Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Fork Salmon River CG Closed?
A couple of days ago, I read that the South Fork Salmon River campground near Warm Lake is closed due to flooding. With the number of anglers headed that way in the pursuit of Chinook, I figured someone on here would have some additional details?

Is the flood damage REALLY bad? Anyone have any pictures they could share?

This really bums me out. Before it burned a few years ago, this used to be one of our favorite places to camp. And I think the forest service just finished repairing it last year from the fire.
[signature]
I saw some pictures in the paper where the picnic tables where underwater. I didn't even know that it had been open since the fire.
[signature]
The campground was only open for a short time and they were not charging for staying there as there was no drinking water. We were there when the big rains hit and it was very exciting as the river came up quickly and the big trees from the fire were comming down the river. The primary damage to the campground is the road leading in. The road was being undercut by the river on the bend just as you turn off the highway, perhaps 100 yds from the highway. I have attached two photos one taken from where the undercut was hapening. and one where the river was covering the road in the campground. only two camp sites had water in them.
My Wife and I marveled at the power the river has as we took it all in.
[signature]
Wow, I would not like to have been in your shoes when the river started rising! Thanks for the info and for posting the pictures. We're headed up that way in the next couple of weeks. I'll have to stop and snap some pictures of the damage when the water is lower and wander thru the campground.
[signature]
This reply goes back a few weeks but I thought I'd post a quick reply, sorta to my own original question.

South Fork Campground is indeed closed, gate is locked. Damage to the road on the way into the campground has been under-cut. It's not all that bad, really. But if I were hauling a big 5th wheel, I'd be a bit nervous. Especially in wet conditions. The remainder of the campground was more or less as I remember it from last year when I walked thru it. Hopefully, USFS will repair the road and get it open again.

My 1.5 year old boy and I visited the fish trap located not far from the campground. Whiteboard said they had counted 1700 fish so far this year with about 450 of those wild.

I hope someone finds this info useful.
[signature]
Thanks for the info.. I hope they fix the road also, it was a great camping spot. Did you guys get to spot some fish in the river?
[signature]
Nope. At least nowhere aside from the actaul fish trap.

It was still a good trip, though. I'm hoping to light the spark in my boy while he's young so we can enjoy many fishing trips together when he gets a bit older.
[signature]