Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek advice...
Planning on heading up to deer creek res tomorrow for smallies and bucket mouths. I have never been there before let alone fished it. Has anyone been catching bass and/or offer advice on where to fish and what bait's work best. Any strategies I should employ? What other species of fish can I find there and is the fishing good? I'll be float tubing it if I go.

Thank's,

Al
[signature]
Hello, Hello, is there anyone out there? I need some info as well. Thought id bring it back to the top to see if anyone has any insight on productive areas and lures or baits? Will fish from shore or tube. Dont care what species either.
[signature]
You guys should have no problems catching smallmouth at Deer creek as with most lakes that have smallmouth look for points with rocks and structure. Last week we were fishing for walleye but we were catching smallmouth with the same gear. We were using orange jig heads with either worms or a twister tail in either brown or a smoke but white or green will also work. As for the area you could launch your tube anywhere that looks good but the island boat ramp can be good and try fishing on the west or north side of the island(it's not an island this year), good luck and slay a few for me. Oh yea, watch out for those water skiers and jet skiers. WH2
[signature]
I will be bringing my sling shot for the ignorant water motorists.[cool][sly][laugh] Thanks for the info, Havent been out there in a few years.
[signature]
Where is the island? Is that the one along the east side about mid lake off of 189 with the boat ramp about half a mile north of it near Charleston? Never been I'm just looking at a map.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Hustler, broadening your horizons, eh? You are correct in your location for the "island". In the low water conditions, it is a peninsula, but you can see by the high water marks that it DOES sit out there by itself at peak high water.

That area is not only good for safe launching of inflatables, but is traditionally some of the best fishing around the lake too. The rocks continue out into the lake for a ways and serve as attractive structure for bass, walleye and perch.

With the higher water temps and heavy recreational boating activity, the fish are deeper and more difficult right now than they will be after Labor Day. You may be able to pick up a few smallies at daybreak, pitching in to the shore and bouncing your tubes, Senkos or other plastics down the sloping bottom. Even walleyes sometimes stay shallow until the light comes up and boats come out.

Once the sun is bright, you will likely have to either drag nightcrawlers near the bottom in 20 to 30 feet of water...or find a concentration of fish and do some vertical jigging...with spoons, plastics or baitbugs.

Without a sonar, it can be tough fishing this time of year...or any time on Deer Creek. There are some pretty experienced and savvy anglers that know Deer Creek well, and they don't always score. That can be a very frustrating lake.

I doubt this will hit your screen before you have left for the lake...if you are a serious fisherman...but maybe serve as reinforcement for whatever you learn in fishing it yourself for the first time. Good luck and get a report on the boards when you get back.
[signature]
Does anyone know what time of the day is more productive? Ive heard that the eves can be good but like I said I havent been there in quite some time. Are there any active fish right now besides smallmouth? Browns, eyes, perch?
[signature]
I haven't left yet. I was planning on hitting it late about 5:00. I'm not sure I want to go after your reply[Sad]. I don't need to get skunked another day. Thank's for the reply TD. I heard that the evening was better than the morning at DC and that catching some smallies wouldn't be difficult. I guess I'll never know unless I try.

Al
[signature]
[cool]The best time to go is whenever you can. Deer Creek, like most other waters goes through cycles. Sometimes one time is better than another...for one day or several in a row. With the full moon upon us, the evening might be better than after the predators have fed all night in a full moon situation.

Go forth and smite them. At the very least you can learn some new water and the structure. That makes it easier on the next trip. It's all part of paying your dues.
[signature]
Thanks for all the info TD. Seems like you've always got wise words that make sense.
[signature]
I haven't been this week as I had a trip to San Deigo I had to make. But for the last few weeks it has treated me well in the early morning hours. With the full moon here it may just be the time to switch to evening fishing. FB2 and I have taken our toll on the lake at night.

I have been haing my best success floating and fishing the deeper water off the steep declines of the lake. Haven't had a lot of succes with plastic as yet, but the jointed Rapalas (and others) have been doing the job for me. When they are not working I go back to my favorite ...... nightcrawlers. The island is always consistance you will either catch fish or you wont. But if you get into them it seems that you can catch a little of everything, pearch, bass, walleye, trout, and let us not forget the huge carp that patrol those waters. Good luck guys and save some for the rest of us.
[signature]
Hey there Road, how the heck have ya been? thanks for the advice![Wink] We need to goout and get our lines wet! were having another perch party on the 6th of september. You gonna go?
[signature]
As it sits today I wouldn't miss it. How about next sat on wetting the lines ....... you pick the place <grins>
[signature]
Sounds good! Give me a few days to make a decision on the water.[cool]
[signature]