Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 7/18/2010
So I washed the Willard skunk off today but I still didn't get what I was looking for. I fished the southwest corner from 7-9 AM with not so much as a bite. I threw everything I had with me ratltraps, curly-tail jigs, swim baits, everything. I decided I wasn't done fishing yet though so I headed around to the north dike. It was still pretty slow but I managed a couple little smallmouths on ratltraps.

How do I catch Wiper from the shore!?!?!? I need help! I've been driving myself crazy trying to catch them.
[signature]
Well most of the wipers i catch from shore are on just a worm filled with a little air so it stays off the bottom. I also do alright with a maraboo jig tip with worm under a bobber. But i have not really fished from shore this year that much.
[signature]
Hmm, I'll have to try that. I saw a guy catching them on something under bobber the other night but I couldn't tell what It was.

That was the most frustrating thing, I had been there for probably an hour and a half throwing most of my tackle-box. Then he shows up and starts fishing 50 ft from me and his line is screaming the whole time.

I'll get these fish figured out one of these days.
[signature]
[quote chickendude1234]

I saw a guy catching them on something under bobber the other night but I couldn't tell what It was.

[/quote]

Did you try visiting with him to see what he was using? Most, but certainly not all, anglers are willing to share what they are using if they are asked nicely.
[signature]
I did not try visiting with him. I know a lot of people will share if you ask nicely but I've always hated bothering people when they're fishing. I've had some encounters with some real jerks when out fishing so I try to avoid other fisherman all together.

I figured that I was a capable fisherman and could figure it out on my own. The thought had never really crossed my mind to give them the panfish treatment and suspend a jig under a bobber.
[signature]
I had every intention of getting out to Willard Sunday before dawn. Alas - sleepy boy, too many "last minutes" - we hit the water at about 8 instead of the intended 6 am.

Toodled around the south marina and spotted up LOADS of fish in the area just outside the inlet. Lots of carp flopping around. We accidentally "drifted" into the inlet - and I hooked up on a yellow minnow pattern - but he shook off before I could decide if it was a bass or walleye. So I'll just tell myself it was a walleye!!! Was SO hopeful we'd start of the day by shaking off the skunk. Alas.

Continued to spot up fish in the deeper middle - lots of carp wallowing around. Dragged some jigs and worms - pitched that minnow and a couple other cranks. Nada. Got to the actual inlet - welcomed by some bank tanglers with the call of "you'll get a ticket". I guess my hope that being a bitty boat under electric only would be ok - was told "any motor".
So TD - do you use your motor when you tube up there, or flipper power only?
I'll have to ask the ranger - no-one at the gate when I came in. Maybe if I play row-boat and go under oars only?! Probably scare off all the fish.

So we headed out to try to find "the island" (didn't) dragged a few lines around out from the feedlot, no results. Stopped and jigged for a while where we spotted up some fish. Spots with schools sitting down below 15 feet. Dangled minnows and worms on a few jigs. Pitched some cranks. Not even a kitty came to call.

Looked for birds, looked for boils. Son was hot, and frustrated - so started hating fishing, never going to come again. Sigh. Trolled across to the light pole (first time). Pitched into the shore, but it looked like more fish out where it dropped down to 25 ft. The boy got excited again when we spotted a dead carp floating - let him net it up, just not bring it in the boat! It was a bit chewed up, eyes plucked - not worthy of cut-bait.

Was going to drag to the SW corner, but cut short by crocodile tears. Trolled back to the marina - son drove, so that was better (he could go fast, well fast for US).
We got some worms nibbled at by some small bass and bluegills in the marina's cove. Tried pitching more jigs at the schools OUTSIDE the inlet. No takers still.

Parked up the boat and went to get the car. Told my boy to chase so gills by the dock, or offer some bread to the carp. As I'm backing down the launch he's all excited to tell me how he dropped the bread in right in front of a carp-face, and bam! Did the best he could just to hold his ground - couldn't get to the net, nor hold the rod with one hand, and got broke off. Probably a 2ft fish - so NOW he is excited about fishing again! Wants to hit Benson with me and target carp. Duoh!

Chatted with a nice pair of gents with a boat from Arkanas - river fishers, new to boat and wipers. But they had encouraging stories to tell, and showed me the types of lures they're using and strategies (look for birds). Seemed like some of the same options I've been pitching and dragging.
Big difference - they're going out at 5pm to dark. So - some evening, I'm gonna make another run. Also suggested using a rubber snubber for walleye's soft-mouths. Heard that for Koke's, but hadn't for walleyes.

So - discouraged and encouraged - and more "boils" discussions are gonna keep me trying. Maybe next time I'll hit the right time and the right place!
[signature]
"So TD - do you use your motor when you tube up there, or flipper power only?"

[cool][#0000ff]The only times I have fished up into the channel have been while in a "non-powered" tube. And I have been seen by rangers and never challenged. On one occasion when I asked a ranger about it the reply was something along the line of simply trying to keep the power squadron out of the channel. I never go much above about the halfway point. Better fishing within 100 yards of the buoy anyway.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]My opinion is that you DON'T need a rubber snubber for walleyes. They DON'T have tender mouths like kokanees. In fact I often double set when I hook a walleye to be sure to get good hook penetration in their hard jaws...and I sometimes lose fish that I don't set hard. Walleye often bite very lightly and a snubber might make it more difficult to detect their bite. Just my opinion.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
good for you young man, that is the best response i have ever read on the internet.we need to fish together sometime. almost put a tear in my eye lol.[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]