Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hybrid vs. Cutt.
There was some discussion on the difference between a cutt and a Hybid at Henrys. (I image Chromejunky locked that post because it was getting too far off topic.)

I believe that Dgallen's fourth pic is a hybrid. I have heard from good sources that the two biggest indicators are the squished appearace of the dots and the fact that there are dots on the head above the gill plate.

You can see the squished dots clearly. Cutts have more perfectly round spots.

Some hybids have more of an orange throat than others.

Windriver
[signature]
Either way those Henry's are beautiful fish!
Interesting about the dots being an indicator. I have also heard that most hybrids have white tipped fins.
[signature]
I have also heard about the white fin tips. I will have to watch for the dots and see if any have the different dots and white fin tips..

jim[fishin]
[signature]
Here is a picture of one of my hybrids from Henrys. I know it is not that big, but I mounted it because it reminds me of a special time with my son. It is 26". The mount was painted from pics. Notice the squished spots and the dots on the head. Indicators of a hybrid.

Windriver
[signature]
[laugh] Gotta love a place where you can say "it's not that big, only 26"![laugh][laugh] Nice fish
[signature]
I am no expert, but all of the info I have seen on the hybrids is that they will have white tips. Maybe the white tip thing only applies to Snake River hybrids, but I would think a rainbow/yellowstone cutthroat hybrid would be the same wherever you are. I have seen literature about the hybrids on the Snake River and signs on the river that say white tips is the key to distinguish a hybrid or rainbow. It would be interesting to know if the Henry's hybrids don't have white tips.
[signature]
Ya, you are right about that. Henrys is special. That year I caught 8 ice fishing that went in that size range. Released all the rest.

Since you are into fisheries biology. Do you have access to Damon so he can end this discussion and tell us the truth about the spots and the white tips etc...?

Windriver
[signature]
WR,

I would not call that mounted fish a Hybrid based on my experiences at Henry's. Looks like a Cutt to me. The Hybrids I have pulled out of there look at lot different and I agree with others that they have white tipped fins. Either way, beautiful fish.

On another note, Hybrids fight completely different also. You hook into a Hybrid and you know it! They jump, they run, they fight. The cutts just seem to laze around and shake their heads back and forth by comparison. Not that I don't think the Cutts fight, its just not the same.

All, I wasn't try to bag on anyone in the other thread. I was just pointing out that it didn't look like a hybrid to me. Sorry for hijacking his thread. Also sorry if anyone was offended. Henry's is truly a magical place, one I wish I made it to more often. I am also very pleased to see that there seems to be a lot more Brookies than their used to be.[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
WR. I just got off the phone with Damon. Here is what he said.

He said they even end up with three groups. The definite Hybrid, the definite Cutt and the I don't know...seriously.

Things to look for. First off he stresses, look at the whole fish.

Cutthroat are more torpedo shaped when compares to equal sized Hybrid and Hybrid more football shaped.

The white tip is NOT a good test in the lake (river yes) as non tested had the white tips.

Spots on a Cutt are more circular shaped where Hybrids are more irregular (even that moon shape).
Plus on a Hybrid, spots on the head and below the lateral line.
Hybrids can be yellowish in color and generally, the Hybrid is going to be the bigger fish.

So going with the SHAPE idea...the last post on the other post and the two had are very FAT (football shaped) so definitely HYBRIDS.
Shelly's is more torpedo (plus color) definitely Cutthroat.

Does this help?
[signature]
Your fine I don't think anybody is offended.[cool]

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks for calling Damon. He is the authority on Henrys Lake hybrids and cutts.

If anybody else has close up examples to post I hope they post them so people can see the difference.

As you know you don't even have to look at them if you hook up with them the fight is not even comparable.

Thanks Again,

Windriver
[signature]
what about one shaped like this? [Wink]

[inline "humpback cutty.jpg"]
[signature]
[quote windriver]Thanks for calling Damon. He is the authority on Henrys Lake hybrids and cutts.

If anybody else has close up examples to post I hope they post them so people can see the difference.

As you know you don't even have to look at them if you hook up with them the fight is not even comparable.

Thanks Again,

Windriver[/quote]

Can't really agree with that personally. I think size is a big factor, not so much species.
I have been broke off by both....LOL
[signature]
Color kind of a give away there[Wink] I guess things like that happen while they are small.....but it is still more torpedo than football.....sort of[crazy][laugh]
[signature]
[Image: henryshybrids.jpg] hybrids
[signature]
Shape and spots below lateral...Hybrid?
[signature]
[Image: henrysday2-1.jpg]
Cutt, Cutt, Hybrid, ???
[signature]
Hybrid, Cutt, Hybrid, probly cutt

Hybrid's are more silver and have a more pronounced rainbow also they don't have the yellowish-gold color
[signature]
According to Damon, the Cutthroat are a little Yellowish[crazy]

Please make note about the Cutthroat,....sorry about that
[signature]
four hybrids
[signature]