Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
deer unit 73 SUCCESS!
So i noticed that the unit 73 in southern idaho is an unlimited tag unit, however you must put in to draw the tag out. Is there a specific reason for this or do they just want your 10$ application fee. Also does anybody know why it went from 4 points or better to any buck. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
kody
[signature]
Unit 73 has a ton of deer, the area was a two point area for quite a few years and until last year was an open buck hunt. The hunt is only about 10 days long. They had it a draw to limit the number of hunters that hunt the area.
[signature]
did you mean a 4 point or better area????
i assume the draw eliminates the tons of people that buy last minute tags????cause it has a unlimited tags quota???
Well anyways i was just asking cause i am an outta stater and was questioning if i was gonna go purchase the tag (i drew) or not, but i have done some research and found there is tons of public forest land and like you said high numbers of deer, so i am gonna cough up the 300$ to try and shoot a deer there too .
thanks for the info
kody
[signature]
Yes it is a 4 point or BETTER area.

The unit has some interesting genetics, there are a lot of 4x5s,

They do unlimited tags for the first draw only, if you don't draw you can't hunt the area no second chances.

But it is a blast to bow hunt and that is a general archery tag area. Not to many people bow hunt it for muleys, so there are alot of deer to choose from, but it is very open and you will blow alot of stalks in the open sage if your not slow.

Good Luck
[signature]
there also isnt alot of public land in this unit. maily private. but i agree the deer here are doing well, compared to what it was when they first made it the 2point unit. I am glad to see the 4 point only taken off. I think it was realy hurting the genetics, i saw some monster 3 pointers near the 30 inch range during the 4 point only and all we could do was take pictures.
[signature]
Thanks, i did draw a tag and from my understanding it is a any buck area now. I ordered maps from the idaho fish and game and there seems to be a good amount of forest land north and south of deep creek and the weston reservoir areas??? I know there is a ton of deer that winter on the I-15 side of the that mountain range so i figure they just move back up in the hills during the summer.
If all else fails i will try to shoot a river bottom buck over off my uncles farm in fairview we seen 4 bucks during the pheasant hunt down in his bear river bottoms last year and there are some roaming around this year too. I am gonna try to fill the meat tag here in utah with the muzzy and then steal a trophy from you idahoans with the rifle. [Wink]
thanks for the info,
[signature]
if i were you i would stick to those river bottom bucks. Im guessing your uncle is kirk? just guessing by your last name. my grandfather owns the land just across the river and to the north. There is a dandy of a buck down there this year perfect 4x4 and right around 30 inches.
[signature]
Yup, that would be him. Do you know him at all???
I have been doing a tad bit of scouting and your right, stay on the river bottoms.
Hopefully a nice one shows its face, there is a pretty good herd in that area so i am gonna be a little picky but hell who knows i might shoot the first one i see.
[signature]
ya i know him. i usualy hit him up to go down there once or twice a year. my family owns the cabin straight across the river from him.

i would be patient and just sit the hill in the morning and night. as soon as they start cutting the corn the deer will start to wander a bit more.
[signature]
Headed up for the hunt sunday morning all packed up with the trailer and all to spend the week. Short story Long 2 bucks down within 10 yards of each other before the sun broke the mountain, i guess i will go fishing for the rest of the week.
[signature]
Nice job, enjoy the fishing [Smile]
[signature]
Sweet! Way to go. Thanks for sharing the pics. Tell us about the rifles used, shot conditions, etc. Need.......more.......info.[Wink]
[signature]
way to go!!! i talked to kirk yesterday and he said you guys shot 2. i had been seeing that 3 point up in the fields for about 2 weeks. neither was that big 5x5 i had seen earlier in the year.
[signature]
We didn't spend too much time looking for any bigger bucks but i will probably get that tag next year and put in some time to find a bigger one. There is lots of deer in that area right now.
iwantabuggy: I shot mine with a 270 short mag and my uncle took his with a 270 both winchesters. I would say no farther than 75yards. we were straight above them close so it wasn't too hard of shots.
[signature]