Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing provo river out of jordenell.
If any one can help with what drie fly or wet fly would work the best i would be thankful.
[signature]
Fish Getter,

Try fishing up or down the access below the dam. Smaller flies is usually the way to go on any section of the provo. More specifically, size 18 and smaller. Pheasant Tail and Hare's Ear nymphs work well with and without beadheads. Grey sow bugs as well. If you head out in the evening, I would recommend throwing Caddis dryflies (elk hair, or Goddard) around size 16. Caddis pupae are also a good bet this time of year. A friend of mine also does well on yellow humpies (again size 16).

You might want to try:

[url "http://www.fishwest.net/utah/currentconditions/index.htm"]http://www.fishwest.net/utah/currentconditions/index.htm[/url]

Good luck!

ES
[signature]
Thanks for the tip. I have lots of the deer tail nymphs. Thats what was working up in island park last week when I was there. Once again thanks.

My your hook always stay active.
[signature]
This time of year, if you get to the river when the sun is high in the sky, put on a big foam hopper or chernobyl (my favorite) size 6-10 and then drop a sow bug or some kind of scud or nymph size 14-18 off the curve or the hook about 12-18 inches. Should get most hits on the nymph so watch your hopper as an indicator. A few will come out from hiding to hit your hopper as well, and when they do it's usually a heck of a hit. I've been using this rig for a long time at all locations on the provo and it is always my go to setup when I'm struggling. I used to fish the middle provo before the reconstruction and then stopped when it started, but have recently began fishing it again. I'll be up there tomorrow morning in fact.
[signature]
I've never rigged anything like that before. Can you post a picture of it?
[signature]
FFM, I don't have the means of taking a pic (no digital camera), but all it is a hopper (that floats well) tied on to the tippet as usual. Then, just tie a 12-18 inch (depending on the water depth this length can vary) piece of tippet (I like to use smaller tippet here) to the bend of the hopper's hook. Then tie on your nymph. So...you have two flies in line so it goes leader-tippet-hopper-tippet-nymph. It's called the hopper with dropper or something like that. It's pretty popular on the provo. My grandpa showed me it years ago. He fished the provo for 50 plus years.
[signature]
Thanks, I had it all wrong in my mind. I thought you had it tied above the hopper on a longer leader/tippet I couldn't fihure how you kept it from getting tangled up.
[signature]
You can put it above the hopper on a shorter piece of tippet tied to the leader with a dropper loop knot. I prefer to tie it the way I described, however, because it keeps everything in a straight line. Much easier to cast and a lot less tangles.
[signature]
I can see that, I need to make things as simple as possible until I get fully educated in the art form of true flyfishing, until then its jury-rigged for effect and God help anyone or anything who/that gets in the way, including me.

Dangerous aren't we
[signature]
When I fish the provo I run into a lot of guys that think that in all you got to do to become an expert fly fisherman is to go to orvis and drop a thousand or two. Believe me, if I had the means I probably would too but I'm satisfied with just catchin' fish. I'll use any fishin' technique that will get me into some fish. And belive me, I've used a lot of techniques that got me into nothing but tangles. Also, when my fly hits me in the back of the head on a windy day, I'm glad the hat I'm wearing was free (with sports illustrated subscription) and not $50.
[signature]
I agree whole heartedly. My first flyrod was given to me it was an old thomas & thomas, I broke it but didn't know what I had, didn't think I could fix it and threw it out. My 2nd was also given to me last year, and I'm learning how to use it slowly....I am now on a 3rd flyrod...one I could not pass up but it was on the cheap an mere $10 homemade fiberglass rod someone's father made and let his wife sell for almost nothing at a family garage sell, I also picked up a very nice fishing vest at the same place for $4. It is a very nice 5/6 weight and I like its action very much. Now I just need to find a good cheap/used reel for it...still looking...I have to fish on a very tight budget. so almost everything I have is in the gently used catagory.
[signature]
My advice on a fly reel, is to remember that it really doesn't do much. It just holds your line. You can spend absurd amounts on a reel that has a nice drag on it, but in my experience I've never really said, "damn, wish I had a better drag on this reel." You can use your hands on your reel if you're lucky enough to hook a fish that requires such action. Another thing, a cheap really doesn't hurt so bad when you drop it and it bounces off a rock. My reel looks like it's been hiding in a cave with Osama for the last five years, but it still holds the line.

My two dollars
[signature]
Pfleuger and Okuma make very reasonably priced reels, around 20-30 dollars brand new. Any of the major dept stores (K-mart, Wallyworld, etc) carry Pfleuger reels.

I have one of each and love them. They do what a fly reel needs to do . . . hold line. If you ever do play a fish on the reel, each has a more than adequate drag system for the fish we play with around here.

Best of luck to you! Flyfishing is the one area I actually feel somewhate confident enough to give advice on, so PM me if you would like more info on fishing the Lower Provo.
[signature]
Just make sure that you NEVER EVER EVER buy a South Bend fly reel...or a south bend ANYTHING for that matter! My first fly reel was a south bend, and yes all it needs to do is hold your line, but on south bend (and I'm sure other brands too) there is a little switch that changes the reel to free spinning and back to "drag" (that makes the clicking noise as line goes out...I hope everyone knows what I'm talking about, I'm not being very descriptive). This little switch broke inside and so it was always set to free spool. The reel still holds the line, but when your extra line is laying by your side in the water, the current takes ahold of it and keeps dragging more and more off of your reel. It was brand new. So I took it back to Wal-Mart, and got it replaced (WalMart will take anything back just about, so at least that's something). Anyway, a couple of months later the exact same thing happened to the replacement so I just said forget it and I have a Martin (also a cheap brand, but this one works) and it works great. Well, just my 2 cents.
[signature]
Good point Cat_Man, a person can go too cheap. The one thing I have to complain about the Pfleuger Medalist is that it does not have an exposed rim.

[url "http://www.eaglesportscenter.com/products/pflueger/graphics/preel02.jpg"][Image: preel02.jpg][/url]

Exposed rims allows you to add drag by placing your palm on the reel for those bigger and fiestier fish. I rarely play a fish from the reel, unless 1)all the line was out anyway when I hooked into the fish or 2) I'm dealing with a larger fish (2 lbs+). That's one of the things I like about playing a fish by hand. I can feel the rod reacting, but I also feel the fish pulling in the line hand as well.

See you on the water!

ES
[signature]
All good points. I'll probably use the gift certificate from Hooked Tackle I got at the first Perch Party to help pay for a new reel. Thanks for the advice
[signature]
For us who occasionally fish with flies, but not with a fly rod, would this technique work for trolling with two flies? (I wonder about the impact of the fish having the leader for the second fly hitting its mouth as it tries to bite the first fly?) I have been known to tie a fly directly to monofilament and send it down my downrigger at Strawberry. Amazing how many nice fish one can catch trolling with a fly 25 feet deep at strawberry!
[signature]
You could always give it a try trolling say wooly buggers or something, but I would recommend maybe using a dropper loop. If you tie a dropper loop in your leader/line about say 3 feet above your main fly, you can then attach another piece of leader/line to the dropper loop but I would make this piece shorter than the distance from the dropper loop to the main fly. The dropper loop is a nice knot because it makes a loop perpendicular to your line, thus you can attach another piece of line with minimal tangles. If you do an internet search you're sure to find directions on this technique as well as how to tie the dropper loop.
[signature]
I forgot to mention...I haven't noticed any more missed strikes on the main fly because of the lead attached to it at the bend of the hook. I do, however, generally use a really light piece for the dropper fly, say a 6x tippet or even smaller, or maybe 2 lb test. I don't think it really hinders the hook setting even if you use thicker leaders/tippets, but it may deter the fish from taking the fly if it sees the line.
[signature]
Be careful though at how cheap you go for your reel, some of the cheaper ones are metal bricks that can throw your balance off when casting. And after a long day of fishing it is always nice to have lighter gear. I myself have had an Okuma Sierra 5/6 for about 4 years now, it's lightweight, tough and I highly reccomend it.

Always fishing,

barbless
[signature]