who have all been through rookie class.

If you would like, send me an email or a Private Message through BFT and I can send you some writeups and/or chapters from my book that will help you upload a lot of info it would take you much longer to learn on your own. My email is [url "mailto:pscouten@qwest.net"]pscouten@qwest.net[/url] . If you want to send a "PM" to any of the other members, just click on their BFT name and logo to bring up their personal profile box. At the bottom is the "PRIVATE MESSAGE" button. Click on that and a screen will come up for you to send a private message. When you get a response, it will not only come up on your email screen, but you can see it at the top of all threads. It will have Private Message in red.

Ain't this fun?
[signature]
Hi Dryrod and everyone,

I'm a new comer to float tubing just like you and I recently just completed my purchases for float tubing. It's quite an experience.

This is a great forum for float tubing and I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now... reading all the valuable information here from everyone, and especially from TubeDude.

I've finally bite the bullet and registered myself in BFT because I felt now I actually have some experiences to offer.

I went through extensive research regarding all the necessary equipment for float tubing. I am a proud owner of a Super Fat Cat! It's an awesome float tube with tons of storage space.

I scoured the net for information on waders. After reading so many comments I realized most waders would leak after some usage. But I also took notice of one thing...everyone attested to Simms' durability and functionality. There was even an article by a magazine (American Flyfishermen I think)that compared and rated waders from many manufacturers and Simms came out on top, followed by the Patagonia SST+. By comparision, Gortex is still the most breathable, durable and waterproof compared to all other breathable laminates or coatings. My friend has been fly fishing and float tubing in his Simms Classical Guide waders for 10 years now--never leaked. That is exceptional consider many waders leaked after a couple of seasons. I was initially balked by Simms high prices but I realized they are worth it in the long run. I don't need a pair of cheaper waders that leaks in the middle of a fishing trip in freezing Sierra water. If you don't want to pay the top dollars for a G3, take TuberDude's suggestion for the Classical Guide. They are much cheaper at $330 but are very well constructed and durable. It just doesn't have some of G3's features such as gravel guard, belt loop, elaborate chest pocket, next generation 5-layer Gortex laminate fabric all the way up to the seat. The Classical Guide was Simms' premium top of the line waders before the G3 came out and will more than suffice for float tubing. If you spring for Simms you will not regret it. The Simms Gortex Lightweight waders are much lighter in construction compared to the Classical Guide or G3. I think it's more suitable if you fish 10-15 times a year. I may be wrong, but I think the Lightweight and Freestone model only carries a 2-year warranty whereas G3 and Classical Guide are warranted for life.

You will not be able to find any discount for Simms waders, believe me, I've tried. I called a lot of people and they flat out turned me down. Simms would yank their supply to any dealers that discount their waders. So your best bet is to buy online or mail order out of state for tax free purchase. If shipping is free then it's icing on the cake.

One last thing about chest waders for float tubing, get lengths that are much longer than your pants inseam. You need a lot of extra length for float tubing or you'll generate a lot of pull on the seams which can cause premature failure. I wear 30" inseam pants and the 34" inseam on my G3 waders is barely enough. You need to be generous and give extra room for thick socks or thermal that you may be wearing. Even in warm weather you will need at least a thin pair of long synthethic underwear for wicking sweat and to let the breathable Gortex work properly.

As for fins, I got Force Fins because many have said it's the best. But there are people out there with a different opinion and favor the scuba fins. I do like the softer flex of Force Fins which allow for easier kicking and put less stress on shins and calves. It won't propel as strongly as scuba fins but I think the analogy here is aerobics to weight lifting--aerobics is less strength and power but you can go on much longer. I haven't tried many fins so I can't tell you for sure. But I can offer you this if you elect to go with Force Fins, choose the original foot pocket model over the new adjustable model that is specifically designed for float tubing. The adjustable model has open instep that is covered by a piece of foam and is buckled shut. It's one size fits all. Both have the same flex and power but the adjustable is beefier on the bottom and therefore heavier to compensate for rigidity lost for having an open instep design. It's advantage is that it's one size fits all and is suitable for wearing over wading boots. On the other hand, the adjustable is sized very large and will be loose on medium to small feet if shoes are not worn. I have 8.5 foot and the adjustable was still loose while wearing 5mm neoprene stocking foot and another pair of neoprene socks on top of the wader sock. Oh, I also worn thick hiking socks. I kicked with the original and the adjustable side by side with one on each foot. The original felt better with it's lighter weight and felt more streamlined without the extra buckle strap on the instep which is really clumsy. With the original you do need to get the right sizing. Try on with your waders and socks.

Well good luck and have lots of fun getting your gear, I know it was for me. Get your basic gear so you can be out on the water. But the shopping spree doesn't stop there... you will be thinking about rod holders, pfd, anchors, fish finders, etc., etc. Come back to this great forum and its memebers and you will find a wealth of information on just about everything!
[signature]
Wow... soo much info. Welcome to the board. in one post you manage to say more than I have posted all this time. Then again I just read and absorb...LOL. I think I have the force fins you talk about. The ones with the big adjustable strap on to... I just put on a pair of old shoes and I am good to go. My buddies have the old ones. The one you slide into and cinch the heel straps. I kinda like mine better.. the buckle allows me to take the fins off quickly cause the surf zone is no place to be fumbling around trying to take fins off... Believe me I tried....
[signature]
[cool][font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]Hey Ahimanic,[/size][/font]

[font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]Welcome aboard. Like I have been on this site forever. Not! Looks like you are trying to compete with TubeDude in the literary department. Nice write up. What you have said makes a lot of sense to me.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]Where do plan on fishing and for what? Good luck.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]What color did you decide on? See attached[/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool]Howdy and welcome. Looks like I have some competition in the verbosiity department.

Appreciate all of your observations and insights. You have "lurked" well, and have evidently done your homework.

Would you care to enlighten us a bit on your primary fishing zone, and the species and tackle you prefer?

Don't hesitate to both toss out helpful suggestions or to ask questions. Our philosophy here is that the only dumb question is one you don't ask...especially if it costs you time, money, comfort or safety. Just don't ask the same question more than three times within one week.

Again, welcome aboard. Let's have some fun.
[signature]
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I may be able to compete in terms of volume of words with TubeDude but no way in experience and knowledge. I am just excited to share all the valuable knowledge and benefits I've acquired reading this forum and others sources in my quest to become familiar with float tubing. It was quite time consuming to find and do the right things so I would be happy if others can avoid spending unnecessary time and money in finding their way.

Halibut, my feet are not that big so the adjustables were loose on me. I had to cinch the top buckles almost all the way and they still wobbled. I do think the adjustables are a little more comfortable on the insteps since they have the built-in comfort paddings. I like my feet to be as light as possible so I wore an additional pair of neoprene socks on top of my wader foot for better fit and to protect my wader foot. It also protects the waders when I walk from my car to the launching area. My friend suggested this and he is still on his first pair of neoprene socks after 10 years.

Dryrod, I've already purchased the yellow Super Fat Cat. Since I'm a newbie I am inherently nervous and wanted to be very visible to boater or rescuers [blush] I would've gone for the red one but I think that color is discontinued for Super Fat Cat. I'm not a good swimmer so I also got an inflatable Sospender life vest.

TubeDude, I live in Southern California and I fish both fresh and salt. I usually visit Mammoth lakes for trouts a few times each summer and I'll hop on party boats to fish for tuna (Ahimanic [Wink]) so my tackles range from superlight to heavy 2-speed standup gear. I wanted to get into float tubing to increase my fishing time. It's much easier to jump in my car with a float tube and go fish a lake or harbor at a moment's notice rather than booking reservations with a party boat. Try booking an albacore trip in Southern Cal right now! I also want float tubing to help me become proficient in fishing artificial baits and become a better fisherman. I've fished primarily live bait or Powerbait thus far. Casting lures from shores just aren't that productive.

So far I've made two trips out to fish the harbor by Balboa Island in Newport Bay using swim baits to target spotted bay bass. The first trip I was skunked because my setup was too heavy and I spent a lot of time fighting and turning my float tube instead of fishing. I felt much more at ease on my second trip with a float tube last weekend, got a light bass setup fishing 8# and got my first float tube fish!

I will be taking the tube to Mammoth next month and try my luck in the lakes and I'll try to keep my future posting short!
[cool]Aha. Ahi. Yellowfin. You my kinda guy. I have done the hand to fin combat thing on the long rangers. I'm a big boy, but those big mamas can put a hurtin' on you with standup gear.

I also spend a lot of time in Newport Bay. I lived in Garden Grove and fished mostly the Orange County coastline. Worked on the boats out of Davey's locker and Balboa. Spent many hours drifting and casting for those wily bay bass, sand bass and halibuts back there. Also got more than a few short WSB, and lots of sharks and rays at night. Got into some big corbina and spotfin along the sandy areas near the Corona Del Mar Jetty...right where it ends at the rocks. I once put on a show for John Wayne and his family, fishing right off their back yard on the bay. Tossed him a couple of nice bass to put on the grill.

If you are just getting into the jig fishing end of things, shoot me an email if you are interested in some light reading on Jig Fishing. I put together about 50 pages, for a friend, and have shared it with quite a few folks who are looking for some assistance. I put some emphasis on the float tubing part.

I also have some chapters of my (yet unpublished) book on float tubing that I could send over piecemeal, if you are masochistic enough to suffer through them. You seem to be a student of technique, as I have always considered myself to be, so there are likely to be a few goodies therein to help you shorten the rampup cycle.

How far afield do you plan to roam with your new toys? We have folks on the forum here that can probably provide some insight and suggestions for just about anywhere. I live in Phoenix, and I have my sights set on a fall trip to the Salton Sea. Maybe we can get a CalZona flotilla set up for over there sometime.

Are we having fun yet?
[signature]
Ahimanic,

I reside in Long Beach and am just starting to get back into float tubbing. If you don't mind company in the Ole shark donut, my friends and I would not mind more company on the water (it gives me better odds...) LOL. Right now I am searching for halibuts and what ever else I can scrounge up in the LB area. Probably head out this weekend if you are interested. Oh yeah! there is also a night time trip for bass coming up as well. TD.. won't you come teach? [Wink][sly]

Halibut
[signature]
TD, you are not the moderator of this great board for nothing! How can I turn down such generous offer on valuable knowledge. You got mail!

You sure have spent time in the sportfishing community in SoCal and fished the heck out of everywhere. I am sure trying to follow your foot steps and I want to target all those species that you've fished for in the past.

Your knowledge on jig fishing would definitely help as I am fairly new to the technigue. Fishing has such vast boundaries and I definitely need to expand my learning in jig fishing. I think I've came across your chapters in float tubing but please do send them as well for I may have missed some. My AOL account can accomodate large files. I've received files over 10 mb in the past!

I am starting out close to the neighborhood, I live in the Rowland Heights/Diamond Bar area which is not too far from the beaches. Newport is actually fairly convenient for me to get to compared to Long Beach or Redondo because I can just shoot down the 57 fwy. As I've mentioned before, I will be float tubing the Mammoth Lakes in September. Salton Sea is not that close but not too far either, I would definitely be interested in joining you and the members in a CalZona Flotilla. Let me know!
[signature]
Halibut,

What a great bunch of guys, first day of posting on this forum and I am getting all sorts of fishing articles and invitation to go fishing!

I am planning to go fishing this Saturday. I was going back to Balboa Island where I am familiar but I am interested in Long Beach too and would love the chance to explore new areas. A lot of people float out there.

I am not familiar with the bay, where do you launch and fish? Are you fishing the bay or are you going out to the open waters? Are you fishing docks/covers or more open areas? I don't think I'm ready to go past the breakwater yet.

Wait a minute! My float tube is yellow, a much more noticeable target for the sharks! No wonder you want me to come along [shocked]

Ahimanic
[signature]
Dryrod,

I found the links to the waders comparision articles I spoke of earlier. Information like these are rare. Most reviews I found would never say anything negative but these are pretty candid, especially the second one.

[url "http://www.flyfishamerica.com/BuyersGuides/2003/BreathableWaders.pdf"]http://www.flyfishamerica.com/BuyersGuides/2003/BreathableWaders.pdf[/url]

[url "http://www.flyfishamerica.com/ArticlesReports/GeneralArticles/FFAStaff/Waders.html"]http://www.flyfishamerica.com/ArticlesReports/GeneralArticles/FFAStaff/Waders.html[/url]

Float tubing is apparently very popular in the Vancouver BC area and there are lot of users out there giving lots of opinions on float tubing gear. You can do a search on what you're looking for.

[url "http://www.bcadventure.com/cgi-bin/board/forumdisplay.cgi?"]http://www.bcadventure.com/cgi-bin/board/forumdisplay.cgi?[/url]

A couple of more posts and I can be rid of my "green horn" status [laugh]

action=topics&number=2
[signature]
[cool]Hey Ahimanic,

I went to both of the sites that you posted. Excellant info. Just confirms that you get what you pay for!

My quote of the day -If they are not on top, bottom or in the middle - look in the frozen food section.[sly]
[signature]
[Wink]Not to worry Ahi... my float is yellow as well. I don't want to be the only choice out there!!! Having choices is good. There are bays up here...but I plan to launch from the beach to open waters. Bays are good but I do not like fighting the out/incoming current. sometimes too fast and I have to work really hard to stay over one spot to fish. When ever you want to head up this way... let me know. There are some places i would like to try down there as well. If you go on baytubers.com, there are guys that live down the newport area that you could hook up and fish with. If you change your mind.. come on up.. I know there are guys floating Sat and Sunday at Cherry beach.

Halibut
[signature]
Halibut,

I've only been out twice so I don't think I'm ready for a beach launch yet. I've heard it can be tough to launch in the surf and can be treacherous...turning over, getting dunked, losing your gears [unsure]

Are you saying that the current is not as strong as in the bay when you are out in the open ocean? I'm have this fear that once I'm out in the open ocean the current will take me all the way to Catalina! How far out do you go and how long does it take to get back in? Is it better to float in a wet suit than waders out in the open ocean?

In the bay I cast to the boat docks with plastics targeting spotties, how do you fish in open ocean? I'm not up to speed with having a live well yet.

Newport Bay is nice, great scenery with all those nice homes and yachts. No one minds when you cast into the private docks. An added bonus are the hot babes that jog along the shores and bikini clad women on cruising yachts. Plenty of eye candy. These women find float tubes very amusing and it's easy to strike up conversations with them.

You sure are right about the current in the bay...the first time I went out of Balboa Island I went pretty close to the breakwater and then realized I had to leave for an engagement. I found out real quick that I move slower than at walking pace in wind and current. I kicked for a straight 30 minutes to get back. What an aerobic workout and my friend wasn't too thrilled about the quart of sweat I left in his neoprene waders that I borrowed! Good thing I'm a cyclist so the continuos kicking didn't kill me.

I've visisted Baytubers.com, fishing the big salty is a whole different culture. I've got much rigging to do.

Give me another month or two to build up my confidence and I would love to join you.

Ahimanic
[cool]After all the words you spent on extolling the "SCENERY" at Newport Bay, I suspect that your hesitancy to go to Long Beach is purely selfish. I have fished both, and I assure you that there is plenty to look at in all the beach areas.

I'm sure that Halibut will fill you in, but the areas around Belmont Shore and Cherry Beach are well protected from heavy surf by the outside breakwater. Only in strong south swell conditions will you have to cope with anything more than a minor shore ripple or two. But, it pays to keep your antenna up at all times for any changes in wind or current. Pay attention to the tide tables and do not exceed your personal limits.

The fishing in Los Alamitos and other boating channels is much like Newport. Lots of docks and pilings to attract fish. Probably better fishing for small halibut in the Long Beach area than in Newport. There are some big ones available for the experienced and the lucky.

I recommend you plan to attend one of the Baytubers functions. A good chance to look at some different rigs and to fish with experienced fellow float tubers. You can learn more in one trip than you could learn by yourself over many trips...if ever.

And, you never need to fear being ridiculed. All of us had to endure our rites of passage. So, you may be the subject of some good natured ribbing, but there is no nasty stuff. Heck, we are all in this to have fun...not to make other people feel badly.

You will find that once the novelty wears off, it is only fishing. You choose your lures, make your casts and retrieves and keep experimenting to find what the fish want. Then just enjoy the experience and learn whatever you can to help in the future...and to pass on to the new crop of rookies.
[signature]
[size 1]<After all the words you spent on extolling the "SCENERY" at Newport Bay, I suspect that your hesitancy to go to Long Beach is purely selfish.>[/size]

[size 1]Ha ha ha! You found me out [sly][/size]

[size 1]<I have fished both, and I assure you that there is plenty to look at in all the beach areas. >[/size]

[size 1]Since you put it that way now I have no excuses not to go. It's always a good policy to explore new fertile grounds.[/size]

[size 1]You are absolutely correct when you said a person can learn a lot more with another experieced angler than by himself. I was fumbling around the first time out as my friend kinda drifted from me as I was jig fishing the docks while he fly fished in more open areas. Another acquaintance showed up later and fished the docks next to me and he helped me a great deal with just a few tips.[/size]

I definitely need to hook up with the SoCal members and the Baytubers.

Ahimanic