Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba July 10
We hit Yuba bright and early Saturday morning. We launched our little tin fishing boat from the painted rocks marina and headed out on our journy. As usual the wind was whipping and finding somewhat calm water proved to be difficult. We did find some calm waters in Walleye bay, but the only thing we caught the whole day were a bunch of little carp (12") off a night crawler. We casted perpendicular to the shore line the whole time with big spoons, spinners, and crankbaits. No hits. We then tried traditional trout tactics with smaller presentations and still no hits from the ellusive pike. By about noon the wind really kicked up and we ended up soaked by the time we got back to the marina after feeling like the deadliest catch crew taking the overspray as the bow hit the water between each wave. Overall we were pretty turned off by the reservoir, the wind is somewhat constant there which makes for a miserable time. I tip my hat to anyone who has caught a pike out of there! So after that me and my two buddies hit our favorite honey hole in Utah county and ended up landing a couple nice browns and a huge carp. This made us feel better after practically getting skunked at Yuba. Afterall catching nothing but 12" carp can be considered "skunked" right?

Oh I've got to note that we did some trolling the night before and I managed to snag my bottom bouncing rig and consequently strung out my whole spool and snapped the line as it slipped through my hand. Talk about depressing. It would have been worth it had we landed a four footer.
[signature]
That about mirrors our trip there a week ago. I have no idea how anyone catches real fish on that miserable lake. Wind, dirty water and nothing but carp all over the place. Drain it and put some trout back in![:p]
[signature]
put in the time, and you will catch the fish. certain days you can boat multiple fish. certain days you won't get a strike. this year, it's smaller fish, like say 13"-15" fish mainly, or at least that are following my baits. thats what the guys are catching that fish, and work the booth, as you come in off the freeway, on your way to the turnoff to west beach, or painted rocks. I was surprised. two years ago we didn't boat anything under twenty two inches or so, but at least there is reproduction taking place. fish are there. just put in the time. I got blown off on the fourth, but still had two or three follow my fly til they about struck my fin, while I was tubing. I target the shore, and fish back to my tube. seems like even the bigger fish are in three to five foot of water. perch frenzy's, and HUGE rainbow rapala's have taken fish in the past. If you have a white boat, and no motor, take it. the pike would come right up to our boat... practically right alongside. I'd put the bait down over 'em, twitch it, and they would lunge. fish on! And that is the truth. we also took smaller fish just targeting fishy areas, and bouncing/pausing after you run that crankbait into a rock.
[signature]
Usually if you find the perch you will have pike and walleye in the vicinity thats how i have always caught my pike. Last year my wife was killing the perch so i casted out for pike and i ended up catching 7 in one area . I always search the perch then i fish for pike. I wouldnt give up on yuba just have patience.
[signature]
[indent]my buddy just caught a 19 lb pike outta there. if they drain it the same problems would probably return. who wants to fish for trout anyway[Wink]
[/indent]
[signature]
Dude with the right conditions yuba grows huge trout! But pike are also fun to catch too! [Wink]
[signature]